Goodreaders discussion

Free Beta readers wanted > YA (urban) supernatural fantasy: Cards of Death book 1

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (last edited Aug 23, 2018 08:00AM) (new)

Tamara Geraeds | 9 comments Hi everyone, I’m looking for FREE beta readers for the (full) first book in my Cards of Death series. An exchange is possible, if I can read for you later in the year. (just tell me when you need a reader and I'll check my schedule) I will send it to the beta readers on September 10th and I will need their comments on September 23rd at the latest.

Cards of Death is a YA (urban) supernatural fantasy series. Book 1, The 1st Demon, will consist of approximately 65000 words. You will receive a Word document or PDF, whichever you like.
I will provide a list of things to look out for in the email.

What I’m looking for is:
-experienced YA beta readers
-preferably American or with knowledge of American English
-readers who like YA fantasy books
-readers who can meet the deadline

Hope you guys can help me! :-)

Here's the blurb:

CARDS OF DEATH
The 1st Demon

Caught in a magical world he never knew existed,
Dante has only one choice: fight or die.

Things haven't been easy for sixteen-year-old Dante Banner.
Abandoned by his father, he has been dealing with his mother's unexplained seizures on his own. He has always coped. Until now.

After he inherits a haunted house, a pair of demonic cards appear on his doorstep. A mysterious voice urges him to ‘save him or all will be lost’. His search for the meaning of those words just begins when things spin out of control. Demons are coming to kill him and the ghosts residing in the home can only protect him so much. He has to do what the voice tells him, or he will lose everyone he cares about.
But danger lurks around every corner. Even those close to him can't be trusted. Will he be able to fight off the monsters trying to stop him, or perish along with the rest of humanity?

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Geraeds | 9 comments An exchange is possible, if I can read for you later in the year. (just tell me when you need a reader and I'll check my schedule)

message 3: by Jumpj1952 (new)

Jumpj1952 | 3 comments I would be willing to read your story. You will have to tell me what you are looking for in a beta reader. Do you just want an overall view of the story? Do you want me to tell you where in story it falls apart (in my opinion)? I am not a professional editor, but I am a good reader and I can generally tell if this is a good story or not.

I might need a beta reader later this year.

message 4: by Tamara (last edited Aug 25, 2018 02:53AM) (new)

Tamara Geraeds | 9 comments Hi Jumpj1952! That is great! That's pretty much what I'm looking for, yes. I've got a few things that need some extra attention. I'll put it all in the email when I send my manuscript. If you give me a heads up a few weeks before you need a reader yourself, it should be fine. Can you pm me your email address?

message 5: by Jumpj1952 (new)

Jumpj1952 | 3 comments Dear Tamara;

My email is: Jumpj1952@hotmail.com. Please attach a word file to the email. I would be happy to help you out. Since the book is so long (65000 words), would you want me to give you updates as I read it or do you want me to read the entire book before I comment?

message 6: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Geraeds | 9 comments I'm going on vacation, so I'll start working on it when I get back, which is on the 24th ;-) So all the feedback at once is fine. Thanks in advance!

message 7: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Geraeds | 9 comments Still looking for a couple more beta readers. Is anyone else interested?

message 8: by Edith (new)

Edith Hilthrup | 2 comments Hi Tamara!
I'd like to be one of your beta-readers. I've done beta-reading in real life, not online before. I'm also an author and would like to potentially swap stories with you (the story is ready right now, whenever works for you).
Also, your blurb was fantastic! Although I would change the line that says, "Even those close to him can't be trusted." to say: "Even those closest to him" because "those" and "close" sound too similar, and I think "those closest" sounds more normal.
Thanks, and good luck!

message 9: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Geraeds | 9 comments Good advice! Thanks! Swapping is difficult right now, because in September and October I'm already reading for two people and I'm a slow reader. But if I can read for you later, it's not a problem. Please let me know.

message 10: by Edith (new)

Edith Hilthrup | 2 comments Well, I'd still like to beta-read for you even if you can't read mine yet. I prefer a Word file; my email is eahilt @ gmail.com
Can I email you as I read it, or do you want my entire critique in one email after I have finished?

message 11: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Geraeds | 9 comments That's great! Thanks! I prefer all the feedback in one file. If I have time for a beta read myself I'll let you know. What kind of story is it?

message 12: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Geraeds | 9 comments Sounds very interesting!

message 13: by Aitch (new)

Aitch Diamond | 30 comments Mod
Edith wrote: "If you have time for my story, it's a 70K Paranormal new adult book about an ex-criminal who becomes a good guy when he saves two people from his gang. Then one day his girlfriend dies (the same gi..."

Edith, why not post your request for a beta reader as a new topic?