75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Stephen King
This topic is about Stephen King
2016-2022 Chat > 2018 Kingtober - Stephen King for October!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 8012 comments Mod
Since September is quickly approaching, I've started thinking about October aka Kingtober! I plan on reading only Stephen King novels again this year! So there are prepping requirements so that I'm not in the middle of books come October 1.

Who's joining me this year? Will you dabble or will you go hardcore mode like me? lol

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Aug 24, 2018 06:47AM) (new)

I think my main goal will be to finish The Dark Tower series. I'm on book 3 and have been since LAST Kingtober. lol.

I've only read 1 King graphic novel (Gunslinger Born), 1 novel (The Outsider), and 1 short story (Laurie) since last October, besides not finishing 11.22.63 (ugh) until late November.

I've got to start looking at my Overdrive holds and shuffling them around to try to plan to have some audiobooks borrowed in October. Because EVERYONE borrows King books in October, I've noticed. lol. I'm sure I'll end up using an Audible credit or 2 as well. I'm thinking of listening to the Bill Hodges trilogy.

This shelf is Stephen King (AND FAMILY!) books that I currently own. 95% of my books have been picked up at yard sales and library book sales over the years. I will be buying a brand new paperback of The Wind Through the Keyhole though because I don't have that one and I think I'll be getting to it in October!

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 213 comments I have the upcoming King releade on pre-order Elevation, and i'll reread Revival.

message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

August Is Azathoth wrote: "I have the upcoming King releade on pre-order Elevation, and i'll reread Revival."

Ooh it's a shorty too, perfect for the final days of October! I haven't read Revival yet.

message 5: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Aug 23, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

lol I looked at the page counts of the Dark Tower books...yeah I'll probably only read 1.5 of them! 1100+ pages between The Waste Lands and Wizard & Glass. Eep! I haven't carried around a physical book with me in years but I may come October! Was thinking of reading The Bazaar of Bad Dreams as my e-book but I may be hauling around a paperback to get as much reading done as I can! lol. Good thing Dewey's is also in October, I was super successful with their July event! I did manage over 5,500 pgs last October but that was mostly audiobooks!

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 213 comments I forgot about Bazaar, I have that too, so I'll toss it onto the Kingtober shelf.

message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Aug 24, 2018 06:35AM) (new)

I just got the e-book of Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill on Amazon for $2.99 so I may add other Kings to the mix. ;)

message 8: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1607 comments I'm on the hold list for The Outsider, so timing may or may not work out on that. I'm thinking I might add another story collection and/or finally read On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, but even if I end up getting The Outsider a bit too early or late for Kingtober, I probably won't replace it with another novel. I find I enjoy his books more if I take more time in between them.

message 9: by Drew (new)

Drew K (goodreadscomdrew_k) I'm in, I have a library hold on Elevation, maybe I'll have that in October if the people in front of me are fast readers. Anything else would have to be a re-read, and right now I'm thinking of going in the Way Back machine and pulling out Christine, Cujo, 'Salem's Lot, Carrie and one that I remember loving that nobody ever talks about, Tommyknockers.

message 10: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

If you're interested in other horror for October, NPR put together a list of the 100 best scary stories!

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/16/632779...

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 213 comments Yay! I have the two volumes of A Haunting of Horrors: A Twenty-Novel eBook Bundle of Horror and the Occult, 20 novels each, so even if not King, that'll be good October reading.:)

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

August Is Azathoth wrote: "Yay! I have the two volumes of A Haunting of Horrors: A Twenty-Novel eBook Bundle of Horror and the Occult, 20 novels each, so even if not King, that'll be good October reading.:)"

That sounds fun!

message 13: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I finished Different Seasons and read End of Watch earlier this year.

For my Halloween read, I'd like to get to Revival. I might get to something else yet, but I'm not planning to do a ton of reading for the rest of this year so we'll have to see.

message 14: by Karol (new)

Karol I've been wanting to read "The Stand" for about a million years. Might as well plan on getting started October 1! I'll see how much I like that one (and how long it takes me to get through it) to figure out if I'll read more Stephen King or not.

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Karol wrote: "I've been wanting to read "The Stand" for about a million years. Might as well plan on getting started October 1! I'll see how much I like that one (and how long it takes me to get through it) to f..."

