Read Your Face Off Book Club discussion

Beartown (Beartown, #1)
This topic is about Beartown
Beartown > Chapters 8-13

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Riley (rileyfickett) | 154 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for Chapters 8-13 of Beartown. Please keep discussion to this section of the book. If you have not read this section, beware of spoilers!

Anita Reads | 10 comments Mod
So I read the first 2 parts now. So far we've only been introduced to the characters and slowly getting to know them. I enjoy the time Frederik spends building up his characters.
I also relate a lot to the small town thing where everything revolves around the same thing. In my case it was handball however.

So far I like it, but it's also a tad slow.

Chloe (Always Booked) (alwaysbooked) I agree. I feel like there have been so many introductions and a lot of tension building but not much for plot. College football is like hockey in my town. The town is a ghost town on saturdays because everyone is at the stadium. Our town is covered in team colors and the highway leading into our town is named after our long term head coach. I totally understand the passion and excitement that’s building and I’m just waiting for the ball to drop. I do hope we’ve met all the characters though. Any more team members, friends, coaches, managers, etc. will make it confusing for me.

Andrea (booksandscribbles) | 32 comments Mod
So glad I am not the only one that is getting confused. On one hand I'm really happy that we're taking the time to get to know all of the players in story but on the other hand I kind of feel like some of them are not really necessary for me to know. I don't know. I guess we will find out the further the story goes whether or not all of these characters were necessary for us to get to know on an individual basis.

Chloe (Always Booked) (alwaysbooked) Yes! I think getting to know them helps set the vibe of the team and maybe showcase the fact that hockey defines them even though they all have other things going on? I agree that it feels like knowing that many people is unnecessary and may have contributed to why I felt the first half or so was so slow.

Riley (rileyfickett) | 154 comments Mod
I feel like I’m in the minority because I’m really enjoying this 😂 Not sure if it’s because I’ve been so connected to athletics my entire life but I’ve found this book fairly easy to follow thus far. I’m sure it’ll start clearing up as we get further into the story.

100% rooting for Amat and his mom! Also want to know what happened to Peter and Kira’s third child!

Belle Lumiere (bellelumiere) | 25 comments Mod
I'm with you Riley, I'm finding it quite easy to follow and I'm not feeling overwhelmed with the cast of characters at this stage.

I think we're going to get an interesting look at gender politics in this book, not just through Kira and her life as a "career woman", but through the hockey players as well. The line "She wonders what it would take for a woman to be the right kind of guy." stuck with me and is something I can relate to in my own career so far.

I love having an underdog to root for, so Amat and his mum are some of my favourite characters so far. I'm also loving Benji and his loyalty - him standing up for Amat (vs Bobo) at the end of this section was nice to see.

Shirley Garmon | 2 comments Is there a list of characters somewhere? I just finished through Chapter 13 and so far it's so slow and uninteresting to me. This book has so many five star ratings I'm trying to finish it but I am so bored so far. Maybe if I had a list of the characters it would help. I am not interested enough in them it seems to remember who they are other than Amat and Kevin. I am listening rather than reading so it's hard to go back and figure out who people are.

Shirley Garmon | 2 comments I found a character list here https://www.bookcompanion.com/beartow.... Hopefully this will help me keep going.