Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Checkins > Week 34: 8/17 – 8/23

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Hey everyone! It's been a long week. Let’s get right into it today :)

**Admin note: Just a reminder - the group read for September is Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Discussion leader is Theresa.

Looking ahead, in case you need to request copies from your library:
October - Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie Need discussion leader
November – The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin (discussion leader Heather)
December – Circe by Madeline Miller Need discussion leader

On to the reading check-in for this week!

Finished:

A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas – this is considered a bridge book between the first three books of the series and whatever she is working on next. I didn’t love it as much as the second and third books in the series, but it’s just not meant to be a deep dive so that’s ok. It’s the equivalent of a Christmas movella (they are celebrating Winter Solstice) and a brief revisit with some beloved characters.

A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner. I’m not quite sure what to think of this one. It’s a beautiful story, and it has some very emotional moments. It’s a dual timeline covering the Triangle Shirtwaste Factory fire in New York in 1911 and also the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center. I lisened to this on audio, and hearing the two main characters relate their eyewitness accounts of these terrible tragedies was emotionally charged. The 1911 story was the stronger of the two, and I don’t feel like enough time was spend developing the 2011 (10 years after 9/11) story, BUT at the same time I can’t imagine taking that part out of the story. I am using it as my book about death and grief.

Currently reading:

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann. I never know what to expect when I read nonfiction. Even when the book is good, it is still usually a slow read for me just by the nature of being nonfiction. This book, however, has a really strong narrative drive and is moving along well. It’s so sad that this terrible piece of American history has been lost for so many years. All of us who grew up taking American history knew about how unfairly and horribly the Native Americans were treated as this country expanded further into their territories, BUT what was done to the Osage solely for oil money is sickening. So much corruption to say nothing of outright murder. I wish everyone would read this to better understand history and maybe not repeat it so much. This was my original choice for true crime, but I’ve already filled that with something else.

Question of the week:

What time of day do you do most of your reading? Or when is you favorite time of day to read?

On weekdays, I try to listen to an audiobook at work, depending on the task of course. I always read at least a little before bed. On average I’d say I read about 30 minutes before bed.

On weekends, my favorite time of day is early morning. My daughter sleeps in, but I still get up early. I sit in my living room, it’s quiet, and I can sometimes get a couple of hours of reading in! On a lazy weekend I may spend most of the day reading! Bliss!

message 2: by Katy (last edited Aug 23, 2018 05:07AM) (new)

Katy M | 790 comments I finished Catch-22 as my book mentioned in another book. Oh my goodness. That book was just entierely too insane. It actually got better towards the end,but the first quarter of the book was almost unreadable.

I'm now starting Mother of Pearl as my book from a celebrity book club (Oprah). this does not have a particularly high rating on GR. Hoping for the best.

QOTW: I rea din the morning, during the day if I go to the pool, and in the evenings during commercials while I watch TV. And anywhere else I can fit in.

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1291 comments I don't feel I've done much reading this week, all my progress is from audiobooks on my commute. Monday is a bank holiday so hopefully I'll dedicate it to reading.

I finished Death on the Nile for a book that's also a stage play. The audiobook was narrated by David Suchet who plays Poirot in the TV adaptations so it was fun to listen to even if some of his voices were a bit silly.

I also listened to Inferior for a book about feminism. I loved it, very accessible book about bias in sex difference studies and I feel armed to argue with anyone who thinks biology means women can't do the same things as men.

Then I moved onto You Will Know Me for a book about sports. I am not a sports person so wasn't looking forward to this prompt but I can appreciate this book about the discipline and obsession to get to the top (it focuses on gymnastics so not at all team sports type stuff). I like that it's told more from the mother's perspective.

Still reading Time's Convert and Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach. I am getting close to single figures left on my challenge, woohhoo!

39/50 | 78/100

QOTW:
I only listen to audiobooks on my commute (and if I walk the dog by myself at the weekend) which makes up nearly 10 hours a week. Most of my reading is evening, after all the things that need doing are done, I'll try and read an hour before bed. I do like having a whole day free to read at the weekend but that's pretty rare these days. Mostly I just pick up a book when I have nothing else to do and read until a distraction comes along.

message 4: by Erica (last edited Aug 23, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

Erica | 9 comments Hello, I've decided to jump into this challenge a little late! I've worked toward it in previous years, but have never been able to finish due to college and internships. However, I've recently discovered a love for audiobooks that has allowed me to begin reading again! So, these are the books I've finished in August that apply to the challenge:

Eragon: a book made into a movie that you've already seen
Outlander: a book about time travel
And the Mountains Echoed: a book set in a county that fascinates you
The Best of Me: a book about death or grief (I'm not sure if this is exactly ABOUT death or grief, but it is what brings the characters together)
Turtles All the Way Down: a book about mental illness

That brings me to 5/40, and I'm currently working on The Night Circus for a book with a time of day in the title! Starting this late, I don't think I'll be able to finish the list, but I'm excited to use it to help motivate me through my TBR!

QOTW:

I do most of my reading now during the work day. I work in a magazine publishing office and am able to listen to audio books all day. However, my favorite time to read when I still have time is an actual book before bed!

message 5: by Miriam (last edited Aug 23, 2018 05:46AM) (new)

Miriam | 154 comments Hello everyone,

I've read two books this week:
Frau Einstein which is The Other Einstein, and I am using it for novel about a real person. I liked this book, even though I understand some of the criticism. I don't agree with the criticism, really, since I think, even though not factually proven, a background story like this is entirely possible and also provides us with a good view into what life was like for women (wives) in Europe at the beginning of the 20th century.
Also finished Irisches Verhängnis a good new detective series about a female Irish policewoman who is starting her new job in Galway after having spent a few years abroad. The case was interesting and I definetely like the background story to her.

Currently reading :
The Circle, which my AP class will have to deal with and I have to at least have finished by the beginning of next week. I am already quite far in, but somehow it doesn't hook me. It is meh for me (to stay in the wording of the novel) and I have to force myself to continue reading, even though I think the general setup is interesting.
Also listening to Pfefferkuchenhaus which isThe Gingerbread House. another Nordic Noir, well-written so far and also well-spoken.
Will start Die Ratten von Perth for book with an ugly cover once I'm done with The Circle.

QOTW:
During the week I mostly read in the evenings, before bed, sometimes in between during breaks. At the weekend I love to read in the morning in bed, after waking up, before having breakfast, but with a nice cup of tea . And also during the day and in the evenings.
I listen to audiobooks on my commute back (no on my way to work, I listen to the news then), when doing housework, sometimes when taking a walk.

message 6: by Nadine in NY (last edited Aug 23, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6936 comments Mod
This has been a confusing week for me, because my kids' "band camp" schedule has been different, so all the markers I use for "day of the week" have been wrong.