Oh I own that one! In mass market paperback so it's HUGE. lol. Someday I'll get to the mammoth ones!

message 16: by Drew (new)

Drew K (goodreadscomdrew_k) I remember reading The Stand in paperback. It was a journey, I recall that much. Within a couple months King released the version with a couple hundred more pages that had been edited out of the original publication, and I thought to myself that even though I was curious to see what was added back in, I just couldn’t read all that again.

message 17: by Karol (new)

Karol Drew wrote: "I remember reading The Stand in paperback. It was a journey, I recall that much. Within a couple months King released the version with a couple hundred more pages that had been edited out of the original publication..."

Drew, I've got the "complete and uncut" version so I guess my journey will be a bit of a longer one. :-)

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Karol wrote: "Drew, I've got the "complete and uncut" version so I guess my journey will be a bit of a longer one. :-) ..."

I've read both of them, and while I prefer the longer one, if you aren't a huge King fan I can definitely see how it could be a bit, um, daunting, lol! I really like King's style and the way he crafts his stories, so I was happy with the uncut version.

message 19: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I've just inherited a copy of Revival so I'll be reading that for Kingtober. Not sure if I'll be reading anything else by King that month though because I've got several things going that I want to finish first.

message 20: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 23 comments If I can find my copy of Carrie, I might read that. I need a book set in the '70s for a different challenge, and I've already read The Shining. King is kind of hit or miss for me, so it's not likely I'll go on a spree. One of these days, though, I'd like to finish On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft and tackle Under the Dome, which has been sitting on my shelf for years.

message 21: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I think ‘Salem’s Lot is also set during the 70’s, in you’re interested. It’s his second novel.

message 22: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 23 comments Shelby wrote: "I think ‘Salem’s Lot is also set during the 70’s, in you’re interested. It’s his second novel."

Ah, good to know!

message 23: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Drew wrote: "I'm in, I have a library hold on Elevation, maybe I'll have that in October if the people in front of me are fast readers. Anything else would have to be a re-read, and right now I'm thinking of go..."

Tommyknockers is one of my favourites! It's got a lot of flaws but the good stuff is great enough to make up for it.

message 25: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Elyse wrote: "These are my official King reads for the whole month of October:
The Waste Lands
Wizard and Glass
The Wind Through the Keyhole
[book:Heart-Shaped Box|153025..."

That's an impressive goal! I'm probably just going to read Revival this time around. I've got a few other books I need to finish this year so I can't commit to too much more, and Revival was going to be my Halloween read this year regardless. I was considering an audiobook too, but then I remembered I found some short Edgar Allan Poe audiobooks I wanted to get to in October.

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 27, 2018 12:21PM) (new)

Well, this is fun!

https://sk.listsofbooks.com/

I own 38. Physical and e-book. Not including Audible.
I've read 17.

Hoping to increase my 'read' to at least 10 more in October!

How about you?

message 27: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Elyse wrote: "Well, this is fun!

https://sk.listsofbooks.com/

I own 38. Physical and e-book. Not including Audible.
I've read 17.

Hoping to increase my 'read' to at least 10 more in October!

How about you?"

I've read 26 of these. Own 20. Of those I own, 6 I haven't read yet. Weird how that happens.

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Shelby wrote: "I've read 26 of these. Own 20. Of those I own, 6 I haven't read yet. Weird how that happens..."

lol. Yeah, I've gotten rid of 2 that I owned and read; The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Dolores Claiborne. Then I started keeping all of them even after reading. And as of last year's Kingtober, I borrowed a lot from Overdrive. But I definitely pick up his books anytime I see them at a book sale. Now I have a handy list to bring! Since there's a book sale next weekend!

message 29: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 28, 2018 05:23AM) (new)

My Overdrive holds came in for Mr. Mercedes audio and Different Seasons e-book!! Ahhh I want to start reading and listening NOW! But I have 5 books I need to finish by Sunday night. lol

message 30: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1607 comments My library hold for The Outsider came in yesterday, so I'll be able to start that as soon as I finish my current book.

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Charleen wrote: "My library hold for The Outsider came in yesterday, so I'll be able to start that as soon as I finish my current book."

