What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's story about a king who was afraid of the dark, pre-modern kingdom has candles everywhere, subjects don't know day/night difference

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gerrit (new)

Gerrit Holl | 3 comments I'm looking for a children's novel, aimed at perhaps 7–10 year olds, that I read at some point between 1993 and 2000. I must have read the story in Dutch. The story may originally have been in Dutch, English, or another language. The book was quite short (probably no more than 30 pages) and had lots of pictures.

The setting is pre-modern. It is set in a kingdom where so many candles burn that it is never dark. The king is afraid in the dark and ordered the candles to be lit. His subjects have never seen the night sky, never seen the stars or even the moon. They are not aware of the difference between day and night. When the king realises it is a bit dark underneath his throne, he orders a candle to be lit there. If I recall correctly, with bad consequences for the throne — it catches fire.

(view spoiler)

I suspect it may be rather obscure story, commissioned by some astronomical society or so for a special event on celebrating the night sky. That's just a wild guess, though.

I probably borrowed it from the local library in Diemen, Netherlands at some point during the 1990s, but I'm not sure about that either. I think there is a drawing on the front with the throne, the king, some subjects, and candles everywhere, including underneath his throne. The book did not look very old when I read it, so it was probably printed in the 1990s.

(I originally posted a version of this question in January 2018 on https://literature.stackexchange.com/... but I am hoping I can tap into other expertise on goodreads)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Gerrit ~~
You can bump your thread every month or so. This brings your thread back to the top of the Unsolved Folder, where new eyes can see it.
Good luck!

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
Gerrit, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 4: by Gerrit (last edited Jun 27, 2022 01:14PM) (new)

Gerrit Holl | 3 comments I have not found the answer. I'm still looking for an answer. How do I bump the thread?

message 5: by Capn (new)

Capn | 1629 comments Gerrit wrote: "I have not found the answer. I'm still looking for an answer. How do I bump the thread?"

Just by posting. Some people just write "Bump" ;)

Have you looked through this list of Children's Lit in Dutch?
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...