The Sword and Laser discussion

Slan > Slan: September 2018 Pick: Slan by A. E. van Vogt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments From Patreon, in September we will be reading Slan by A.E. van Vogt.

Mods can move this to the appropriate folder.

message 2: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4267 comments Oh, so awesome! I love this book. I'm good for a reread any time.

message 3: by Mark (last edited Aug 24, 2018 11:54AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Found this on my shelf of old SF paperbacks. I don't remember reading it, but that's not unusual. I used to haunt used book stores and I'd pick up anything and everything that looked interesting. Edit: this edition published 1961.

message 4: by Mark (last edited Aug 24, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments So many cool old covers for Slan...

Fantastic Story Magazine, Summer 1952

message 5: by Dara (last edited Aug 24, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments It's only $3.99 on Kindle right now: https://www.amazon.com/Slan-van-Vogt-...

Mark, that's a great cover!

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments A Dell paperback from 1953

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments The first hardcover from 1946

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments The serialized first appearance in Astounding Science Fiction, September 1940 thru December 1940

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments First UK hardcover edition

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments The Swedish bug-eyed monster edition

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Dara wrote: "It's only $3.99 on Kindle right now: https://www.amazon.com/Slan-van-Vogt-...

Mark, that's a great cover!"

I love it when we read these older titles with a rich publication history.

message 13: by Mark (last edited Aug 24, 2018 08:43PM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments I don't know who owns the copyright these days, but there is a full text version online at

http://www.prosperosisle.org/spip.php...

including MOBI and EPUB format

Edit: Text is from the Simon and Schuster edition, 1951

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Who does own the copyright?

The manual, How to Investigate the Copyright Status of a Work, is confusing.

The copyright catalog entry for Slan has the following:

Type of Work: Text
Registration Number / Date:
RE0000061713 / 1979-12-31
Renewal registration for: A00000059653 / 1951-10-02
Title: Slan. By Alfred E. VanVogt.
Copyright Claimant:
Alfred E. VanVogt (A)
Basis of Claim: New Matter: revision.
Variant title: Slan
Names: VanVogt, Alfred E.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie (3x5books) | 110 comments Ooh. I can borrow the audiobook from Hoopla.

message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8946 comments True story: back in the 1970s (and probably earlier) sci-fi fans called themselves slans. A “slan” is the opposite of “muggle”. We are, as Magneto says, homo superior.

Nerd power.

message 17: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4267 comments ^And, so I read at least, an apartment made up of SF fans was called a "Slan Shack." I was a bit young to experience that.

True story, I was a distance runner at the time and the idea of tireless running like the Slans could do really appealed.

message 18: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Urgent concern: how do you pronounce "Vogt"? Is the g silent?

message 19: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I'm sure Veronica will get it right.

message 20: by Travis (new)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) Julie (RadiantPages) wrote: "Ooh. I can borrow the audiobook from Hoopla."

Excellent! Thanks for the tip.

message 21: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Dara wrote: "I'm sure Veronica will get it right."

LOL

message 22: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments <3<3

message 23: by William (last edited Aug 24, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

William | 434 comments I read this book because I knew it was "important". I didn't think I would enjoy it.

I actually really enjoyed it.

I'm sure this won't be to everyones taste and a lot of the attitudes may be dated, but I'm really glad we will read this.

I look forward to the discussion and I'd love the group to read more of the old SF so us Slans can spot how they influenced later works.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Sean Lookielook (last edited Aug 24, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments

message 25: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3675 comments Mod
Winner of the Retro-Hugo for 1941.

At 78 years old this is the 2nd oldest book we've read. Only Frankenstein was older.

Dara wrote: "Mods can move this to the appropriate folder."

Done :-)

message 26: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2018 05:24AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments The abridged edition of Slan that was published in Fantastic Story Magazine, Summer 1952, is available at archive.org

https://archive.org/details/Fantastic...

Edit: PDF is 7Mb.

message 27: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2018 05:32AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Holy Cow! We live in the golden age of pulps! All four issues of Astounding Science Fiction, September 1940 thru December 1940 are also available to read.

http://www.luminist.org/archives/SF/A...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r1z1qzc6ki...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxsncqpzcdc...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8ic9slwdig...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3co6ezunlj2...

Edit: These PDFs are large, 151Mb, 68Mb, 128Mb, and 124Mb respectively.

So, we can read the original serialized version if desired.

message 28: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2018 06:22AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Edit: There are five versions of Slan.

