Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
This topic is about The Oracle's Queen
Tamir Triad > #3 Oracle’s Queen—Finished Reading ***Spoilers***

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 955 comments Mod
This is the spoiler thread for The Oracle's Queen....Let us know what you thought about this book, and the series as a whole!

message 2: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 955 comments Mod
I thought it was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy.

The characters were, for the most part, three-dimensional and not just cardboard cutouts. The “heroes” had flaws, the “villains” had virtues (well, except maybe for Niryn). The prophecy drives the the plot forward, but it is the convictions, risks, and actions of the characters that cause the prophecy to unfold as it does.

While I loved the main story of Tobin/Tamir, I especially enjoyed all the sections with the wizards and witches. And I was glad that Brother and Tamir’s mother finally seemed to have found some measure of peace.

I have added Lynn Flewelling’s Nightrunner series to my list of books to acquire and read, thanks to our group’s choice of the Tamir Triad as one of our series this year.

message 3: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (last edited Oct 24, 2018 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1204 comments Mod
I so enjoyed this series!

A different approach to fantasy, a non-typical type of 'chosen one', some dark magic, great rounded characters, and escalating action. The romantic parts were a bit of an eyeroll, but could have been a lot worse, all in all a great read.

Matthew (thorn969) | 34 comments I'm a bit late to the party, but I just finished this series. As a whole, I loved this series and I think I have to give this book 5 stars, despite major problems. I agree with Maggie that the romance was a bit... hastily assembled? But yes, the wizards and witches were interesting and I though the issues surrounding the loyalty of the companions were some of the best moments of the series.

And then the book just rushed headlong into a pre-planned ending that felt kinda anti-climactic. The dark days of moving from the Queen outnumbered 3 to 1 to her getting married and building her city and living happily ever after happened way too quickly. The tactics of moving the armies seemed a bit like hand-waving to manufacture the final dual and the author seemed a bit unsure about how to write a big battle. And then there was Mahti's departure and return. It felt to me like the author hit her word count and was scrambling to fit the ending in a few chapters. Niryn's death worked as an anti-climax if it were the only anti-climax. It was fun when it happened, but then the rest of the book seemed to also lack dramatic/emotional punch.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Oracle's Queen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lynn Flewelling (other topics)