Awesome! It's such a twisty book.

message 32: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Reading The Wind Through the Keyhole A Dark Tower Novel by Stephen King for the current Deweys challenge and finally closing off The Dark Tower series. I intend to finish before the end of September.

message 33: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments 27 read now and FINALLY finished with The Dark Tower. That's two series by King I've finished this year (the other being Bill Hodges).

message 34: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 30, 2018 06:51AM) (new)

Shelby wrote: "27 read now and FINALLY finished with The Dark Tower. That's two series by King I've finished this year (the other being Bill Hodges)."

Nice! I will definitely be getting through the Bill Hodges trilogy this October and *hopefully* a good chunk through The Dark Tower. At least books 3 and 4! As long as it holds my attention. lol

message 35: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Annnnd this morning I have officially started Kingtober with Mr. Mercedes audio!

message 36: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I have also started reading Different Seasons on Libby and will be starting my paperback of The Waste Lands when I get home from work.

message 37: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I barely started Revival but I’ll probably be saving it until the Dewey’s bingo challenges are over so I can focus on those and read Revival closer to Halloween.

message 38: by Drew (new)

Drew K (goodreadscomdrew_k) Found Joyland deep on my Kindle, I’m kicking off with that.

message 39: by Carol (last edited Oct 03, 2018 06:03PM) (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments I'll read a few! Already read Cookie Jar: A Short Story . Also plan on reading Drunken Fireworks and Cycle of the Werewolf.

message 40: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Drew wrote: "Found Joyland deep on my Kindle, I’m kicking off with that."

I've got Joyland from Overdrive that I'll probably be starting tomorrow!

message 41: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Oct 04, 2018 05:14AM) (new)

Carol wrote: "I'll read a few! Already read Cookie Jar: A Short Story . Also plan on reading Drunken Fireworks and Cycle of the Werewolf."

Drunken Fireworks was pretty amusing! I liked Cookie Jar: A Short Story! I can't find Cycle of the Werewolf anywhere but I'm going to 2 book sales this weekend.

message 42: by Carol (last edited Oct 04, 2018 05:27AM) (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Elyse wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'll read a few! Already read Cookie Jar: A Short Story . Also plan on reading Drunken Fireworks and Cycle of the Werewolf."

Drunken Fireworks was pretty amusing! I l..."

Have you checked alibris.com ? Is your county library linked to the rest of the libraries in the state? That is how I will get my copy.

message 43: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Have you checked alibris.com ? Is your county library linked to the rest of the libraries in the state? That is how I will get my copy..."

No, it's not. My library is too small! lol

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3095 comments Elyse wrote: "Carol wrote: "Have you checked alibris.com ? Is your county library linked to the rest of the libraries in the state? That is how I will get my copy..."

No, it's not. My library is too small! lol"

I think we have had this conversation before....

message 45: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Elyse wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'll read a few! Already read Cookie Jar: A Short Story . Also plan on reading Drunken Fireworks and Cycle of the Werewolf."

Drunken Fireworks was pretty amusing! I l..."

Last I checked, Cycle of the Werewolf was out of print. I ended up getting my copy on eBay with a few others.

message 46: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Shelby wrote: "Last I checked, Cycle of the Werewolf was out of print. I ended up getting my copy on eBay with a few others..."

Yeah, I'm just going to keep my eye out at book sales.

message 47: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Having almost finished listening to Mr. Mercedes, I decided to find where I could see the show! Since we moved we don't have DirecTV anymore, argh. The first 2 episodes are available to watch for free and damn do they entice me!! I'm hooked and may sign up for the free week trial and binge the rest of Season 1 and all of Season 2 after they finish airing. Anyone else watched or caught up on it? Brendan Gleason is PERFECT as Bill Hodges!

https://start.att.net/exclusive/audie...

message 48: by Karol (new)

Karol I'm only reading one Stephen King book, The Stand. I saw the miniseries years and years ago . . . . would like to see that again, actually. I finally cleared away some other stuff that I had borrowed from the library, so I'll be getting started on this today.

message 49: by Drew (new)

Drew K (goodreadscomdrew_k) Finished Joyland, on to The Tommyknockers. I enjoyed Joyland and thought as I was reading this fro a second time that this would have made a better long-short story/novella. I remembered more ghost in this ghost story than there actually is.

message 50: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I finished listening to Mr. Mercedes on Friday and now I'm almost 75% through listening to Finders Keepers!

I finished reading Blockade Billy on Friday. I'm about halfway through The Body, the third story in Different Seasons. I hope to finish it tonight.

I also started The Waste Lands but I'm not very far into it at all.

« previous 1