Play Book Tag discussion

I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death
This topic is about I Am, I Am, I Am
Archive: Other Books > I Am I Am I Am - Maggie O'Farrell, 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Novelist Maggie O'Farrell is one of my favorite authors. She writes smart and powerful fiction that explores the human condition, books that I have come to love. So when I heard her interviewed in 2017 about her newly published memoir, I knew I would have to read it. It took me some time to get to it, and I'm thrilled I finally made the time for it as it was every bit as good as her novels.

Her memoir is a collection of essays, each one detailing a brush with death, 17 in all. It was quite an interesting way to tell the story of one's life. Each essay produces insight into her life, and explains how she became the person she is today. And though I don't know that I would consider each a near death experience per sé, Bloodstream in particular, they were each unique and engaging, drawing out the human condition in much the same way her novels do.

I highly recommend that the reader takes their time with this book. I never read more than one or two essays at a time, and I feel that was the right method for reading this memoir. Read too fast, and the messages and lessons are diluted. Though I read the print version, I can imagine this making a very good audio selection.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review. I'm being introduced to so many authors I have not head of today! I love this. This sounds like an insightful read and I can see how reading through this slowly could make more of an impact.

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Thanks Rachel!

message 4: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I had my eye on this book and then forgot about it. Great review and thanks for the reminder!