Read Your Face Off Book Club discussion

Beartown (Beartown, #1)
This topic is about Beartown
Beartown > Chapters 25-31

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Riley (rileyfickett) | 154 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for Chapters 25-31 of Beartown. Please keep discussion to this section of the book. If you have not read this section, beware of spoilers!

Anita Reads | 10 comments Mod
Forgot to update at the end of last section, so adding my thoughts here.
I don't know what to say right now. I really enjoy all the character studying, and to see the different reactions to the situation at hand.

Amad, Benji, Bobo and Maja seem to be my favorites of the young characters. So many emotions about what Maja is going through.

I am surprised it took this long for the rape to happen, as it's always in the summaries. I guess it's to make sure we all have some opinions about the character and it makes up feel more passionately about what is going on.

Chloe (Always Booked) (alwaysbooked) I agree. The build up was too long for me. I appreciate getting to know everyone but it was too slow and drawn out for me.

Andrea (booksandscribbles) | 32 comments Mod
I feel like the buildup was so long to try and make us feel a connection with Kevin. Sorry but that backfired. Just because you have a crappy relationship with your parents doesn't give you the right to rape someone.

I was hoping Benji would do the right thing and not choose hockey over reporting what he saw, same with Amat. Sadly that didn't happen, not that I am surprised.

I feel bad for Maya because I'm pretty sure the backlash from this will be bad given how much everyone idolizes Kevin.

Belle Lumiere (bellelumiere) | 25 comments Mod
I think it can be difficult when a book is set over a short amount of time - things do seem to drag a little bit. But personally I haven’t had that feeling with the book so far, I’m enjoying the pace and the character development. I think it’s also hard with such a large cast of characters - they’re all getting their time.

At this point I am really loving Maya and Ana’s friendship. I had a best friend in high school (we are still close today), and their relationship is lovely to read. Ana running to find Maya after seeing Kevin was heartbreaking.

It’s hard to read what Maya is going through with the police questioning. We all know how true it is that often the victim is the one being put on trial after something like this. I’m glad she is staying strong but it is all so unfair.

Riley (rileyfickett) | 154 comments Mod
I agree with Jess - I’m actually really enjoying the pace and the character development. Getting to know each character has made the reactions of the community so much more realistic for me.

This story is so hard to read because it’s so TRUE. Right off the bat Maya is persecuted for her role in the situation. The line where it’s said that Kevin keeps being referred to as “the boy” and Maya is being referred to as “the young woman”.... damn. That gave me such a pit in my stomach. Girls are always expected to be the responsible ones and if something bad happens she should have known better because HE’S JUST A BOY.

Ugh. Why is the world terrible for women? 😡