75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2022 Chat > Labor Day Weekend Readathon 8/31-9/3!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7998 comments Mod
Labor Day Readathon from Friday, August 31, 2018 to Monday, September 3, 2018!

What are your goals?

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2018 05:47AM) (new)

I have to work till 2pm on Friday and then we're going to my in-laws Saturday to Sunday so my goals will be small!

I might be starting both of these at some point this week but I would like to read Origin and Widows. If I finish one of these before the weekend, then I want to read The Art of Escaping.

Seasons of Reading is holding a 48-Hour Readathon to kick off Castle Macabre's Something Wicked This Fall Comes event! Though I will be visiting my in-laws during that time I will try and read at least one horror story, I've just made a Collection on my Kindle and found some freebies I had gotten at some point. ;)

Here's the list:
100 Days in Deadland
Beckoning Souls
Blood Memory: Season One, Episode One
Spring
Little Terrors
The Picture Frame: A Horror Novel
Riser
Where Darkness Dwells
Roadside Ghosts: A Collection of Horror and Dark Fantasy
Modern Mythmakers: 35 Interviews with Horror & Science Fiction Writers and Filmmakers

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments I'm in and I'm going to try to finish 3 books. Not sure which 3 yet.

message 4: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (ectophine) | 48 comments Ooo this sounds fun! I have no plans Friday-Sunday, but school starts up again Monday for me, so hopefully I'll still be able to get tons of reading in!

My basic goals will just be to read The Bone Witch (The Bone Witch, #1) by Rin Chupeco The Heart Forger (The Bone Witch, #2) by Rin Chupeco The Shadowglass (The Bone Witch, #3) by Rin Chupeco , and perhaps another ARC or two :)

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori | 411 comments I'm working most of the holiday weekend. My goal will be 4 books, I have 2 that I need to read and review, and 2 that will be due back to the library.

message 6: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes | 92 comments I'm in but I will be working Friday and will be busy Saturday. I will try to finish 2 books or 3 at the most. I would probably read one of Daphne du Maurier's books either My Cousin Rachel or Jamaica Inn and maybe a Harlan Coben novel. Not sure yet.

message 7: by Ruth (last edited Aug 27, 2018 08:39AM) (new)

Ruth | 3 comments It's so easy for me to get carried away with the reading goals when faced with an entire long weekend off work. It seems like the sky's the limit. I'd like to do over 1,000 pages, but I know me. I'll get distracted. I'll nap. Someone will call with an excellent idea.

So I'll shoot for >1,000 pages and see where I get. At this point my reading mood says I will be enjoying this pile:
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells
All Systems Red by Martha Wells
Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells
Artificial Condition by Martha Wells
Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3) by Martha Wells
Rogue Protocol by Martha Wells
Murder, Handcrafted (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #5) by Isabella Alan
Murder, Handcrafted Isabella Alan
Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1) by Victoria Thompson
Murder on Astor Place Victoria Thompson
Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10) by M.C. Beaton
Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam by M.C. Beaton

message 8: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Ruth wrote: "It's so easy for me to get carried away with the reading goals when faced with an entire long weekend off work. It seems like the sky's the limit. I'd like to do over 1,000 pages, but I know me. I'..."

I would love to binge the Murderbot series! I read All Systems Red in June and it was really good! And I *absolutely* know what you mean about getting carried away with reading goals! Usually my TBR lists are HUGE because I haven pretty open weekends. lol. I controlled myself this time, knowing I won't be able to read a lot.

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 212 comments I have a ton of ARC's to review for releases Sept. 4, 6, 7, so looks like Sci Fi and Horror for me:
Salvation--Sept 4,,.
K Street Killing. Cozy. Tour. Sept 5
Sept. 6:
Barnabas Tew and the Case of the Missing Scarab. Tour.
The Mouth of the Dark
Thirteen Days By Sunset Beach
Creature
The Bad Neighbor
Sept. 7: A Season in Hell

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 8 comments Finish at least two books

message 11: by Shelby (last edited Aug 27, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Not sure how much I'd be able to get done yet. I'll probably try to finish Vicious.

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Hey well it’s not labour weekend for me but I would still love to join in. I like Ruth’s suggestion of 1000 pages so I will go with that. I have a few I would love to read including:

Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) by Jane Harper byJane Harper

The Lady of Sorrows (The Greek Detective #4) by Anne Zouroudi by Anne Zouroudi

The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald by Penelope Fitzgerald

Plus 3 hrs of audiobooks.

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie byAgatha Christie

The China Governess (Albert Campion Mystery #17) by Margery Allingham by Margery Allingham

message 13: by Karol (new)

Karol I'd like to FINALLY finish "A Series of Unfortunate Events". I only have #12 and #13 to go . . . and then I'd like to read the first book in Martha Grime's "Richard Jury" series.

message 14: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1607 comments Going to a wedding this weekend so I'm not sure what kind of reading time I'll have. If nothing else, my Monday is wide open... unless I get sucked into that whole "having a family" thing.

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4140 comments Mod
I'm working Friday and Saturday but I should be able to get some reading done for the rest of the weekend. I plan on posting my goals later in the week. I would also like to do the 1000 pages 🤓

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: " Hey well it’s not labour weekend for me but I would still love to join in. I like Ruth’s suggestion of 1000 pages so I will go with that. I have a few I would love to read including:..."

