Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Top Three Unknown/Underrated Books (under 3000 ratings)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:45PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
There's always that one book or series you are forever trying to convince people to read and it seems like you're the only one who knows about it. One of the best parts about a group like this is we can share those little-known hidden gems and finally talk about them with people!

Share your three favourite fantasy books that don't seem to get enough love. We're using 3000 ratings on GR as our guideline.

message 2: by Lena (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:52PM) (new)

message 3: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Mmmmh. I only have 2 recommendations as I haven't really explored all those hidden gems in the Fantasy genre yet. (Well, I haven't even read most of the popular series so far :p)

The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1) by Courtney Schafer Wheel of the Infinite by Martha Wells

message 4: by Tammie (last edited Aug 23, 2018 11:36AM) (new)

Tammie | 4379 comments Getting under 3000 ended up being pretty tough. There were three books that I just knew I was going to add to this list, but they ended up having more than 3000 ratings, so I settled for these:

Dark Alchemy (Dark Alchemy, #1) by Laura Bickle This is the first book in a series that I've been enjoying quite bit. It's like an urban fantasy but it's in a rural setting.

Song of the Beast by Carol Berg I was surprised this had under 3000 ratings. I recently buddy read this with Laura and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

The Rise of Renegade X (Renegade X, #1) by Chelsea M. Campbell This is a YA book with super heroes and villains. It's a fun read with a snarky protagonist.

message 5: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I'm going to cheat (again) and recommend two scifi and one fantasy 🙈

The Loneliest Girl in the Universe - which i recently read and surpassed all of my expectations.

Die Gemeinschaft der Drei - which is only available in german and french, i think. Read the first book as a child and reread/finished it last year. It's worth checking out, if you happen to speak either of those languages :)

The Tiny Wife - short and sweet

message 6: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Here's my three.

(In no particular order).

The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman , Trust no one. Did I say trust no one? Yes - absolutely - trust no one.

Location, Location, Damnation (The Brackenford Cycle #1) by Nick Moseley , A very clever, very witty, urban fantasy that treads the fine line between comedy and drama.

Blood Work (Night Call #1) by L.J. Hayward , L.J. Hayward writes very well, with a strong professional style. The main characters are well drawn and nuanced. The plot is entertaining, and engaging.

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Aug 23, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

message 8: by Lena (new)

Lena Graeme wrote: "Here's my three.

(In no particular order).

The Lesser Dead by Christopher Buehlman, Trust no one. Did I say trust no one? Yes - absolutely - trust no one.

[bookcover:Location, Location, Damnation|..."

I agree with all!

message 9: by Graeme (last edited Aug 23, 2018 03:14PM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I TBR'ed Immortal, I'm sure I'll find other gems on this list.

EDIT: I just TBR'ed a bunch of books off this list.

message 10: by Lena (last edited Aug 23, 2018 02:59PM) (new)

Lena I've read nine books by Gene Doucette and already bought two more to be read soon. Safe to say I highly recommend, lol.

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I tried to find books that were first in the series with under 3000 ratings and could only find 3 that were 4 or 5* ratings. The good news is that because of this, I know there's plenty more I need to read in the genre!

Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1) by Michael R. Fletcher Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1) by Jeff Salyards The Builders by Daniel Polansky

1. Beyond Redemption - I really don't know how this series has not become more popular. Not a single one of my friends on GR have rated it lower than 4*s.

2. Scourge of the Betrayer - I think this is the third top three list in a row that I've recommended this series.

3. The Builders - The adult version of all the Redwall and other animal fantasy you read as a kid.

message 12: by Jess (last edited Aug 23, 2018 04:37PM) (new)

Jess Penhallow | 6 comments I loved Naomi Kritzer's Eliana duology: Fires of the Faithful and Turning the Storm.

It's an alternate history fantasy where magic is channelled through music and it has an awesome female, lesbian protagonist.

I also liked Divided Kingdom which had the same premise as Divergent but, in my opinion, executed much more skillfully.

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Aug 24, 2018 11:34AM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
I scoped out my favs list and there was only one that made the cut (but it's a good one!):
Dragon Weather (Obsidian Chronicles, #1) by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Dragon Weather

These others are still favs, even if they didn't quite make the all-time list:
The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1) by Juliet E. McKenna
The Thief's Gamble
The Heart of Myrial by Maggie Furey
The Heart of Myrial
Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1) by Julie E. Czerneda
Beholder's Eye

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 150 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I scoped out my favs list and there was only one that made the cut (but it's a good one!):
Dragon Weather

These others are still favs, even if they ..."

I couldnt agree more about The Thief's Gamble! I love that series so much

message 15: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3604 comments Mod
Jenna wrote: "I tried to find books that were first in the series with under 3000 ratings and could only find 3 that were 4 or 5* ratings. The good news is that because of this, I know there's plenty more I need..."