This week I finished five books, none for Popsugar, so I remain 49/50.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - this was part of my personal challenge (just a list of books that I pledged to myself to read this year). I think maybe I had heard too much about this book, because it didn't WOW me.

We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo - another book in my personal challenge, this one was great! If you need a "coming of age" book or a book about the immigrant experience, this would be an excellent choice.

There There by Tommy Orange - one of the best books I've read this year! It was so powerful, and really felt different from my usual read. If you want to read more Native American authors, or a book about identity, or if you're just looking for a great book, read this!

Negroland by Margo Jefferson - another "personal challenge" book. I expected this to be a memoir, but it's more like a series of essays making up a social history, and the author's writing style didn't work for me. As an aside, my daughter had never heard the word "Negro" used before, and she got very upset with me when she saw it, because she thought it was akin to what we in the USA call "the N word" - so I guess that tells you how old-fashioned the term "Negro" is.

Rules for Werewolves by Kirk Lynn - another "personal challenge" book, this book was very very different. It's sort of a coming of age story, and sort of about a cult and identity, and sort of psychological (but not exactly a thriller). The author is a playwright, and this is a novel written like a play, about 90% of it is dialogue. Unattributed dialogue. And that works better than you'd expect! If you need an "unusual format" book, or an experimental novel, this one would do it.

QOTW

LOL All the Hours of the Day!!

But in reality, I suppose I do most of my reading at lunchtime and at bedtime, because that's when I have time to myself. In a perfect world, I would say afternoons are my favorite time to read. But I never seem to have time for that these days :-(.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments Another crazy week. As of 5pm I have been informed that I have to pick up another y12 subject as well as the 3 I already have plus the 4 year 11 ones. Oh and just in case I'm not broken yet they want me to teach through the holidays. No I won't be paid for it. On the plus side I can add the extra days to the year and a bit of leave already saved because I haven't had time to use it. They won't like it if I resign and they have to pay me for a year plus to do nothing.......

Reading not going so well due to work requirements. Still doing this because I like to see what everyone normal (not teaching all the hours of the day)does with their time.

Completed:
A book about a villain or antihero Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1) by Maureen Johnson https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... Which was a perfectly pleasant read. Not amazing but not horrid. The worst part was that to know what happened to anyone I will have to read the next book in the series. Think I will have to try to make as much of next year's challenge finishing series as possible.

Currently reading: Anne Rice, The Tale Of The Body Thief. Year finished school. Not going very fast and suspect it will take over a week to finish.

QOTW:
I read almost constantly all day.......kids assignments, course documents, assignment task sheets I need to check before handing out etc but the fun part is confined to about 30mins each evening before bed, a couple of hours at the weekend and holidays if I get them.

message 8: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 745 comments Happy Thursday! School starts this week in our area, so that means fewer kids hanging out during the day... though about 3 PM will come our after-school rush. (ALL HANDS BRACE FOR IMPACT!)

Finished this week:

The Future is Blue -- I really am reading a lot of short story collections lately... A weird yet varied and fascinating anthology with a LOT of great stories (and a couple duds, but you get that with any collection).

The Secret Life of Bees -- Read for the library's book club. VERY good coming-of-age story set in the Deep South during the racial strife of the '60s.

Swallows & Robins - The Guests In My Garden -- A memoir about an Englishwoman in France and the various characters who stay in her holiday homes over the course of four years. Charming and fun.

Harriet the Invincible -- Yeah, it's a kid's chapter book, but dangit, this one was fun. I love Ursula Vernon's kid books, and she not only gives an entertaining story but a kick-butt heroine who takes charge of her own destiny.

DNF:

Piper Day's Ultimate Guide to Avoiding George Clooney -- Maybe "chick lit" just isn't for me...

Currently Reading:

Primary Inversion
Stars of Charon
And yup, still hacking away at Lovecraft...

QOTW:

I have three main times of day I usually read -- during breakfast, on my lunch break at work (yes, I'm one of those terrible people who reads while I eat), and at night before going to bed. I've also been known to pull out a book at restaurants when I get bored of the conversation... hey, it's no less rude than playing on your phone in public, right?

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments Good morning! I hit 100 books on the year this week so I'm feeling insanely proud of myself. *pats back* I'm at 35/50 for the challenge.

Finished: First Impressions: A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen for a past Goodreads Choice winner. I was enjoying this until the twists at the end which made me roll my eyes in disappointment. I didn't think they were all that surprising or earned.

DNF: A Scandalous Deal which I mentioned last week I was side-eyeing as I went through. At the halfway point, the hero was so controlling and dismissive of the heroine's wants I just stopped. Not worth it.

Currently reading: What Happens in London for the Ripped Bodice summer bingo challenge. It's been a spell since I read Julia Quinn and I still love her.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because hello, that Netflix movie! I wanted to read the book first, if possible, especially after a glowing review from a coworker with similar taste. Already halfway through and started it yesterday!

QOTW: My most consistent reading time is my commute -- 25 minutes on the metro to and from work each day. A close second is the gym because I read on the elliptical (if I get there and find I've forgotten a book, I read on my Kindle app on my phone... it's a must). On weekends I like to wake up, make coffee and read in bed if I don't need to be anywhere!

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 542 comments Finished - The Carrie Diaries. This is for my decade I was born in (80's). It was ok - I prefer the tv show.

Finished Lady Renegades. I started this series a while ago. I'm glad I finished it. This was a quick read for me. Using for a favorite past popsugar prompt.

Finished Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. I did not like this. I prefer the movie. Thank goodness this was short. Using for multiple authors.

So glad everything I read last week was for the challenge! I'm up to 31 Regular, 6 Advanced, and 11 Non Challenge reads.

Right now I think I'm in a slump. Because nothing I pick up is appealing to me. Might be time for a light summer contemporary.

message 11: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (r_y_feig) | 9 comments Hello all!
Books I Finished:
The Poisoned City: Flint's Water and the American Urban Tragedy by Anna Clark (not for challenge, but it works well for a problem facing society today). This book was very eye-opening, as it highlights the water problem in Flint, Michigan. I enjoyed it because it went deeper than just today's problem, but talked about the history of the city and policies put in place which exacerbated the water problem. I highly recommend this book.

I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death by Maggie O'Farrell (not for challenge). I thought this book was ok, but didn't blow me away (I know I'm in the minority). The first chapter was amazing and the memoir started off with a bang. As a quick summary, this book is about the author's seventeen brushes with death. Some stories dragged, and I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was organized in chronological order. Again, I know lots of people enjoyed this book, so I wouldn't dissuade anyone from reading it.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (for a book made into a movie you've already seen). The movie was decent. I've recently made peace with the fact that I will almost always prefer the book over the movie adaptation, and that the movie has to differ in some plot aspects due to the fact that it's a movie and must keep viewer's attention as well as challenges in executing all plot aspects of a book. The book I enjoyed, and it's easy to understand why it got rave reviews.

