2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > September - Scientific Fields

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2018 11:11AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3429 comments SCIENTIFIC FIELDS
Duration: 1 September 2018 - 30 September 2018

There are many different branches of science:
* Natural sciences e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Ecology, Meteorology, Oceanography, Physics
* Social sciences which include Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology to name a few.
* Formal sciences such as Computer Science and Statistics
For this monthly challenge, we would like you to read as many books as you like about or featuring any branch of science. You can choose to read about different disciplines or just focus on one. You are also not limited to those mentioned above - they were just examples and a more detailed list can be found here.
Post below if you want to take part. From Astronomy to Zoology, we hope you have fun reading about science.

Kristina will be leading this challenge. Thank you!

message 2: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Hi - I can lead this challenge if you still need someone.

message 3: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3429 comments Kristina wrote: "Hi - I can lead this challenge if you still need someone."
Thanks for volunteering, Kristina!

message 4: by Kristina (last edited Oct 01, 2018 08:47PM) (new)

Kristina | 344 comments SCIENTIFIC FIELDS

Participants:
Brinda 0/3
Catherine 0/1
Cendaquenta 2/3
jb 0/3
Jennifer 3/3 - COMPLETED
Jessica 0/3
Kristin 0/1
Kristina 2/2 COMPLETED
Loni 0/2
Octothorpe Reader Leora K 4/5
Reija 3/3 COMPLETED
SarahKat 3/3 - COMPLETED
Sonja 4/4 - COMPLETED
Ziggy 3/3 - COMPLETED

message 5: by Ziggy (last edited Sep 19, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 717 comments I've already got two science books planned for September, so I'm definitely in for at least two:

1. The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World

2. On the Wing: To the Edge of the Earth with the Peregrine Falcon

I'm currently reading a book about mathematics, The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi, the World's Most Astonishing Number if that counts.

message 7: by Kristina (last edited Sep 30, 2018 11:05AM) (new)

Kristina | 344 comments I will set a goal for 2 books:

1) Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (astrophysics) Finished 9/30/2018

2) The Power of Self-Healing: Unlock Your Natural Healing Potential in 21 Days (nutrition/health science) Finished 9/23/2018

COMPLETED: 2/2

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Jennifer wrote: "I've already got two science books planned for September, so I'm definitely in for at least two:

1. The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World

2. [book:On t..."

Hi Jennifer - welcome to the challenge! Your book about mathematics will count if you finish it during the challenge timeframe (September 1st-30th).

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Ziggy wrote: "I will try for 3 books.

3."

Welcome, Ziggy!

message 10: by Octothorpe Reader Leora K (last edited Oct 01, 2018 12:13AM) (new)

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments SCIENTIFIC FIELDS

1. Physics - A Brief History of Time
1. Conservationism - An Elephant in My Kitchen
2. Agriculture - The Brave
3. Forensic Science - A Twist in Time
4. Electromagnetic Radiation (Radio frequency engineering) - All the Light We Cannot See
5. -

Goal: 5 Books
Completed: 4 Books

message 11: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3429 comments Octothorpe Reader Leora K wrote: "So this is not really my forte, as I normally stick to fiction, but I'll try for 1:

:)"

Just to let you all know that it doesn't have to be non-fiction - if any book you're reading features a branch of science, it counts here. For example, a fictional character may be a scientist

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments Rachael wrote: "Octothorpe Reader Leora K wrote: "So this is not really my forte, as I normally stick to fiction, but I'll try for 1:

:)"
Just to let you all know that it doesn't have to be non-fiction - if a..."

:D :D Update to message 10 - thanks Rachael

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ann (readncupcakes) | 66 comments Going to try for 3.

SCIENTIFIC FIELDS
1 September 2018 - 30 September 2018

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 607 comments Oh darn, does it count if I just started the book today but won't be able to finish it until September has already started?

message 15: by Reija (new)

Reija | 307 comments I try to read.. well, finish three books.

message 16: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3389 comments Catherine wrote: "Oh darn, does it count if I just started the book today but won't be able to finish it until September has already started?"

I always count my books for the month in which I finish them.

I am in for this as well. I will try for 3!

1. Physics: A Brief History of Time
2. Psychology: This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession
3. TBD

message 17: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Updated up to here. Welcome everyone!

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 607 comments I'm going to try for just one:

Agriculture: The Third Plate: Field Notes on the Future of Food

message 20: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 80 comments I love science books! I’ll try for three science books in September.

0/3 completed

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 717 comments Just finished The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi, the World's Most Astonishing Number.

I actually started this in August but finished it today.