Scourge of the Betrayer was such a good book. I enjoyed that whole series.

message 16: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I tried to find books that were first in the series with under 3000 ratings and could only find 3 that were 4 or 5* ratings. The good news is that because of this, I know there's plen..."

I feel like that's the last time we did a BR together! It was a really fun series :)

message 17: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3604 comments Mod
It probably was. Malazan has taken over my buddy read life for nearly two years. 😂

message 18: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "It probably was. Malazan has taken over my buddy read life for nearly two years. 😂"

Haha yeah, Malazan will do that to you.

message 19: by Slick (new)

Slick | 94 comments Malazan isn't a series. It's a way of life XD

These are 3 Books/Series under 3000 ratings i personally enjoyed.

The Crimson Queen Fantasy Debut
A Power Renewed Urban Fantasy
Blood and Iron Fantasy

message 20: by Shae (last edited Nov 07, 2018 05:14PM) (new)

Shae | 372 comments Here's 2 series that I enjoyed, that both average 4 stars on GR and have less than 3000 ratings:

1. Disruption (by Jessica Shirvington) - 2 books in series. YA/NA/Sci-Fi/Dystopian Reality.

2. The Chronicles of Kaya (by Charlotte McConaghy) - 3 books in series. YA/NA/Fantasy/Romance.

message 21: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments well, thank you for swelling my tbr again ;p

message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Jenna wrote: "I tried to find books that were first in the series with under 3000 ratings and could only find 3 that were 4 or 5* ratings. The good news is that because of this, I know there's plenty more I need..."

I haven't read many books with less than 3000 ratings (so far, I'm intending to change that) but Beyond Redemption is truly amazing, this series needs more attention!
I want to read Scourge of the Betrayer since you're saying so often that it's amazing :)

message 23: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Bea wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I tried to find books that were first in the series with under 3000 ratings and could only find 3 that were 4 or 5* ratings. The good news is that because of this, I know there's plen..."

Yay! My constant badgering about Bloodsounder's Arc has convinced at least someone!

message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments I second the greatness of Bloodsounder’s Arc if that helps at all.

message 25: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I really liked all of these. =D

Bookburners The Complete Season 1 (Bookburners #1.1-1.16) by Max Gladstone - Collaborated serial style book written by six authors.

Locke & Key by Joe Hill - Audible Original production with a cast of narrators. I did not read the comics and loved this. Tried the comics & did not like the art. Which sucks cause I wanted to read the comics too.

The Brotherhood of the Wheel (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #1) by R.S. Belcher - I love everything about this book & audiobook. My intro to the author & immediately added him to my fav list.

Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection by Alexander C. Kane - Audiobook Only. Hilariously good times. If you like superhero stories & humor, you'll like this.

The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp - Trippy & smart. An actual mystery in the story.

Sir Apropos of Nothing (Sir Apropos of Nothing, #1) by Peter David - Oldie but a goodie. Can't believe it has so little ratings. Satirical fantasy.

The Grey Bastards (The Lot Lands, #1) by Jonathan French - I actually wasn't sure if I would enjoy this book but it was fantastic! Rough humor, solid characters & world building. I'm sure this will skyrocket ratings wise. New for now and definitely a series to follow.

message 26: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Soo wrote: "I really liked all of these. =D

Bookburners The Complete Season 1 (Bookburners #1.1-1.16) by Max Gladstone - Collaborated serial style book written by six authors.

Locke & Key by Joe Hill - Audible Origin..."

I put a couple of these on my Tbr, it's always great to find out about books you didn't know before :)

message 27: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Gotta share the love right? Bwahaha

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I scoped out my favs list and there was only one that made the cut (but it's a good one!):
Dragon Weather

These others are still favs, even if they ..."

I've gotten 2 of these because of your rec Niki. And they're on my TBR for October. Now I'll get the rest also. :)

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Jenna wrote: "I tried to find books that were first in the series with under 3000 ratings and could only find 3 that were 4 or 5* ratings. The good news is that because of this, I know there's plenty more I need..."

I didn't even know about the Builders. And it seems great! I added it. :)

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Among my favourites with under 3000 ratings:
To Ride Hell’s Chasm
And
A Soul For Trouble

Guns of the Dawn
And
Song of the Beast
Have already been mentioned but I'll second them.

All the above books have been 5 star reads for me. Great stuff that people don't really seem to know about.

message 31: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Laura wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I tried to find books that were first in the series with under 3000 ratings and could only find 3 that were 4 or 5* ratings. The good news is that because of this, I know there's plen..."

Yay! It was a fun one :)

This is list is a treasure trove of books I haven't heard of either :)

message 32: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Brittany wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I scoped out my favs list and there was only one that made the cut (but it's a good one!):
Dragon Weather

These others are still..."

:D!!!! I'm so excited you've read her haha.

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Laura wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I scoped out my favs list and there was only one that made the cut (but it's a good one!):
Dragon Weather

These others are still..."

Oh, yay! Oooohh I'm looking forward to see how you like them. :D