The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson (not for challenge though it would work for book with multiple authors). I mainly read this one to balance out the heavier/meatier books I've read recently. This wasn't a page turner, but it was a light read that I needed, and on par with most of James Patterson's other books.

The Guise of Another by Allen Eskens (not for challenge). This is my third Eskens book, and I've loved them all. Now this guy knows how to write a page turner. I think Eskens is great at character development and thoroughly engrossing reads. I think there's two more books he's published that I haven't read, but are high up on my TBR list.

QOTW: During the week, I don't have a particular time I enjoy reading, as I try to read whenever I can, though I am partial to reading right when I come home from work as a way to decompress. On the weekends I prefer to spend some time reading right after breakfast before I begin chores/errands/outdoor excursions.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments I welcomed a new foster placement into my home this week, so no finishes for me. I'm currently reading:

A Tale for the Time Being - This is from Subway book review and will fill my stranger reading in public prompt. With only 2 tasks left to finish challenge I've given up on finding a stranger reading something interesting in public myself

I'm also reading the Girl in the Tower on audio

QOTW: most consistently I read on my lunch break and bus commute home. When we have kids in our home, audiobooks are great through headphones while sitting with kiddos until they fall asleep.

message 13: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 462 comments I was hoping to have read something for time travel but in spite of being billed as a ghost-rom/com-time travel-mystery Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams has had zero time travel (I'm 50 pages from the end so I'm counting this as 'done' but even if there IS time travel in this, it's not enough for me to count it personally).

I also finished デビルズライン 8 by Ryo Hanada and Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs which wins the crown (so far) of being the most irritating book all year (The Urban Fantasy part of it was great, the 'romantic' subplot was so unhealthy and creepy I can't see me even getting the rest of series)

QOTW I read mostly at night as I work all day. I often read in the tub to relax and always read before I go to sleep.

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments Sara wrote: "A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner. I’m not quite sure what to think of this one. It’s a beautiful story, and it has some very emotional moments. It’s a dual timeline covering the Triangle Shirtwaste Factory fire in New York in 1911 and also the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center."

The Triangle Shirtwaste Factory fire was covered in a nonfiction book I read this year (City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York). I had never heard about it before, and it was absolutely devastating to read about. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for the people trapped in that building. So sad.

And now for my weekly update...

Finished
The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History Speaking of sad things, this book was super depressing. But it was well-written and researched, and if you're interested in learning about how humans have screwed our planet, this is a good read.

The One-in-a-Million Boy I really loved this book. Going into it I thought it was the story of an elderly woman's friendship with a young boy, and it kind of is, but you find out at the very beginning that the boy has died, and though you do get to meet him, the book is more about the other people in the boy's life and how they are all affected by his life and his death. If you enjoyed A Man Called Ove or The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry I think you'll really like this one.

Currently Reading
The Count of Monte Cristo As a reward for finishing both the PopSugar and my Goodreads challenges, I decided to read a really long book since I'm no longer trying to get to a certain number of books read. This is my first time reading this and I'm really liking it. I might go for some other really long books after this one. Right now I'm eyeing Kristin Lavransdatter and perhaps a Dicken's doorstop that I haven't read yet.

The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row

So Close to Being the Sh*t, Y’all Don’t Even Know I'm listening to the audiobook, and it's read by Retta, and it's so fun.

QOTW
I have a new favorite time to read! Right after dinner, I hand the kids over to my husband, I go in my room, shut the door, open the curtains and sit in my rocking chair (that I repurposed as a reading chair after my kids were too old to be rocked to sleep). Then I open a book and read as the sun goes down. It's as wonderful and pleasant as it sounds.

message 15: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 420 comments Bonjour,

I don't know about you, but here we are having a perfect going-back-to-school temperature. College where I work started yesterday and smaller kids (like my sons) will start next week.

I finished When Breath Becomes Air for the grief prompt. I liked it a lot and I even cried. I wasn't interested in his going back to christianism, but I felt like it was part of his journey and since he was open about everything.

I am now reading:

Firewall. Not finished since I listen to it only when I go to work and there was not so much traffic last week.

Norwegian Wood I am only at the beginning so far and I can't say that I feel anything toward this book so far. Feels like a future DNF.

QOTW:
During the week I mostly read in my bed before going to sleep and during the week-end, when my kids are doing something for a long time, I love to read outside in my swing (not sure if it's the good translation).

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1879 comments Yay, check-in! It has been a very busy week ... I celebrated my birthday and still managed to finish 4 books! If you are in NYC anytime up to October, find time to check out that portion of the Met's Heavenly Bodies costume exhibit that is at the Cloisters as it is a spectacular and unique setting.

I am the September discussion leader for Hamilton: The Revolution and looking forward to it! As I mentioned before, reading the physical book in print or digital, rather than audio, makes a huge difference. Also good to listen to the soundtrack while reading.

I am 48/50 for challenge! Just 2 more to go...hopefilly by next check-in I will be done! So what did I read?

Finished:
The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century - my true crime. First drawn in by the cover, then the title, I just spent 2 nights staying up way too late reading this page turner. One about fly tying of all things! Johnson tells the fascinating tale of a young flautest, obsessed with "authentic" fly tying using exotic and protected feathers. That's right. It is all about exotic feathers. Edwin Rist pulled off the biggest natural science museum heist in history. It is an extraordinary tale, exciting read, and perfect if like me you are absolutely not interested in reading about some serial killer or bloody murder. I dislike true crime, but more books like this would convert me! Would also fit a heist, of course. [If you are uncomfortable with graphic descriptions of how scientists capture, kill, and preserve specimens, you will want to skim the first 50 pages or so].

The 39 Steps - my book that was basis for a play or musical. Actually it was seeing a few here commenting on it that made me pick it up. I found it wonderfully readable.

Gone Girl - past Good Reads Choice Award (2012). Underwhelmed. Totally do not get the hoopla. It was well-written, easy to read, and certainly spawned a whole slew of unreliable narrator suspense, but I knew all the twists and turns practically from the table of contents, so the element of surprise and shock failed for me.

The Bride Behind the Curtain - my palate cleanser after Gone Girl, and really liked this, gave it 4 stars. First in a Regency historical romance trilogy featuring 3 wallflowers who band together to change society's perception of them.

DNF - New York Exposed: The Gilded Age Police Scandal That Launched the Progressive Era - it is rare for me to abandon a book convinced I will never read it, (I am likely to put aside for awhile then read when mood right), but this one falls into that category. Author makes NY's Gilded Age, the Tenderloin District, and police corruption dry as dust. I have read insurance policies and legal documents that are more interesting. Was going to be my true crime.