I had to return The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World to the library way earlier than I expected, so I've revised my reading plans and will substitute The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution.

message 22: by Cendaquenta (last edited Sep 27, 2018 08:16PM) (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments Ooh, I've been saving most of my nonfiction books for Nonfiction November, but this does sound pretty cool... I'll sign up for three books with a possible fourth if I get through the others.

1. Raptor: A Journey Through Birds (natural history) ✔
2. The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: The Untold Story of a Lost World (palaeontology) ✔
3. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (medicine, biology maybe)

4?. NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and How to Think Smarter About People Who Think Differently (neurology/psychology)

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 717 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "Ooh, I've been saving most of my nonfiction books for Nonfiction November, but this does sound pretty cool... I'll sign up for three books with a possible fourth if I get through the others.

1. [b..."

"Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs" is on my reading list and I'd like to do it this month if at all possible, so please let me know how you like it.

message 24: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments Will do. I've got high hopes for it as I attended Steve Brusatte's event at the Edinburgh International Book Festival and he was a really fascinating speaker - in fact he had so much to say that the event almost ran overtime.

message 25: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

message 26: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Updated up to here. Welcome new participants :)

message 27: by Jennifer (last edited Sep 08, 2018 04:18PM) (new)

Jennifer | 717 comments Because The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi, the World's Most Astonishing Number counts after all, I'm increasing my goal to three.

I just finished On the Wing: To the Edge of the Earth with the Peregrine Falcon. I had been hoping for a much more science-y book, but this turned out to be a mix of quest narrative and science, and there's at least as much "quest" as "science." However, there's some interesting discussion of peregrine falcon biology mixed in, and a discussion of how organochlorine pesticides are impacting bird life of all kinds, so I think it still counts.

2/3

message 28: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Hi Jennifer - I’ve updated your progress and your goal

message 29: by Loni (new)

Loni Keks (lonikeks) | 21 comments Hello!

I am very interested in astronomy and I wanted to read a book about it. So, it's perfect for me!
One of my goals is to read the Group Reads-book A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.
The second goal is to read Astronomie für Einsteiger by Werner Celnik and Hermann-Michael Hahn (astronomy for beginners).

Good luck with achieving your goals!
Loni <3

message 30: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Hi Loni - Welcome to the challenge and good luck to you as well :)

message 31: by BRINDA (new)

BRINDA GURUSAMY (brinsga) | 18 comments This sounds like an interesting monthly challenge!

I would like to go with 3 books.

A Briefer History of Time (Astronomy)
The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World (Biology)
Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ (Zoology)

I've also some found some interesting books from the reading lists of other participants. I would like to take them for later.

Good luck guys!

message 32: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Hi Brinda, I've added you to the participants list. Welcome and good luck!

message 35: by Octothorpe Reader Leora K (last edited Sep 16, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments Update to message 10
Goal updated to 5 Books

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 717 comments Recently finished The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution.

My thoughts on all three books I've read for this challenge can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... - posts 135, 138, and 142.

I'm currently reading Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup. It's about the fraudulent conduct and subsequent collapse of Theranos, a biotech startup company.

3/3

message 38: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Updated up to here. Congrats on completing your challenge Jennifer!

message 39: by Ziggy (new)

Ziggy | 1073 comments Completed challenge. 3/3. Books

message 40: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments Completed Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs. 1/3

message 41: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Updated up to here. Congratulations on completing your challenge Ziggy!

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 717 comments SarahKat wrote: "3/3 Complete!

Neurology: Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind by V.S. Ramachandran"

How was that book? It's been on my reading list for some time.

message 44: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3389 comments Jennifer wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "3/3 Complete!

Neurology: Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind by V.S. Ramachandran"

How was that book? It's been on my readi..."

I loved it! The cases were so interesting and the author has some humor. It's easy to understand if you don't have a background in neurology or psychology, but he doesn't treat the reader as an idiot either. I do have background in psychology, so some of the ailments he talks about I had heard before, but he comes at it differently.

message 45: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments Oh, forgot to post. I'm 2/3 on my challenge now, finished Raptor the other night. It was very good.

message 46: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Updated up to here. Great job completing your challenge SarahKat :)

message 47: by Reija (new)

message 48: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Great job, Reija!

Also, I'm happy to say I managed to complete my own challenge (I almost didn't make it lol)

message 49: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments I'm halfway through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks just now, it's probably going to take me till a couple days into October to finish it though.

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 607 comments I'm also not going to be finish my book by midnight tonight. It was worth a try though! Congratz to those who were able to accomplish their goal. :)

« previous 1