UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2018-20 > Psychiatry/Madness - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
September is on our doorstep, so I've spun the virtual wheel and Psychiatry & Madness have come up as the genres for next month.

Weirdly, I'm currently reading a very good non-fiction book about PTSD!

I've had a quick look through my own to-read list and I might go for the memoir: Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kayson, or on the fictional side: Poppy Shakespeare by Clare Allen, or maybe even something a little more gothic: Asylum by Patrick McGrath.

What about you?

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen Poppy Shakespeare by Clare Allan Asylum by Patrick McGrath

message 2: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 610 comments Might be the excuse I need to read Left Neglected by Lisa Genova, which is another mental health novel following on from her wonderful Oscar winning Still Alice.

message 3: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I think I might read Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 216 comments Em wrote: "I think I might read Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig."
I've been thinking about that as well but not sure -have you started it get ?

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2776 comments I'm not sure I have anything that fits the bill on my bookshelf, but I might check out Don't Say a Word by Andrew Klavan or The Fiend by Margaret Millar. Both are fiction and mysteries of sorts and I think they might have elements of madness / psychiatry in them.

message 6: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1387 comments Mod
I have just the book! Hamlet (No Fear Shakespeare Graphic Novels) by Neil Babra
Its a graphic novel of Hamlet!

message 7: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Not started yet but have bought it so will do soon, I recently read “Reasons to Stay Alive” and thought it was very good so think I’ll like this too.

message 8: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2018 03:46AM) (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
I can't get hold of Girl, Interrupted. The library doesn't have a copy and it's not available for Kindle. I'm surprised, as it was made into a film a few years back, so it's not exactly obscure... I have managed to reserve a copy of Asylum, so I will start with that...

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen Asylum by Patrick McGrath

message 9: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) | 2931 comments Liz wrote: "September is on our doorstep, so I've spun the virtual wheel and Psychiatry & Madness have come up as the genres for next month.

Weirdly, I'm currently reading a very good non-fiction book about P..."

What's your book on PTSD called Liz? I could do with having a look at that. I'm currently writing about someone who suffers from that, so it's a good idea if I know what I'm talking about!!

message 10: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 494 comments Does anyone know of any historical fiction or secondary source material on psychiatric ailments in early nineteenth-century England that they might recommend? My next book but one will center on a mentally ill character.

message 11: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
Managed to delete my comment - oops!

It's called The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma - gives a good history/background to the condition and various treatments that have been tried over the years, as well as latest therapies etc. It's accessible to the layperson, but written by a psychiatrist and fully supported by references etc. So I think it would be pretty useful for research, Tori.

The Body Keeps the Score Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel A. van der Kolk

message 12: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2018 03:54AM) (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
Managed to find a copy of, and have whizzed though, Girl, Interrupted. Which I thought was very good. It was particularly interesting reading at the same time as my book on trauma...

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

message 14: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Sep 25, 2018 04:36AM) (new)

Liz | 3537 comments Mod
Just started Asylum. Expecting something a little gothic and over the top...

Asylum by Patrick McGrath

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 216 comments Loved counselling for Toads would recommend for anyone wanting a bit of self discovery or to try and understand what may lie beneath other people's reactions to situations
written in a very light hearted way with the characters of wind in the willows

message 17: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1387 comments Mod
Just finished Hamlet (No Fear Shakespeare Graphic Novels) by Neil Babra and gave it an outstanding 5 stars. So well illustrated and far easier than reading the play (which I did for A-level).
So that ticked madness nicely!

message 18: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Matt Haig's Notes on a Nervous Planet was good I thought - I've been reflecting on the pace of my day to day life lately, so this and Reasons to Stay Alive have both resonated with me.

message 19: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 494 comments If you are interested in schizophrenia, you might want to look for Nola by Robin Hemley. It's his memoir of his sister and her journey into madness, absolutely riveting.

message 20: by Mercia (new)

Mercia McMahon (merciamcmahon) | 610 comments Work commitments are keeping me very busy I'll have to give this genre I love a miss.

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2776 comments I didn't really succeed with this month's challenge. Hoping to do better with the next one.