Currently reading: Grand Cru Heist for my heist.

QOTW: I would say my favorite time to read is late at night in bed. But I pretty much enjoy reading any time and any where.

message 17: by SadieReadsAgain (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments I thought I wasn't going to have a book to check in this week, as I struggled with my read this week. But I got through it today, taking me to 38/50 (34/40 4/10).

So the book I struggled with was Catch-22. Jeez...I hated this book for the first 50 pages, and didn't like it for at least the next 100. But I never quit a book. I think getting out of your comfort zone with books is really important, and this one is a case in point for persevering. I'm not going to say I did a complete turn around on it, but I'm glad I made it through to the end. I've read a good many books set in WW2, but I usually read from the civilian point of view because I'm not into war stories. But this is probably the most honest war story you could come across. Because war is shit. It's chaotic, scary, unjust and completely nonsensical, and this book is all of those things laid bare. It's not a comfortable read. It's very difficult to follow the double talk and flashbacks, or to keep hold of the thread in the complete nonsense that it frequently descends into. But it's an important read for exactly those reasons. War isn't all heroics and victory. It's corruption, it's lies, it's the lives of the many being cheap in the eyes of the powerful. It's backstabbing and bravado and bullshit chauvinism. And right there in the middle it is scared young men caught in a fight which isn't even theirs. I wont be looking to add more books like this to my reading pile any time soon, but I can see why it has spoken to so many and lasted the test of time.

What time of day do you do most of your reading? Or when is you favorite time of day to read?

My reading is done in very distinct chunks. So much so that when I start a book I work out how many reading sessions I'll get in that week and divide the page count by that to see how many pages I need to aim for each sitting to get through a book a week. I know...just one of the many weird rituals I have with reading and books! So I read on my commute to/from the office, or if I'm working at home I try to take a mid-morning break to read. And then I have my evening session which is more often split in two - putting the baby to bed, and then reading before I go to sleep. At the weekends I read a little if I put the baby down for a nap too. If I've got an audio book on the go, I use my walking time (either the school run or between the train station and office).

message 18: by SadieReadsAgain (last edited Aug 23, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Katy wrote: "I finished Catch-22 as my book mentioned in another book. Oh my goodness. That book was just entierely too insane. It actually got better towards the end,but the first quarter of the ..."

Haha, same book this week, and entirely the same reaction!!

Kenya wrote: "I've also been known to pull out a book at restaurants when I get bored of the conversation... hey, it's no less rude than playing on your phone in public, right?"

Isn't it strange how playing on a phone is seen as normal, but in a lot of the same situations you get side-eye for whipping out a book instead?

message 19: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 354 comments This week I finished 1 for the challenge so I am currently at 47/52.

I am working on 3 for the challenge at the moment:
Beowulf should have finished this by next week.

Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype still working on this but I need to be in a special mood to read this. It is taking me forever. It's not bad but I would like to actually have time to consider the content. Unlike some of the romance novels I am reading at the moment due to the romance reading challenge I am doing. Don't need to be to involved in the text in the same way.

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch Still working on this. Don't know what it is about this book but it is now the 4 time I had to return it on overdrive. I just can't get in to the story. I usually like Neil Gaiman and his humor but this was is causing me some trouble.

This week I finished
The Sea of Monsters Love Rick RIordan
One Pink Rose cute
One White Rose cute
One Red Rose cute
The Substitute It was a drag getting through. A lot of headshaking and sighing about how ridiculous it was.

And the last ride. Don't know what happened but suddenly it wouldn't add books. Probably my internet as I am in the summerhouse and connection is wobbly at its best.

But wouldn't miss check-in :-)

QOTW:
Well I like to read anytime during the day but since I now work evenings I usually stay in bed in the morning and get some reading in and during my dinnerbreak at work. When I get home at 23:00 (11PM ;-) hence previous week talk ) I usually read as I can't fall asleep right away.
I love lying in my bed with a cup of tea in the mornings and read.
Since I don't have any children I can easily use a whole day reading and I love during it with a cup of hot chocolate and my duve in the winter... Love it.

message 20: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 793 comments Hi everyone!

Lovely day today in Michigan, not to hot, not to cold and lots of sun.

This week I finished:

Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake - True crime. I waited FOREVER for this, I finally had to order the physical copy through the inter-library loan because it was taking so long digitally. It was a nice quick read, nothing to gory or gross which I wanted to avoid for a true crime. The movie and musical made Frank much more of a likeable character, in his account I got the impression that he was just really smarmy, a womanizer, and generally all together too pleased with his own cleverness.

This was my last Popsugar prompt which means I FINISHED! Woo!!

I also finished: Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture which is my book of essays for Read Harder. This is a hard one to rate because while the essays were well written, they were all about sexual assault, trauma, rape, and other experiences that people go through that get brushed off as being "not that bad". A lot of my ratings usually come from how much I enjoy it, how easily I get through it, stuff like that. But I just really dreaded reading it and kept waffling between reading a story at a time and then read something else, and just getting through it. It's still a really important book to read, so I'm glad I made it through.

This also puts me finished with Read Harder, double woo!

Circle of Fire - ATY's elemental fire prompt. It was a nice quick read. Nothing amazing, just a paranormal romance. Still was a nice break.

Currently reading:

The Mysteries of Udolpho - I'm kinda close to DNFing this, I'm just NOT getting absorbed into the story. It's for ATY's gothic novel prompt. I read a lot of the usual suspects for gothic, so picked this one. But it's very long, and it's taken me a whole week to get through maybe 3 chapters.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - current audio book, but haven't had much time to listen yet. It's supposed to be my book that intimidates/scares me because it's supposed to be creepy. but it also came up as a gothic novel, so I might switch this to that prompt, and figure out a different scary/intimidating book. Maybe even count Not That Bad as it? We'll see.

Kushiel's Avatar - ATY's book you have high expectations for. I've really enjoyed the series so far, so I expect the last book to be very good.

QOTW:

I read all day, whenever I can snag a minute. I get up and do steps around the house to stretch my legs, and I'll read a few pages while I do so. But I do enjoy grabbing 20 min or so of reading first thing, and right before bed. If I have an audio book going, I'll sometimes listen if i'm doing something mindless at work, or I'll listen while cross stitching or painting.

message 21: by oshizu (last edited Aug 23, 2018 10:17AM) (new)

oshizu | 37 comments This year is my first attempt at a reading challenge.
A friend mentioned she was doing one and inspired me to do one, too.
I started it late (May), but I'm very happy to say that I caught up with my reading this week! So, yay, those annoying "x books behind" messages from Goodreads are gone (for now).
Also, I'm very self-conscious about describing books still as I only joined Goodreads in June. Here goes...

