Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
This topic is about Late Eclipses
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > McGuire, Seanan--Late Eclipses informal buddy read starts September 1, 2018

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Late Eclipses by Seanan McGuire.

Synopsis
October "Toby" Daye, changeling knight in the service of Duke Sylvester Torquill, finds the delicate balance of her life shattered when she learns that an old friend is in dire trouble. Lily, Lady of the Tea Gardens, has been struck down by a mysterious, seemingly impossible illness, leaving her fiefdom undefended. Struggling to find a way to save Lily and her subjects, Toby must confront her own past as an enemy she thought was gone forever raises her head once more: Oleander de Merelands, one of the two people responsible for her fourteen-year exile.

Time is growing short and the stakes are getting higher, for the Queen of the Mists has her own agenda. With everything on the line, Toby will have to take the ultimate risk to save herself and the people she loves most—because if she can't find the missing pieces of the puzzle in time, Toby will be forced to make the one choice she never thought she'd have to face again...

Late Eclipse is the fourth installment of the highly praised Toby Daye series.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i was thinking about starting this tonight but i think i want a night off after tower teams so i'll probably start tomorrow lol

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Tonight is a no reading night for me so I can actually sleep after TT :P I'll be ready to start tomorrow!

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments i read chapters 1-12 today and for a book i have no memory of there certainly is a lot going on lol i forgot that (view spoiler) was all in the same book!

toby and tybalt (view spoiler)

may and jazz (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Devann wrote: "i read chapters 1-12 today and for a book i have no memory of there certainly is a lot going on lol i forgot that [spoilers removed] was all in the same book!

toby and tybalt [spoilers removed]

m..."

May - (view spoiler)

Tybalt - (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'm thru Chpt 13 now -

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments May: yeah she's full fae because she's a fetch. i think it's gone into more about where exactly fetches come from in the future sometime but basically she's a full fae and she has like shapeshifted i guess into october's form permanently so she looks like a changeling but isn't. i like how it seems to be kind of like she has all the same memories but maybe they're a bit more faded [seems like she forgets things often] which i guess would work since all the memories were 'implanted'

Tybalt: agree that it's nice that at the beginning he seemed to be kind of 'standard asshole love interest' but that instead of her just getting with him immediately and having him treat her like crap he is actually kind of growing as a person. i like that seanan can kind of write little romantic things into the sides of the story but not have them take over the entire thing.

message 10: by Cathy M. (last edited Sep 02, 2018 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru chpt 21 -

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments yeah it kills me how everyone keeps blaming toby because she didn't save them or whatever and i'm like mmmm how about blaming the actual asshole who did the thing rather than the person who tried and failed to save them???

i'm about to start chapter 21 now and hope to get through chapter 25 by the end of the day

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thank you, EXACTLY!!!!!

At least she' s only called herself a hero once so far hahahaha!!

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments up to the end of chapter 25 now and IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME. well, not everything has been revealed about toby's past but i've been waiting for this since the first book lol

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Cathy M. (last edited Sep 02, 2018 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Devann wrote: "up to the end of chapter 25 now and IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME. well, not everything has been revealed about toby's past but i've been waiting for this since the first book lol

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru Chpt 28 -

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Cathy yeah it's a basically a really big deal because (view spoiler)

i finished up this morning and yeah this book has a lot of big reveals in it so definitely an important book in the series.

also re: the whole connor / toby / tybalt like i don't want to say too much bc i don't want to spoil the future books but god i will be so happy when 'fight over toby' time is over lol i mean it's definitely not as unbearable as love triangles in other series but i'm still like y'all need to chill

Claudia | 435 comments All caught up now. :) Through chapter 21

Tybalt -(view spoiler)

Lily -(view spoiler)

Raysel -(view spoiler)

Oleander & Toby - (view spoiler)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments I'm a bit behind and will be starting today!

Claudia | 435 comments Finished. It seems like this book brought up a lot of revelations for Toby but also brought up a lot more questions.

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @claudia lmao i read book 12 yesterday and this entire series is just 'tons of answers but EVEN MORE QUESTIONS' like seanan you're killing me!

and i'm so excited for quentin's background to finally be revealed although i don't actually remember when that happens so it might be awhile. it's definitely making the reread interesting to me because there are a lot of clues dropped that i totally missed the first time around [noticing that with a lot of things actually]. although i don't think raysel actually knew who he was, i think she was just talking shit lol

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments do you guys want to do the next one on the 15th or wait until the beginning of october? i only ask because i noticed the thread this time around was a little quiet so i thought people might be getting burnt out lol

Claudia | 435 comments I'm in for the 15th but am fine with October as well.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Personally I would like to read them a little faster but I'll stick with you guys as long as you want to continue to read them.

I was a little burned out from TT so took a couple days break from reading & coming on GR. Am having a hard time deciding what I feel like reading next :/

Claudia | 435 comments Part of me does want to read it a bit faster. Just because each book just adds more questions and makes me want to know what's going to happen next. :)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Devann wrote: "@Cathy yeah it's a basically a really big deal because ..."

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Claudia wrote: "Finished. It seems like this book brought up a lot of revelations for Toby but also brought up a lot more questions. ..."

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments ok i will request the thread for the 15th then. i'm totally fine with reading them at that pace but it did seem like people were a bit tired from tower teams so i didn't know if we wanted to push it back or if we were basically recovered lol.

also i literally read book 12 the other day when it came out and it's still just 'here are some answers but also EVEN MORE QUESTIONS' like seanan you are an evil genius WHY lol

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments I was quiet only because I couldn't put this one down!!!
Adding a spoiler in case someone isn't finished yet.
(view spoiler)

Can't wait to read the next one and I'm good to go for the 15th!

Claudia | 435 comments Jessi wrote: "I was quiet only because I couldn't put this one down!!!
Adding a spoiler in case someone isn't finished yet.
[spoilers removed]

Can't wait to read the next one and I'm good to go for the 15th!"

I know what you mean. (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Jessi i'm gonna put this behind a spoiler cut in case but it's not really spoilery if you've finished the book, re: what toby actually is (view spoiler)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Devann wrote: "@Jessi i'm gonna put this behind a spoiler cut in case but it's not really spoilery if you've finished the book, re: what toby actually is [spoilers removed]"

That makes total sense and I'm kind of mad at myself for not getting something that easy.

message 32: by Geri (last edited Sep 10, 2018 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Wasn’t able to post earlier. Things got too crazy with me reading the BOM. But I read book 4 and loved it. I agree with Jess that this was the best book so far. It keeps getting better, so I’ll keep reading. But it does become tiresome that everyone blames everything on Toby. I read through the comments and I didn’t see anything about what the Luidaeg said (I think it was the Luidaeg) about Amandine’s (view spoiler) That struck me as odd. More secrets to be revealed?

I’ll be reading the next book too. I may be late.....as usual!

message 33: by Jessi (last edited Sep 10, 2018 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Geri wrote: "Wasn’t able to post earlier. Things got too crazy with me reading the BOM. But I read book 4 and loved it. I agree with Jess that this was the best book so far. It keeps getting better, so I’ll kee..."

I actually did catch that then promptly forgot about that while I was complaining lol.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Geri wrote: "Wasn’t able to post earlier. Things got too crazy with me reading the BOM. But I read book 4 and loved it. I agree with Jess that this was the best book so far. It keeps getting better, so I’ll kee..."

I totally forgot about that! (view spoiler)

message 35: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Cathy M. wrote: ".I totally forgot about that! (view spoiler)"

I think so!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Late Eclipses (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Seanan McGuire (other topics)