1) The 1940 four-part serial in Astounding Science Fiction
2) The 1946 hardcover edition from Arkham House
3) The 1951 revised hardcover edition from Simon & Schuster
4) The 1952 abridged edition in Fantastic Story Magazine
5) The 1968 revised paperback edition from Berkley Medallion

The Kindle edition has the 1951 text.

message 29: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6925 comments Mod
Dara wrote: "From Patreon, in September we will be reading Slan by A.E. van Vogt.

Mods can move this to the appropriate folder."

Yeah. I try to give patreon announcements at least a day before I post here. Although whenever I try to do that someone else always seems to make the thread. Lol

message 30: by William (last edited Aug 25, 2018 03:58AM) (new)

William | 434 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Winner of the Retro-Hugo for 1941.

At 78 years old this is the 2nd oldest book we've read. Only Frankenstein was older."

I'm really surprised at how little older/classic SF the group reads. I think we are lucky to be in an age of great F&SF writers and the S&L picks have been really good, but there were also quite a few good books written between 1818 and 1940 - I mean that's 122 years of books including an awful lot of astounding stories (pun intended) ;-)

Mark wrote:"Holy Cow! We live in the golden age of pulps! All four issues of Astounding Science Fiction, September 1940 thru December 1940 are also available to read."

Great! As I've read the story in book form, I think I'll reread it in the original magazine, and maybe enjoy a few contemporary stories along the way.

message 31: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2018 06:23AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments For a deep dive into the five versions of Slan, see this article

http://www.icshi.net/sevagram/summari...

The article has a guide to determine which version you are reading.

message 32: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2018 05:52AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments The 1968 revised revised edition

message 33: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2018 05:53AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments and the 1951 revised edition with a not very exciting cover

message 34: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments This bibliography of Slan indicates which version of the text appears in a particular edition, if known.

http://www.icshi.net/sevagram/biblio/...

message 35: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2018 06:15AM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments From the January 1952 issue of Astounding Science Fiction, order your copy now...

message 37: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Spanish edition

message 38: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments French edition

message 39: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Polish edition

message 40: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments German edition

message 41: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Greek edition

message 42: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2928 comments William wrote: "I'm really surprised at how little older/classic SF the group reads. I think we are lucky to be in an age of great F&SF writers and the S&L picks have been really good, but there were also quite a few good books written between 1818 and 1940
..."

Usually when we have, people complain that they're dated, the tech is silly, the science is wrong or the attitudes are archaic.

message 43: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8946 comments Congrats to Mark for being prominently featured in the upcoming podcast. 😁

message 44: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Trike wrote: "Congrats to Mark for being prominently featured in the upcoming podcast. 😁"

I was behind on my comment quota.

message 45: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Imagine what this thread would have looked like if Tom had chosen Van Vogt's The Voyage of the Space Beagle as the monthly pick...

message 46: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Rumble (bryanrumble) | 3 comments So, here’s a weird story...I just got back from Worldcon 76 in San Jose (where I got to sit in on panels starring both Veronica and Tom) but I also sat beside someone with a very interesting background.

I was in a session one day and it was a full room, but there was one empty seat beside me. A young woman asked if the seat was taken and I said it was all hers. I read her name tag to see if she was an author I might recognize and it read Char. Short for Charlene I assume.

The next day I’m at a session where three panelists are talking about the study of Heinlein, Clarke, and Bradbury as an academic discipline. Right before the session ends one of the audience members with the Heinlein Society says that we all need to be aware that we are in the presence of royalty - AE van Vogt’s granddaughter is in the audience with us. The girl that had been sitting beside me the day before stood up and gave a little wave and sat back down. I now understood where the Char came from.

This is where things get very Baader-Meinhof. The first day of the con I was walking around the dealers room and someone hands me a copy of the soon to be released Astounding book, which is a biography of John W Campbell and centres around his relationship with his top three authors: Heinlein, Hubbard, and Asimov. But it also included stories that involved many of the other authors of this time, including van Vogt. Anyway, this got me thinking I should really read some golden age SF, so I started reading Slan two nights ago. Then I see the email notice that this is next in line for the S&L book club. I’ve had the book for years, but I guess the universe was trying to tell me now was the time it needed to be read.

message 47: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2586 comments Bryan wrote: "So, here’s a weird story...I just got back from Worldcon 76 in San Jose (where I got to sit in on panels starring both Veronica and Tom) but I also sat beside someone with a very interesting backgr..."

Did you choose your avatar before or after beginning to read Slan?

message 48: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Rumble (bryanrumble) | 3 comments Haha, over a decade before. Apparently, I’m a Slan

message 49: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4267 comments Given its age some parts of the book will appear dated. I'm fine with that, but even 40+ years ago on first read, one part seemed really odd. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8946 comments Bryan wrote: "I guess the universe was trying to tell me now was the time it needed to be read. "

Big book energy!

« previous 1