This past week, I read:
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann.
I read this book on the basis of Sara's rec in the True Crime suggestions thread. :D
This is a genre I'd never read before, but Grann transformed the heart-breaking story of the systematic, calculated devastation of an ethnic group into a riveting read.

The Branding of Wendell Dawes, a Chef's Comic Tale by Nao Hauser.
I won this Kindle book as a giveaway (it's still on) and read it for the "book with an ugly cover" prompt.
For my challenge, I'm trying to alternate more serious, longer reads with lighter, shorter reads. I'd been planning to read the memoir of a celebrity chef for this prompt, but decided instead to read this satire on the "memoirs by celebrity chefs" genre. It was a quick, fun, and charming read.

Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie.
I only regret that I couldn't wait until the Group Read in October!
It's been years and years since I last read anything by Agatha Christie. To avoid spoilers, I'll only say that this book started out too slowly for me (I almost switched to another book).

Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Renni Eddo-Lodge.
This book kept popping up in my Goodreads Recs so I read it for advanced prompt #9, a book about a problem facing society.
It is not only a discussion of race relations by an extremely articulate journalist, but also one person's personal research and discovery into Britain's untold black history.

Currently reading:
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
I planned to read this book years ago. It literally sat on my nightstand for a year in 2010, but I just never picked it up. Feels good to finally start reading it.
34/52 (32/42 and 2/10)

QOTW:
I usually read twice a day, in the morning after my head clears and then again before going to bed.

Just want to thank this group for setting up all those prompt-filling suggestion threads. They've been so helpful in helping to diversify my reading!

message 22: by Eujean2 (last edited Aug 23, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Eujean2 | 249 comments Happy Thursday.

FINISHED
Heroine's Journey - #34: published in 2018 – I love Sarah Kuhn & I love this series. (I am so excited that there will be more!) Each book of this trilogy has been written from a different perspective. I’m most like the protagonist from the first book (without the super powers), so it’s been interesting to get into other people’s heads as well. Plus, the books are just plain fun. This time they get to fight porcelain unicorn heads. (I figure it’s not a spoiler because that is the image on the front of the book.) Hooray for female, Asian American superheroes protecting San Francisco.

First Flight – #23: time travel - A very sweet, very short story about 100-year-old woman and time travel. I didn’t get as much reading done over the summer as I had hoped, and I’ve been getting a little nervous about not being able to finish the challenge. (I know, it’s only August. Welcome to my brain finding ways to panic.) When I stumbled across this short story by an author I love (Mary Robinette Kowal) I figured it was a great way to fill a category. I still plan to read my chosen novel, but in case I run out of time, I can still complete the challenge.

CURRENTLY READING
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America – Almost done. I may finish today.
Paradise – Just a few chapters in. I’m assuming the pieces will fit together as I get further along in the book. For now, I am just enjoying Toni Morrison’s voice.

36/42 for the regular challenge. 25/42 for the graphic novel version.

QotW
I try to sneak in reading whenever I can. I’ve started to do more walking and I have found that to be a great time for an audiobook. (Listening to a book is incentive to exercise.) If there aren’t other people in the faculty lounge, I can read at lunch, and I usually read on the bus. My favorite regular time to read is before bed when I am showered, in my pajamas, and curled up with the cats. My favorite special treat reading time is going to a café and sipping a chai. Many coffee shops are transitioning to computer work spaces, so I always have my eyes open for spots with the old-school comfy chairs.

message 23: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Hi everyone! I've been enjoying a lot of downtime lately, which I am grateful for since I will be traveling most of September.

I checked off 2 more prompts for Popsugar this week, so I’m now at 45/52 for the challenge.

Books I finished:
For Popsugar
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs for a book about time travel (23). I like this and didn't realize it was the start of a series. I might continue at some point, but aside from the last chapter in this one (which is basically the start of the next book) it ended nicely.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer for a book recommended by someone else taking the Popsugar challenge (A10). I've owned this for quite a while but was reluctant to read it because it was so hyped. I'm glad I finally read it because I liked it! A creative way to adapt the Cinderella story. I'll continue with the series.

For other challenges
The Deep Dark Descending by Allen Eskins. I liked this but not as well as the other book I've read by Eskins (The Life We Bury). I didn't realize this was part of a series, but the detective from The Life We Bury is the main character in this one.

The Daughter by Lucy Dawson. Another okay read, but not earth shattering. I didn't really like any of the characters, so it was hard to get into.

The Unremembered Girl by Eliza Maxwell. I have a feeling this will become the unremembered book. It was okay, but I think it could have been better.

Night Shift by Charlaine Harris. This was the final book in the Midnight, TX trilogy. Maybe Harris will add to the series later because there are a lot of stories that can still be told about the town's residents. The big scene in the book takes place on Halloween, so if I don't come up with a better choice in the next few weeks I might go ahead and use this for the Halloween prompt. We'll see.

I am currently reading:
Calypso by David Sedaris
Pretty Girls Dancing by Kylie Brant

QOTW: On most days, I read before bed, so I’d say that is when I get the most reading done. But if I’m traveling for work, I’ll get a lot read throughout the day either via audio while driving to a meeting or while on a plane. My favorite time to read, though, is on a Saturday or Sunday morning in bed with my coffee.

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Tara wrote: "The Triangle Shirtwaste Factory fire was covered in a nonfiction book I read this year (City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York). I had never heard about it before, and it was absolutely devastating to read about. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for the people trapped in that building. So sad."

I hadn't heard of it before either. I looked it up and found that the owners were later charged with manslaughter because they had locked the doors to the factory (to keep their employees from sneaking out for breaks). Had the doors been left unlocked many more people would have escaped. It also led to a lot of needed improvements in labor laws.

Even though the circumstances were very different (accidental fire vs. terrorist attack), it was eerie to see similarities like people jumping to their death rather than facing a slower death at the hands of a fire.

message 25: by Teri (last edited Aug 23, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Sara wrote: "October - Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie Need discussion leader"

Sara, I just finished reading Hallowe'en Party last night. I've never been a discussion leader before, but I'm willing to give it a shot for October.

I wasn't sure where I should post this, so hopefully this will work.

message 26: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 793 comments Rasputina has a song about the Triangle Shirtwaste factory fire here

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 203 comments Another week of cozy mysteries for me. I am getting close on my cozy mystery challenge, so will probably branch out more this week. I am really enjoying the Honeychurch Hall series. The other cozies I have read are just decent.

I also read The Graveyard Book for the first time. I really enjoyed it and will likely read more Gaiman in the future.

QOTW: I love to read at any time of the day.

