CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > W/o August 24 to 30, 2018

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3569 comments Mod
Greetings everyone. It is hard to believe we are in the end of August. How will your round out your summer? Did you meet your summer reading goals? What is next?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments Not much activity here today!

I haven't been reading much again this week. Still working on Dear Mrs. Bird. I started listening to A Prayer for Owen Meany yesterday.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 58 comments The only goal I had for my summer reading was to get through Middlemarch by George Eliot and I am happy to say I am almost there. I’ve started to read this fun little book about punctuation called Eats, Shoots & Leaves. I’m not sure what it says about me that I am enjoying this book so much but I have actually been having punctuation discussions with people in my house. They don’t seem as amused as I do.

message 4: by Story (last edited Aug 24, 2018 08:13AM) (new)

Story (storyheart) Anna, I found Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation fun too and it led me to read her novel Cat Out of Hell which was really fun.

My Canlit read for the week was a strange and quite satisfying novella The Tiny Wife by Andrew Kaufman. Anyone read any of his other books? I'm curious.

For my books in translation challenge for another group I read and very much enjoyed this comic-mystery: The Man Who Died.

Happy weekend to all from smoky BC where some of us are wondering if we will ever breathe clean air again.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 744 comments I almost forget it's Friday. Happy Friday!

The only vague summer reading goal I had was to read Where I'm Calling From: New and Selected Stories. I was trying to read a story a day but stalled at 29% finished weeks ago. I don't think Raymond Carver's really for me, but I will try to finish this volume by the end of the year.

This week I finished Snap, which I liked better on audio than on the page. It was a fun thriller, but it is not Booker worthy in my opinion.

I also finished The World As It Is: Inside the Obama White House, which was a good read. I'm not a big reader of political memoirs but I'd heard good things about this one and it didn't disappoint.

I'm currently reading Scarborough for the monthly read. I'm finding it really depressing, to be honest, and so I'm not loving it. Maybe this one was bad timing because I want to like it more than I do.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine Stobbe Anna wrote: "The only goal I had for my summer reading was to get through Middlemarch by George Eliot and I am happy to say I am almost there. I’ve started to read this fun little book about punctuation called ..."

Anna, I love this! Perhaps you missed your calling as a book editor? I haven't read this one, but I probably should. Conversations in our house sometimes revolve around punctuation, as well. My family usually only enjoys such topics if I can relate them to something ridiculously idiotic that one of my clients has written. When it becomes a lecture on how they should improve their writing, they generally tune me out.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2018 10:11AM) (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 202 comments This week I read Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard at the recommendation of a co-worker. She was actually reading one of Linda's newer books, but said this was her best. I am glad it was a quick read because it certainly wasn't one I would recommend to anyone. To each their own. Having said that, I love most of the recommendations that come up in this group.

I am now reading A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout. I am only a quarter of the way in, but I am enjoying it. Having never been out of Canada, I am suddenly feeling the need to get a passport. Although I suspect as I get further in I will remain happy reading National Geographic. This will be my travel book for Bingo.

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra | 682 comments I don't usually make reading goals, other than GR's annual goal. I find I don't stick with plans very well. In general, I've been pleased with the books I've read over this summer.

Over the past few weeks I've finished reading:
Surprise Me - this was a group read for another group. It's a fun, light read. The first half was a bit over the top. I enjoyed the second half better. I listened to this while jogging and the pace & lightness was perfect for that activity.

The Pharmacist of Auschwitz: The Untold Story - an interesting look at a collaborator, big business taking advantage of the camps and the judicial system after the war.

Molloy - a weird but wonderful story. This is the first of a trilogy, which I plan on continuing.

Interred with Their Bones - ugh. There are so many holes, jumps of logic and crazy situations in this book. The heroine is a dumb kind of headstrong....the kind that gets her & others into dangerous situations, that others have to rescue her from. This was an audio book during my commutes. If I'd made a library run while listening this book would have gone back unfinished.

Today, I will (finally) be starting Go Tell It on the Mountain. I think I mentioned this about a month ago. It's been sitting by the couch all this time.

I also started the second of a series, Uneasy Spirits. The first book was so-so but I have a 4-volume ebook set, so thought I'd give the second book a chance. It's light reading.

message 9: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 207 comments Just finished Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler. She is so brilliant. I loved her cast of quirky characters. If you want some light entertainment, this novel would make an easy reading transition into (gulp) September.
My review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt | 115 comments I finished First Snow, Last Light, which I read intermittently while on vacation, but which didn't really hold my attention. It is probably my least favorite Wayne Johnston book ever. It certainly doesn't hold a candle to the first two in the series.

I am now reading Wheat and Woman, a little known memoir of a woman farmer in Saskatchewan in the early 1900's. Her attitudes of British superiority and colonialism, and praise for residential schools are quite jarring to read in the present time, but were probably quite commonplace at the time. As a farmer I am able to understand and relate to the agricultural topics she discusses, but I'm not sure it would be of interest to everyone.

Yes, it is shocking how fast the summer has flown by. My university age children are moving away again, and I fear that my summer hummingbird friends that regularly visit the flowers on my deck have left me already!

message 11: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 158 comments Hi all!
I keep forgetting to pop into this thread weekly!

I have been slowly enjoying Americanah this past week - it’s brilliant. Also started Defending Jacob (on audio) for my Sept IRL book club. No CanLit on the active go right now...

BUT would love to talk Scarborough if anyone read it for the monthly read? Read it this month and it’s an amazing layered book.

elinor - I may need to give Vinegar Girl another go, I started it by gave up after 40 pages (which is unusual for me). You’ve inspired me to try again .

message 12: by Petra (new)

Petra | 682 comments Elinor wrote: "Just finished Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler. She is so brilliant. I loved her cast of quirky characters. If you want some light entertainment, this novel would make an easy reading tra..."

Elinor, I enjoyed this one as well. I received it as part of our current Secret Reader exchange and dove right into it. It was terrific.

message 13: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) I'm like Petra and don't set reading goals :) I spent almost an entire month reading the 900-page tome The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman and savored this enthralling historical novel about Richard III of England. It is now on my favorites shelf!

Here's my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Tomorrow I'll be picking these up from the library:

Sashenka by Simon Sebag Montefiore
Pavilion of Women by Pearl S. Buck
The Iron King by Maurice Druon

message 14: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) | 91 comments @Alison-hikes the bookwoods -- A Prayer for Owen Meany is my all-time favourite book. I love it so very much. I am nervous to hear what you think of it, because it's one of those love/hate books. But I honestly adore it, it made me feel things a book hadn't made me feel before.

@Anna I also loved Eats Shoots and Leaves. It was funny and interesting.

@Petra I read Interred with Their Bones a few years back, under the title The Shakespeare Secret. I thought it was a fun concept poorly executed. But I did finish it.

message 15: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 207 comments I thought it appropriate in light of the fact that B.C. is basically on fire to read this book, The Stars Are Fire. Sadly, this was Anita Shreve's last novel. My review is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
And by the way, my husband and I have prepared a list of what to grab when the fires approach our forested acreage!