Teen Reads discussion

Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Blaauw | 1 comments Hi all,
My name is Mel, and I joined the group hoping to get some tips on books to buy my soon to be 15 year old daughter. She recently read "13 Reasons Why" and has been struggling to find something new to read. I want the reading bug to bite her, before she gets too old or disinterested.

message 2: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (nifflerlover) I’ll help you!!! I love helping people find books!

message 3: by Ayamesalami (last edited Feb 08, 2019 08:40PM) (new)

Ayamesalami Melanie wrote: "Hi all,
My name is Mel, and I joined the group hoping to get some tips on books to buy my soon to be 15 year old daughter. She recently read "13 Reasons Why" and has been struggling to find somethi..."

Although I am very late, I hope to give you suggestions for you or your daughter to read!

If you're in a relaxed mood aka 'I'm not feeling really into an action mood today', you should read Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson.
Since You've Been Gone is about a girl named Emily who is very insecure and awkward and isn't really the most extroverted person out there. She has one friend who brought her out of her shell, Sloane. Sloane was the one who made Emily's life interesting, but Sloane just leaves without leaving any tracks behind of her whereabouts. The only thing she leaves behind, though, is a list filled with thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks for Emily to do- that Emily normally wouldn't do. Emily would never try these, but what if it could bring her best friend back?
This book is really enjoyable and is totally a cozy in bed read. (although you won't be able to finish this in bed without getting a leg cramp, since this book is 449 pages.)

The next book I will be talking about is if you're in a murderous mood. Now this may be more for you since it DOES have murder in it and it originally had a racist title (see the question section for the book for more details) but I think it is VERY good if you're in that type of mood.
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. This is about ten strangers being lured into an island- the man luring them going by the name of U.N Owen. During the time they're there, a recorded message is played and it reveals each of the strangers guilty secrets. By the end of the night, one of the guests is dead. They're haunted by a nursery rhyme counting down one by one as they all get off'd each night. Which among them is the killer- and will any of them survive?
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS. But again, it might not be your daughters taste (or you may not think its suitable for your daughter.). So I suggest it's more of for you book. It's also made in the 90's, so the sentences are harder to read. For example, Agatha Christie usually does (He said :) instead of using emotions to describe the way they talk- but I got used to it, so I think this is a very good read.

(hold up i have to game with my friends so i'll write more later oops LOL)