Happy Reading!

message 28: by Julie (new)

Julie | 172 comments Karen wrote: "I welcomed a new foster placement into my home this week, so no finishes for me."

That's great! Definitely a worthy reason for not having any finishes. We're a licensed foster family too (just finished getting licensed not that long ago) but haven't gotten our first placement yet. Hope everything goes well!

message 29: by Christy (last edited Aug 23, 2018 12:00PM) (new)

Christy | 351 comments I had a really enjoyable reading week last week. I finished Paladin of Souls on audiobook and The Poisonwood Bible in physical book, both of which I loved. I then tried to move on to the library/bookstore prompt with the audiobook of Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore, but I just could not with the narrator. If anyone but the main character was speaking, the narrator would differentiate the spoken conversation by reading...kind of...haltingly for...the...entire...conversation. I noped the heck out of that audiobook, and just looked up the narrator for Paladin of Souls, because she's great. That has led me to The Book of Spies, which is a fun thriller and not too deep, and works for both the library/bookstore and my generous interpretation of a woman with a male pseudonym. (Gayle Lynds used to write for the Nick Carter series, with Nick Carter as the house pseudonym. Close enough.)
Next up: The Hike (allegory I think?) I'm reading this with my brother for our book club, and apparently my cousin and boyfriend are also interested, so for this book Brother/Sister Book Club will become Brother/Sister/Cousin/Boyfriend Book Club! Very exciting! Possibly we need a shorter name.
QOTW: I've always read during my commute and lunch, and then whenever fits in aside from that, and it's always been almost entirely printed books. Since I've had severe eye issues, though, I've had to lie down for 15 minutes at a time with my eyes covered for my treatments, at a minimum right after getting up and right before bed, and preferably more times throughout the day. It's inconvenient, but it means that every day I have at least half an hour of audiobook guaranteed, and I've listened to some truly fascinating works. Trying to see the bright side. :-)

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane  Lupton | 136 comments Sara wrote: "Hey everyone! It's been a long week. Let’s get right into it today :)

**Admin note: Just a reminder - the group read for September is Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda..."

I also read A Fall of Marigolds for the death or grief prompt. I gave it 4 stars. I really enjoyed the emotional aspect of it. I kept rooting for the girls to overcome and move on and find love again.

message 31: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 303 comments Hello from Columbus! We’re starting to get the first hints of autumn weather, though I’m sure the rest of the week is going to be hot and muggy because I typed that out. We’ve been getting ready for preschool start, so it’s just been me and the little one since school started for middle school already.

Salty Um. This book was for the Goodreads challenge, they had a prompt for a book that involves nudity or a nudist colony. Is that even an actual genre? It’s kind of hard to find a book that fit this prompt that wasn’t gross. Except, this book is pretty gross. It was kind of funny, I guess but so over the top with the voyeurism and sexual language. Basically it’s about an old rockstar (who mentions that he’s a famous, rich rockstar every chance he gets) whose supermodel wife gets kidnapped while while they’re on vacation in Thailand. Antics ensue, people get naked, it’s a weird book. Thankfully it was tolerable because I rage quit my first book for this prompt (Naked Lunch)

From Twinkle, with Love This is for the author of color prompt for the Goodreads challenge. I had already read When Dimple Met Rishi last year and wanted something a bit light and fun. Her books are most definitely too young for me to really be into, but I love that she’s making books for Indian-American teens about Indian-american teens. They are pretty cute and I probably would have been into them if they were around when I was in high school.

True Grit I picked this for the western prompt since it seems to always be listed as a classic. I loooove the movie, the Coen brothers one, I don’t do John Wayne 😬. So I was pleased that the book is pretty short, straight forward, and easy to fly through. I’m glad there’s a western that isn’t just menly men shooting guns and that this focuses on a 14 year old girl’s plan to get justice for her father’s murder. I feel like this is a great intro to westerns for people who aren’t really interested in westerns.

My Brilliant Friend my pick for the goodreads’ translated into English prompt. It’s about the childhood and friendship/rivalry between two young girls in 50’s (I think??? Something like this) Naples. I reeaallly loved this book. I immediately grabbed the next book in the series and can’t wait to start it. I don’t think I can pinpoint what exactly I loved about it, but I really enjoyed the story and imagery. I’m excited to see where life takes these characters.

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch I loosely applied this to the goodreads “set in the future” prompt. I just wasn’t in the mood for anything sci-fi or dystopian. So I guess since it’s about the apocalypse and that hasn’t happened yet, it kind of counts? This might be the first Gaiman book I am not enthusiasticly in love with. I found it a bit hard to really pay attention too but I’ll probably revisit it when I go to watch the show. I love the idea, a demon and an angel joining forces to stop the apocalypse. And a lot of it was really amusing so I’m sure if I give it more attention it’ll grow on me. But for now I’m on to my next read!

QOTW: I’m a night reader but I’m always listening to audiobooks in the car, and I’m in the car a good chunk of my day.

message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane  Lupton | 136 comments So I see a few of you have tackled, and not liked, Catch-22. Morgan Freeman sold me on this one during the Great American Read PBS show. I was really looking forward to it, but not so much anymore. I will at some point read it.

Since my last check in I have finished Don't You Forget About Me for song lyric and I am hoping to finish The Red Book today or tomorrow for favorite color.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 897 comments Hello everyone. The much needed rain is finally here, I reckon the plants outside are super happy.

This week I finished nothing. Again :( My excuse is I am reading two super long books.

Currently reading The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. I am enjoying the actual story, but every so often there's a whole chapter on Gothic architecture or the layout of 15th century Paris which spoils the flow of the story for me. I've read quite a few classics so I'm used to heavy descriptions but Victor Hugo really overdoes it.

Also reading Dune. I am only a few chapters in. It's a huge hefty book and the font is super tiny so I think I'll be at this one for a while.

QOTW: I mainly read on the commute to and from work. I'll try and read in the evenings too, especially if I have a book too heavy to carry around in my bag but my time is pretty limited then so they take me quite a while to get through.

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie | 172 comments Hi everyone!

I've been busy digitally cataloging ephemera for a volunteer/internship project (old postcards from the early 1900's, mostly), so my available reading time has dwindled (it's a fun project though). However, I managed two finishes this week, so I'm at 47/50.

I finished Sleeping Beauties for a book with two authors. I loved this. I thought it was a great dystopian novel, and as a long time Stephen King fan, the writing didn't disappoint.

I also finally finished Neuromancer for the heist prompt. It took a couple of months, because my spouse and I wanted to do it as an audio together, but didn't like the narrator. Then we had a couple friends (who are also doing the challenge) who wanted to read it along with us. So my spouse, who used to be in theater, narrated and recorded it for us all. Sometimes we were too busy to record, so it took forever. But unfortunately, I did not enjoy the book. I was SO hoping I would - I generally love sci-fi/cyberpunk. But it just seemed wordy and dated to me, and it was a real struggle to finish. I can appreciate it for what it was, though, and still haven't given up on William Gibson - I intend to try several of his others.

