Play Book Tag discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
Archive: Other Books > The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments I finally decided to read the The Book Thief, which has been dusting of my shelf for quite some time. The book takes place in Nazi Germany, and is narrated by death which gives it quite a special frame for the book. As I had heard so many praises for this book, I was a bit worried it would not live up the hype. But it did, it was such a beautiful book!

The best part of the book was the characters, which were so well developed. The main person, Liesel, a nine year old girl, did not have an easy start to life as her parents were sent out to the concentration camps. She was then brought up with a curt (but caring) foster mother and a loving foster father. Her foster father is the one that helps her discovering the magical world of books by helping her learn how to read.

Despite all the sad things that happen throughout the book, the Holocoust, a country ruled by a fanatical, the bombing, Liesel and her friend Ruby is able to find happy moments. This makes the story optimistic, after all. A beautiful novel!

Jess Penhallow | 53 comments I have about 100 pages left of this book. I agree that it is a really beautiful book. The language is so simple but that adds to it's charm

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9383 comments Another longtime favorite of mine.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book. One of my favorites in fact. So glad you loved it.

Jess Penhallow | 53 comments Just finished it. I cried. A lot.

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments Glad you liked it as well, Jess! I hope you were reading the last pages at home, lol.

Amy/Rachel: It seems to be loved by most. That can be a bit scary, as I often find that books that get hyped to much can be a bit of a letdown. Luckily not the case for this one :)

Jess Penhallow | 53 comments I was actually in public in the park but I was wearing shades so nobody could tell!

Charlotte | 1663 comments I read this book earlier this year and it is easily one of the top 5 of the books I read this year. I loved the twist of Death being the narrator!

message 9: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2672 comments This is one I want to re-read. I absolutely loved it, but the details haven’t stuck in my memory, so it would be like reading it for the first time :)

Susie | 4488 comments I think I would like to reread it too.

message 11: by Idit (new) - rated it 2 stars

Idit | 1028 comments I think I must be the only one who didn’t like it
(I can’t even explain why exactly because it’s faded away from my memory now. I think I felt the emotional manipulation was heavy handed. But I really can’t remember

Booknblues | 6891 comments I loved this book. Huge loud choking sobs while reading it.

Idit, there were several members here whose opinions I value who didn't like this book.

message 13: by Idit (new) - rated it 2 stars

Idit | 1028 comments Not to say I didn’t need to wipe tears of course :)

Michelle M. | 46 comments It is for sure a tear jerker! Loved the book. I will re-read it!