Play Book Tag discussion

The Rain Watcher
This topic is about The Rain Watcher
Archive: Other Books > The Rain Watcher - Giveaway; 5 Glorious Stars by Tatiana De Rosenay

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9377 comments Five Glorious Stars for this beautifully written book. Thank you to Goodreads and the publisher for the opportunity to read an early copy, through the giveaway program. The Giveaway concept is meant to help an author create buzz for a new book - for this one that is delightfully easy to do. There is a certain pleasure in being one of the first people to read a book that is going to sweep hearts and shelves. This time the pleasure was mine.

Can I confess? I have read other books by Tatiana de Rosenay, and while I have found her books to beautifully written and forever impactful, I find them haunting - and certain images were so difficult, I actually had wished I hadn't read them. I'm speaking to Sarah's Key specifically. Admittedly, I had a four year old at the time that book emerged and the content matter was simply too close to home. Haunting is the word I would use over and over and over again for this writer - only in the Rain Watcher, it worked so beautifully well. Each of the characters are haunted and enveloped in an unusual way - and the the author has us deeply understand how their pasts, present, and even future combine in this extraordinary moment, where nature holds the power.

We discover in the opening pages (you all know how protective I am of spoilers of any kind - I want each and all of you to have the fullest possible experience) that a small family is gathering in Paris for a reunion. At the same time, waters are rising in Paris (the Seine) to an unusual and dangerous level, threatening to flood and envelop the city. While a beautiful and vibrant city lies in turmoil and ravaging danger, each of these characters are confronting their own internal demons that are rising, enveloping their very being, and find a way to not overcome nature, but to be one with it. It was gorgeously done. I would read this one again, simply for the pleasure of the writing. Its a top ten book for me, and unforgettable over a lifetime. Five Gloriously earned stars. Coming out in October 2018.

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments With that type of review it must go on the TBR list.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9377 comments Smiling! I do think you will all love it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy you have no idea how excited I am to read this book!!! First of all I loved your review, your words took me there. Secondly, I absolutely love this author and love her books. Sarah's Key was most difficult but such a wonderfully written book. I cannot wait to read this one! Its on my list.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9377 comments I’m tempted to send it to you! It would have to happen while we’re in Colorado. Which is not far for you, come to think of it. It’s staying here. What a beautiful experience that was.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "I’m tempted to send it to you! It would have to happen while we’re in Colorado. Which is not far for you, come to think of it. It’s staying here. What a beautiful experience that was."

I will patiently wait for its release.:) I hope you enjoyed Colorado. Such a beautiful place. Living there for a short time is what drew me back to the mountains. Just in a different state.:)

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments I have only read one book by this author, Sarah's Key. Your review will have me looking for and reading others by her.