Currently reading: Not sure. I have The Time Traveler's Wife checked out from the library, which I might read for the "set in a bookstore or library" prompt, but I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for at the moment. Might have hit a bit of a reading slump.

QOTW: I don't really have a favorite time to read, as my schedule changes constantly so my free time is all over the place. I used to read before bed every night, now sometimes it's in the morning, sometimes it's in the middle of the day for a little while if I'm not working on anything. I actually don't read much on weekends (unless it's early morning / late night) because I try to reserve those for family activities. Unless, of course, we're listening to an audiobook together (which does happen).

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 897 comments Megan wrote: "Finished - The Carrie Diaries. This is for my decade I was born in (80's). It was ok - I prefer the tv show.

Finished Lady Renegades. I started this series a while ..."

I much prefer the Nick and Norah movie over the book too. With the film, you just see the external of the cute but awkward music nerds but with the book, you have their incredibly annoying and incredibly pretentious inner monologues and they're no longer so endearing.

message 36: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 790 comments Diane wrote: "So I see a few of you have tackled, and not liked, Catch-22. Morgan Freeman sold me on this one during the Great American Read PBS show. I was really looking forward to it, but not so..."

Diane, all I'll say is if you do start it, finish it. The last part of the book is 1000 times better than the first part, so if you get through the first part, at least make it worth it by finishing it.

message 37: by SadieReadsAgain (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Katy wrote: "Diane wrote: "So I see a few of you have tackled, and not liked, Catch-22. Morgan Freeman sold me on this one during the Great American Read PBS show. I was really looking forward to ..."

Agree totally. If you can make it through the first 100 pages, you should stick it out because the end is much stronger than the start.

message 38: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Congrats to Sheri for finishing two reading challenges. I don't know how you guys do more than one, so I'm in awe.

message 39: by Johanne (last edited Aug 23, 2018 01:47PM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Good evening everyone!
It is a good reading week.

I went on a reading spree of 4 Lila Monroe contemporary romances. These are quite funny and don´t have the "damsel in distress needs rescuing by man" trope that I highly dislike. They don´t leave a lasting impression, but they´re entertaining.

From the entertainment department I also read Poison or Protect a novella in Gail Carrigers parasolverse. I liked the Finishing School series better (in the same universe), where there were a lot more focus on character development and all the insanely cool gadgetry! It was still an okay read, and fits "alliteration in title" if I don´t manage to read Pride and Prejudice as planned (I also think it´s quite cool that the title "Poison or Protect" and the other titles in the Finishing School series must be a homage to Jane Austen).

Kongefløjten (The King Flute) a picture book and På vej mod Sophie (On the Road to Sophie) for review work (the latter is a YA about a transgender person, so it would fit LGBT, if I had that left).

Here by Richard McGuire, an insanely cool graphic novel that takes place in the exact same spot and stretches from the faraway past to the future, and Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss, both for "Mentioned in a book" (ordinary and picture book version of challenge). They were mentioned in Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life that I am currently reading. I want to be friends with Annie Spence and I want to keep the book :) (It´s a library book).

Finally finished Trækopfuglens krønike (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle) by Haruki Murakami on audiobook for "Set in a place that fascinates you" (Japan). If you like Murakami´s weirdness, like I do, then you´ll like this one.

Going to pick up The Lies of Locke Lamora after a short break, and started Det store bogtyveri (The Big Book Theft) on audio.

Question of the week:

Since joining this group I´ve started listening to audiobooks again, on my daily bicycle ride to work (25 min each way). I also took up listening to audiobooks while doing jigsaw puzzles in the winter - I used to do this as a child. On weekdays I read in bed before going to sleep. I also read in the living room at night, when my kids have gone to bed (although my 17yr old is very talkative in the evenings). I then sit in the sofa and read while my husband, and sometimes son(s), watch football (soccer). I look up when there´s a goal, so I´m kind of watching and reading at the same time; it´s a battle of intensity between book and match :). This also happens on weekend afternoons. In the weekends I also like to read after breakfast with a cup of coffee before the to-do things of the day; at this time of year, I like to sit outside if it´s not raining. I like travelling and waiting and always have, I view these as "free" spaces where I can read or let my mind wander (I told a friend this recently, he thought it sounded like newage bullshit "waiting is free time, where you don´t have anything to do or anywhere to be" is what I said. He´s a good friend so it was all good-natured teasing). I also sometimes have a weekday off because I work weekends once a month. I try not to plan anything on these days, so I can read! It´s safe to say I try to squeeze in reading whenever.

Thegirlintheafternoon Slumping so hard, y'all. SO HARD.

...That's all I've got.

message 41: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments oshizu wrote: "This year is my first attempt at a reading challenge. . .
Also, I'm very self-conscious about describing books still as I only joined Goodreads in June. Here goes..."

No need to be self-conscious, although I also was at the beginning of the year. Your check-in was great. It's one of the many things I love about this group - there's no right and wrong. Just be you.

message 42: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Eujean2 wrote: "My favorite special treat reading time is going to a café and sipping a chai. "

I had to laugh as I was literally sipping a chai while I read that sentence!

message 43: by Teri (last edited Aug 23, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Since I keep commenting on everyone else's, I guess I'd better do my own check-in.

I finished 3 books this week, 2 for the challenge:

8. Time of day - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I read this for the monthly challenge, even though I was doing it for a different prompt. I spread the reading out for two weeks, but couldn't stand waiting any longer than that. I know some people aren't a fan, but I loved this book. I thought it was magical.

29. Set on Halloween - Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie
I was going to wait to read this for the October monthly challenge, but I'm going to be finished with the entire challenge shortly so figured there was no reason to wait. This wasn't my favorite Agatha Christie book, but it entertained me in many ways. I'll save my comments for the monthly challenge, though.

Not for challenge - After Anna by Lisa Scottoline
I joined a Twitter book club done by Ekpe Udoh of the Utah Jazz (#Ekpesbookclub), and Monday was the first week of discussion (out of 3). I picked up the book Saturday evening to read the required 130 pages - and I was not able to stop. I finished the book at 6am. I tried at one point to sleep, but I couldn't stop thinking about the book and I HAD TO KNOW. I have no self-discipline. It was my first time reading this author, but it won't be the last. It isn't a perfect book, but it hooks you from the first page. Ms. Scottoline herself joined in on the Twitter discussion Monday, so that was fun.

