Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Bookmark improv

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments I was just reading at the new house we are building and needed a bookmark. The only thing I could find to use was a screwdriver. Tickets, receipts, envelopes, torn bits of newspaper, leaves.... I have used some strange 'bookmarks' but this one takes the cake.

Anyone else utilizing less than conventional bookmarks?

message 2: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments I love discussions about unusual bookmarks!

The other day I was going to get a warm-up on my coffee and when I went to set down my book on the sofa I couldn't find my bookmark. My solution? The cat's tail! :lol: (He was still sound asleep, being a good bookmark, when I came back with my coffee.)

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2785 comments My favorites are my old Toastmaster ribbons. What else do you do with them?!

message 4: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments dalex wrote: "I love discussions about unusual bookmarks!

The other day I was going to get a warm-up on my coffee and when I went to set down my book on the sofa I couldn't find my bookmark. My solution? The ca..."

Oh that is too funny. I don't think my cat would allow me to keep my face if I tried that but in a desperate situation I might still try it :)

message 5: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments Pam wrote: "My favorites are my old Toastmaster ribbons. What else do you do with them?!"

Oh, I wish I had my old 4H ribbons. Wouldn't they make pretty bookmarks? They are pretty useless otherwise. Lol

message 6: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments I collect bookmarks, I have a box full of them .... but if you check the books when I am reading them, I am usually using a piece of tissue, an old receipt or any kind of paper I can find :P

message 7: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 24, 2018 02:57PM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8323 comments Mod
Silvia wrote: "I collect bookmarks, I have a box full of them .... but if you check the books when I am reading them, I am usually using a piece of tissue, an old receipt or any kind of paper I can find :P"

Throughout all of my childhood, I'd use tissues for bookmarks! My parents and friends would give me tons, and I would just stash them away and use tissues instead. Why? I don't know haha.

Now I mostly use the same one or two bookmarks. I have a leather one from Etsy that I use in my hardcovers and a regular one that has a quote from The Fault in Our Stars that I use in my paperbacks.

message 8: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "Oh that is too funny. I don't think my cat would allow me to keep my face if I tried that but in a desperate situation I might still try it :) "

Hahaha!

message 9: by Ana AZ (new)

Ana AZ (anabana_a) | 514 comments I like pretty bookmarks but I don't like using them because I almost always lose my bookmarks. Post-its are good for me though because they're hard to lose since they stick to the book.

I have a friend who strictly uses only tissues for bookmarks. She says since tissues are very thin, they won't damage the book. :o

message 10: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
dalex wrote: "I love discussions about unusual bookmarks!

The other day I was going to get a warm-up on my coffee and when I went to set down my book on the sofa I couldn't find my bookmark. My solution? The ca..."

bahahahahaha dalex, this is great!!!!

message 11: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Most recent bookmarks this week have been a pen, and the check out/due date printout from the library which is folded in half because it is so long lol.

My older daughter has started reading chapter books and I have no idea where she picked up this horrible habit, but she dog ears her pages ......I cringe every time :/

message 12: by Ira (new)

Ira | 309 comments I am a bookmark collector as well I have some very nice ones and a friend that feeds my addiction to bookmarks by making some for me. I have become better at actually using them. There was a period I used nothing as a bookmark. I was just good at remembering were I was in the book, I have no idea how I did it.... I just closed the book, and when I wanted to pick it up, I just found exactly where I had left off.

message 13: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 426 comments I bought a pack of jumbo playing cards and a pack of Star Wars cards and mostly use those. Except when I don’t. I also use boarding passes, receipts, bits of cardboard ripped off pain killer boxes, emery boards/nail files, and the plastic case for the emery board. I do have some pretty book marks as well.

message 14: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments Silvia wrote: "I collect bookmarks, I have a box full of them .... but if you check the books when I am reading them, I am usually using a piece of tissue, an old receipt or any kind of paper I can find :P"

I have tons of bookmarks that I have made and I always forget to have one handy when I need one. Duh. I have used a tissue before, usually when I start a new book in a drs office. That's what they are there for, right? Lol

message 15: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments Tracy wrote: "Most recent bookmarks this week have been a pen, and the check out/due date printout from the library which is folded in half because it is so long lol.

My older daughter has started reading chapt..."

Oh the horror! I guess we should just be happy she is reading but still.... Dogearing pages???? That gives me shivers. Lol

message 16: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments Jacqueline wrote: "I bought a pack of jumbo playing cards and a pack of Star Wars cards and mostly use those. Except when I don’t. I also use boarding passes, receipts, bits of cardboard ripped off pain killer boxes,..."

I have a stack of really old playing cards that I used to keep beside my bed too use as bookmarks. They are in storage at the moment. I will be very glad to get them back. They also worked great as backings for artists trading cards that I used to make. Which now that I think about it, I have also used artist trading cards as bookmarks (my own not anything made by another artist of course)

I do have a Spock bookmark beside the bed but I rarely use it. It's magnetic and double thickness to grab the pages but it's heavy and falls out of the books a lot. I also found that the way it is shaped that his elbows leave little rips in the pages sometimes. So he has been demoted from bookmark to table decor.

message 17: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2018 08:14AM) (new)

°~Amy~° wrote:
Oh the horror! I guess we should just be happy she is reading but still.... Dogearing pages???? That gives me shivers. Lol

Right? When she starts breaking the spines I'm really going to lose it!

They also worked great as backings for artists trading cards that I used to make. Which now that I think about it, I have also used artist trading cards as bookmarks (my own not anything made by another artist of course)

This just gave me the most amazing excuse to start making artist trading cards, which is something i have been wanting to do forever!!

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz | 509 comments Ugh, breaking the spines. Don’t even say it! It hurts to much! 😩😂

message 19: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Liz wrote: "Ugh, breaking the spines. Don’t even say it! It hurts to much! 😩😂"

See, this is why I love to come here, because you guys just get it.....

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments The weirdest things I've used are hairbands, camera memory cards and earrings. I have a ton of bookmarks from ordering from Book Depository, as well as souvenirs from when I travel, yet I still often seem to find myself lacking & having to improvise.

message 21: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments Liz wrote: "Ugh, breaking the spines. Don’t even say it! It hurts to much! 😩😂"

Truth!

message 22: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments Tracy wrote: "
This just gave me the most amazing excuse to start making artist trading cards, which is something i have been wanting to do forever!!

Oh do start making them. They are so much fun!

message 23: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 426 comments I have Uhura in those magnetic bookmarks Amy. I sometimes use her but she usually stands with my Tardis cookie bin that makes the Tardis noise that sits beside my lounge chair. No biscuits or cookies in it though. Sometimes there is but when there is I eat them so it’s just better not to have any.

Playing cards are great. These were $2 for the pack and they’re massive jumbo ones (54 bookmarks for $2 is excellent and that’s 52 plus 2 jokers) and it doesn’t matter if you lose them and I let the kids take some at Christmas to use with the books I gave them. The Star Wars ones were for some little kids game like snap or go fish and there are multiples of each picture.