What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 60s/70s novel about wealthy American faking death after plane explodes in Paris

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian | 1 comments I'm a librarian trying to help a patron track down a book. His description is below. Can anyone help??
__

For over 40 years I have been to this country, I have been trying to find a book that I've read back in Moscow (former USSR) some time in 1972-75. The book has immensely impressed me. It was a Russian translation of a fictional story written by an American author and published in the USA, supposedly, in 1960s or early 1970s.

An American CEO of some big company travels to Paris for a meeting with his French employees. He lands at a Paris airport to make a connection to some French city up North. As he picks up the ticket, a woman in distress runs into the ticket office and asks for a ticket to the same place. She is told that the last ticket went to the American who was still there. Crying, the woman begs him to sell her the ticket, as she must be in that city this very morning. He figured that he has enough time before the meeting, so he can fly by a later flight. He gives her the ticket, she boards the plane, the plane takes off, and then explodes in the air.

The man realizes that everyone (and he is known by many, including the media) would think that he was on that plane and he is gone. For a number of reasons he decides to start a new life. He destroys all his documents, gives the money he had to a beggar, and starts a new life as a new person. This is how his second life starts. This is amazing, as from the scratch the man becomes a successful millionaire again, due to his brains, diligence and luck. The book describes in detail how it has happened.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Brian ~~
You can bump your thread every month or so. This brings your thread back to the top of the Unsolved Folder, where new eyes can see it. Hopefully someone will know it for your library client.
Good luck!

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Brian, are you still looking for this or did you find it?