The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Graphic novel recommendations, please1

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 150 comments Now that I have a tablet, I am starting to explore the graphic novels that my local library has in their online collection. Looking for recommendations from this fantastic group!

Have enjoyed in the past, and am re-reading now:
Sandman
ElfQuest

Already discovered and enjoying:
Fable
Constantine/Hellblazer
Serenity: Leaves on the Wind

Other titles that I should look for? Thanks!!

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2928 comments If you like Sandman, Lucifer.

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4272 comments If it's the cosmic that you like, Dr. Strange and Thor. Especially the Surtur Saga for Thor by Walt Simonson.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 347 comments I’m always on team The Watchmen.

message 5: by Matty (new)

Matty J | 4 comments In the vein of what you've listed I'd suggest MouseGuard and I think Joe the Barbarian is pretty great. A little more outside of what you've read, I really enjoy Wytches and FBP (Federal Bureau of Physics)

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8956 comments ladymurmur wrote: "Now that I have a tablet, I am starting to explore the graphic novels that my local library has in their online collection. Looking for recommendations from this fantastic group!

Have enjoyed in t..."

You should make your profile public so we can see what you’ve read and not make redundant suggestions.

Anyway...

Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood

Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery
Rat Queens, Vol. 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth

Thor: God of Thunder, Volume 1: The God Butcher

Ministry of Space

I Kill Giants

Saga, Vol. 1
Saga, Vol. 2

message 7: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3675 comments Mod
There are 2 you must read.

As mentioned by Trike.
Saga. It is up to 54 issues or 9 Volumes (Vol 9 comes out next month)

Saga is an epic space opera/fantasy comic book series written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples, published monthly by the American company Image Comics. The series is heavily influenced by Star Wars and is based on ideas Vaughan conceived both as a child and as a parent. It depicts a husband and wife, Alana and Marko, from long-warring extraterrestrial races, fleeing authorities from both sides of a galactic war as they struggle to care for their daughter, Hazel, who is born in the beginning of the series and who occasionally narrates the series as an unseen adult.

and "Locke and Key". This is a completed series of 37 issues (or 6 Volumes). There are also 4 stand-alone issues in the same world.

Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them.... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...!

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 126 comments Paper girls
Saga
Y the Last Man
The Woods
Blankets

message 9: by E.Y.E.-D (new)

E.Y.E.-D (eye-d) | 4 comments The Dreaming
Petrefax
Locke & Key
Saga

message 10: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments I think Saga is a good bet. ;-) And with it on a year long hiatus, you have plenty of time to catch up.

message 11: by Ian (RebelGeek) (new)

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 840 comments In no particular order:
American Gods
The Dark Tower
The Star Wars
Kingdom Come
Civil War II
Preacher
Old Man Logan
Fight Club 2

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2331 comments Giant Days, Vol. 1 is one of my current favorites.

message 14: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 27, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6446 comments These are really fix-up novels, ha.

Saga I-III
The Ultimates I & II (Millar & Hitch)
Batman Hush (Leob & Lee)
Old Man Logan (Millar)
Giant Days is funny.
all of Locke & Key

message 15: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 30, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6446 comments Recommendations from Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples since Saga is on hiatus: https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1... (Why isn't a volume of Saga a Sword and Laser pick?)

message 16: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 150 comments So many great recommendations. Thank you all!

Now to wait. Those that the library has all have wait lists. :-) And I'm submitting purchase requests for the rest.

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2928 comments See if your library support Hoopla which doesn't have borrow limits (they limit how many things each borrower can check out per month, not how many times an item can be checked out)

message 18: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 69 comments I would also strongly recommend Saga.

Another title, I would suggest is Chew. It's hilarious and disturbing at the same time. It's completed its run and my library has all 12 collected volumes.

message 19: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 269 comments Goodreads Blog Post: The Creators of 'Saga' Recommend Books for Their Fans
https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1...