Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2318 comments I had heard of this book over the years but I never felt the push to read it until I listened to the "What Should I Read Next" podcast and a guest chose this book as one of her all-time favorites although she admitted she was torn between this book or "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society". Since I loved Guernsey I decided to ILL this book and I am so glad that I did. It is just charming! Living in New York and working out of her apartment as a writer in 1949, Helene begins a correspondence with a bookseller at 84 Charing Street in London. She has many unusual requests for used books and the dealer, Frank Doel, does his best to fill her orders. Their correspondence soon became more than short requests and replies; a friendship was born between the two and with several of the other bookstore employees as well. I just knew this book would be special when after the very first response from Mr. Doel who began his letter with "Madam;", Helene wittily said that she hoped that word meant something completely different in London than it did in New York. The correspondence went on for 20 years and I dearly wish I could have met both of them.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9353 comments I loved this one too!

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2318 comments I didn't know until today that there was a movie and I have done an ILL for that as well.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6398 comments And Mel Brooks bought the rights to the book so that his wife (Ann Bancroft) could star in it! Talk about a love story....

message 5: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1153 comments This is my all time favorite book and I loved the movie as well.

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I did not know about the movie - I will have to look for it! Funny thing, my husband is familiar with the movie but not the book.

message 7: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments Wonderful book and movie:)

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I've been trying to figure it out - what is ILL?

message 9: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments annapi wrote: "I've been trying to figure it out - what is ILL?"

I'm guessing here, but maybe Inter-library Loan?

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2318 comments Oh, sorry. Yes, it does mean inter library loan.

message 11: by Joni (new)

Joni | 625 comments Great review my friend. And since I know it doesn’t have to be returned the the lending library any time soon, maybe i will snatch it up for a quick read. 😁

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Lovely review. I've not read this book or any book from this author but your review makes me want to read this!

message 13: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2299 comments Still an all-time favorite of mine!

message 14: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2668 comments A delicious book. I read it last year on a PBT recommendation and fell in love with it

message 15: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1153 comments For those who haven't read this, this would make a great read for our September tag (friendship)