41/42 regular, 6/10 advanced, 18 non-challenge = 65 books
Only 5 books to go, and they are all in a pile by my bed. But first I have to finish my IRL book club book.

QOTW:
I always have an audiobook going in my car. My commute is only 10 minutes, so it takes 3-4 weeks to finish a decent sized book. As the books are close to the end, I sit in my car in the driveway for longer and longer periods of time because I don't want to leave. My neighbors likely think I'm crazy.

I live with my mom, so I usually spend a few hours with her when I get home from work. I always have a book close by, just in case she dozes off (she's 80 so it happens often). And then I read for about an hour before bed. I fit in as much reading as I can on the weekends. I don't watch a lot of TV, other than the news and sports (Go Utah Jazz!)

message 44: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 793 comments Teri,

I allowed myself to double-count books across the challenges, but not within the same challenge. Some of my books even managed to count for all three. So yeah it's a lot of books, but it's not AS many as you think haha.

message 45: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 793 comments Teri, Also thank you! :)

message 46: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Dani wrote: "Salty Um. This book was for the Goodreads challenge, they had a prompt for a book that involves nudity or a nudist colony. Is that even an actual genre? It’s kind of hard to find a book that fit this prompt that wasn’t gross. Except, this book is pretty gross. It was kind of funny, I guess but so over the top with the voyeurism and sexual language. Basically it’s about an old rockstar (who mentions that he’s a famous, rich rockstar every chance he gets) whose supermodel wife gets kidnapped while while they’re on vacation in Thailand. Antics ensue, people get naked, it’s a weird book. Thankfully it was tolerable because I rage quit my first book for this prompt (Naked Lunch)"

Wow, I hope I never do a challenge with that type of prompt. That would take me just a bit too far out of my comfort zone.

message 47: by Stacey (last edited Aug 23, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments Happy Thursday!

Currently at 42/52 for the PS Challenge!
This week I only managed to finish 2 books (well 3 I guess if you want to be literal and count a children's book that I previewed for my nephew but I'm not really counting it)!

The last 3 check-ins I've said finally I don't have any more company coming so I can finally get back to reading as much as I want to and every week I seem to have unexpected company.....so it should be no surprise that this week was the same!! I had company 4/7 evenings this week & went fishing with my dad on a 5th night. I love seeing everyone and getting to visit (and fishing of course!) but it has seriously reduced my precious reading time!! Maybe next week will finally be the week?! I decided I'm not answering my phone this weekend and I'm having a quiet weekend at home alone snuggled up with my dog, my books and a cup of tea! *Wish me luck* =P

Despite only finishing 2 books this week I am happy/relieved as I finally have picked up a book that I can tell will be a 4-5 star read for me! The last 10 books (or several weeks - since I've had so much company) that I've read have been 1-3 star reads so I was starting to be a little disappointed/hit a slump and now I feel like I've gotten some momentum and excitement back! =) So YAY!

Finished This Week

Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls by Lauren Graham ⭐️⭐️⭐️ for 35) A Past Goodreads Choice Award Winner - This book had a couple laugh-out-loud funny moments and I enjoyed reading about Gilmore Girls a bit as it is a show that I used to love but I felt she really didn't go into depth on so many things. This book really wasn't dishy as you might expect a celebrity memoir to be and I just didn't get into it that much.

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton ⭐️⭐️ for 15) A Book about Feminism - This book is set in 60's America and follows the lives of 5 women who become friends and who are trying to become published authors while juggling their other responsibilities. There are ups & downs throughout the book and this book talks about what these women think/experience during the women's movement. Sounds like something that should be a fantastic read right? Only it really wasn't! The characters were pretty flat and stereotypical, there were a few great moments but those moments were tucked between a lot of monotonous content that seemed to go on FOREVER for a book that was shorter than my typical read. When I marked this book as completed I realized there was a sequel and I immediately felt a sense of aw crap! I have this weird sense of I should read the second book but my feelings are also saying don't subject yourself to another meh book on purpose! xD

Currently Reading

Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella - Not for the challenge (it works for published in 2018 & twins & problem facing society - how to keep a marriage fresh...if anyone's looking, but I've already filled all of those). Anyways, as I mentioned before, I really needed a good book to get me out of the slump I was starting to be in! I have read a lot of Kinsella books and I love her sense of humour, I've really enjoyed all of her books that I've read (with 2 exceptions) - some I still count among my favourites: The Undomestic Goddess & Can You Keep a Secret?! If you enjoy reading funny Chick-Lit every now and again, I really recommend checking out those books of hers! It's not a genre I read all the time, but I have to say she is part of the reason I grew to love reading as much as I do!

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern for 8) Book with a time of day in the title - I'm still at 50% and didn't even touch the book this week. I was holding back finishing so that I could be on time with the monthly discussion - while I knew it wasn't really my thing to read a book in chunks over a long period of time I tried it anyways and confirmed that it's really not my thing. My interest has dwindled since I haven't picked it up lately. For the next monthly challenges that I participate in I'm just going to read quickly and try to answer the questions after the fact as best I can OR save it until the last week of the month and join the discussion late while everything is still fresh.

QOTW

Whenever I have time really! My favourite times to read are when my surroundings are quiet and cozy so I do most of my reading in the morning or at night in bed but I also find anytime I have the house to myself my first instinct is usually to curl up on the couch with a book unless there's something I've been meaning to tackle around home.

I thought about trying an audiobook that I only listen to while I'm exercising as motivation however I usually carve out that time as podcast time and if I'm running, I find that music with a good beat helps me keep a better pace.

message 48: by Stacey (last edited Aug 23, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments Teri wrote: "Eujean2 wrote: "My favorite special treat reading time is going to a café and sipping a chai. "

I had to laugh as I was literally sipping a chai while I read that sentence!"

Love it! Chai is hands down my favourite tea (and latte for that matter)! I was at David's Tea this weekend and just bought some "Chocolate Chili Chai" that I'm excited to try soon! =D

message 49: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Diane wrote: "So I see a few of you have tackled, and not liked, Catch-22. Morgan Freeman sold me on this one during the Great American Read PBS show. I was really looking forward to it, but not so much anymore. I will at some point read it."

It's a book that everyone should read in their lifetime, I suppose, but it isn't a fun, easy read for sure. Once you finish it, you feel a sense of accomplishment and can then understand any references and answer trivia questions. Maybe you'll be one of the people that love it, but even if you don't, you can feel superior to those who haven't read it. (I look for silver linings)

message 50: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 793 comments I'll throw in my 2 cents as far as Catch-22...I read it, I finished it, I didn't really feel anything but relief that it was done. I spent most of the book wondering why it was still considered a classic. And honestly I couldn't really tell you anything about it now, I think my mind violently ejected everything about it upon finish haha.

« previous 1 3