The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Middle Grade/YA Graphic Novel Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel Looking for graphic novel recommendations for the middle grade/YA crowd. Superhero stories are fine, but I'm looking for stuff more in line with The Stonekeeper and the like. Thanks!

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4265 comments A bit out of left field, but the Doctor Strange graphic novel "Into Shamballa" teaches an important lesson about humility. Only available used.

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3674 comments Mod
Ctgt wrote: "I'm a big fan of Bone, Vol, 1: Out from Boneville"

Bone is a great choice. It starts out as charming middle grade fantasy in the early volumes and gets slightly darker and more YA in the later volumes.

message 5: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1648 comments I Kill Giants may not be right for every middle schooler, but for those it is right for they will really appreciate it. I guess I would put it on the same development level as To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8927 comments Definitely Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy. To me the target audience feels like girls age 6-11.

I got my younger cousins (5-12) Adventure Time Vol. 1, which they loved.

For slightly older, the Science Fiction Galaxion Vol. 1: The Jump is good. Relationship stuff but no sex or bloody violence. The good news is that it started as a webcomic, which you can find here: http://galaxioncomics.com/1-comic/boo... Starts B&W but adds color later.

Misfit City Vol. 1 is a mostly-girl riff on The Goonies, with a touch of supernatural added to the “pirate treasure map” stuff. (In the comic the famous movie is called The Gloomies.)

On the superhero side, Takio was written by Bendis for his pre-teen daughters.

For slightly older kids in the 12-15 range you can’t go wrong with Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1. This is the best version of Spidey ever in my book, and I’ve been a fan since 1972.

Similarly, the first few Young Avengers books written by Alan Heinberg are masterful pieces of storytelling. Young Avengers, Volume 1: Sidekicks, Young Avengers, Volume 2: Family Matters, Avengers: The Children's Crusade.

And of course, Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1.