Hey Joanne, what are the Australian holidays where everyone gets the day off? I'd like to incorporate other countries' holidays into our Readathons plus it will give us excuses to have more! ;)

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:47AM) (new)

Seasons of Reading is holding a 48-Hour Readathon to kick off Castle Macabre's Something Wicked This Fall Comes event! Though I will be visiting my in-laws during that time I will try and read at least one horror story, I've just made a Collection on my Kindle and found some freebies I had gotten at some point. ;)

message 18: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:37AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 541 comments I'm in! Those are my last 4 days off before back to work! I have a pile of 20 books that I was supposed to get through this summer, and I'm only on my 7th one. (Yikes!) I should have this one at least done before Friday, and maybe another small one. I think I'll wait until the weekend is closer before picking my specific goals, but it'll generally be to get through several 2019 MYRCA nominees!

message 19: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 3 comments Elyse wrote: "I would love to binge...."

Yay! It's not just me. :) I spent the afternoon and evening yesterday dropping things into a Goodreads list I called "Labor Day 2018" -- I think I'm up to 28. Who am I kidding?????

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Ruth wrote: "Yay! It's not just me. :) I spent the afternoon and evening yesterday dropping things into a Goodreads list I called "Labor Day 2018" -- I think I'm up to 28. Who am I kidding?????..."

haha at least you've got plenty to choose from!

message 21: by Joanne (last edited Aug 28, 2018 04:15PM) (new)

Joanne Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: " Hey well it’s not labour weekend for me but I would still love to join in. I like Ruth’s suggestion of 1000 pages so I will go with that. I have a few I would love to read including..."

Well we have a labour day in October the 1st but in some states they celebrate the queens birthday that day, like in Queensland.

In NSW where I live we celebrate Queens birthday June usually first or second Monday of June.

Australia Day 26th January

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Joanne wrote: "Well we have a labour day in October the 1st but in some states they celebrate the queens birthday that day, like in Queensland.

In NSW where I live we celebrate Queens birthday June usually first or second Monday of June.

Australia Day 26th January "

How about reading a book about Australia or by an Australian author in late January?

message 23: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Well we have a labour day in October the 1st but in some states they celebrate the queens birthday that day, like in Queensland.

In NSW where I live we celebrate Queens birthday Ju..."

Yeah sounds great!

I am super excited I just received my first ever book giveaways and they happen to be two Aussie authors.

So I’m adding them to this weekends reads lol.

The Clockmaker's Daughter byKate Morton

And Cedar Valley by Holly Throsby.

👍👏👏👏👏 made my day !!!

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Joanne wrote: "Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Well we have a labour day in October the 1st but in some states they celebrate the queens birthday that day, like in Queensland.

In NSW where I live we celebrate Quee..."

Congrats on the giveaways.

Let us know how they are.

message 25: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton..."

Oooh jealous you got this one!

message 26: by Karina (new)

Karina | 922 comments I am going to shoot for three books, as two of them are library books and I want to return them before I leave for Portugal next Thursday and I already have a list of books I want to read for that!

Trainspotting by Irving Welsh

Everything That Rises Must Converge: Stories by Flannery O'Connor

Small Country by Gael Faye

message 27: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "How about reading a book about Australia or by an Australian author in late January?..."

Fabulous idea, Carol! We can either read different Australian authors/Australian setting or do a poll for a buddy read!

message 28: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I'm going to try to participate, but I'm going to be really busy because it's my birthday weekend. I don't know if I'll be able to get much reading done.

message 29: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton..."

Oooh jealous you got this one!"

Oh I have started lol it’s fabulous. I hope I can get a lot read now. I forgot I’m out of the city for the whole day Saturday.

message 30: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Well, it looks like I won't be starting either book I *thought* I would before the weekend because I'm determined to clear my Comixology queue! I've got 4 left! But I really do need to finish reading American Street by tomorrow.

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "I'm going to try to participate, but I'm going to be really busy because it's my birthday weekend. I don't know if I'll be able to get much reading done."

Happy early birthday, Kayla!

message 33: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Friday 7.44am

Read 68 pages The Clockmaker's Daughter

message 34: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3092 comments Carol wrote: "I'm in and I'm going to try to finish 3 books. Not sure which 3 yet."

Here is what I hope to finish:

1. The Case of the Defunct Adjunct (Professor Molly Mysteries 0) by Frankie Bow
2. Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4) by David Baldacci
3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

message 35: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Joanne wrote: "Friday 7.44am

Read 68 pages The Clockmaker's Daughter"

4pm Friday

150 pages clock makers daughter. I hope it gets better, started well.

Page 156 Force of Nature.

message 36: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I haven't finished American Street yet, I'm about halfway through. So that's my first goal today.

Then I want to finish Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening.

Both of these will be completed by tonight! :)

I'm about halfway through listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and I'm hoping my husband will let us to listen to it on our 2.5 hour drive tomorrow and back on Sunday!

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I didn't know/realize that August was "ARC August" and I ended up reading 12 ARCs anyway! :)

message 38: by Karina (new)

Karina | 922 comments I am working today but I started Small Country and attempted to read Trainspotting but quickly switched to the Audible version because I am not going through another A Clockwork Orange hurting my head trying to understand what they are saying. I am better at listening to accents rather than reading them.

message 39: by ❤Marie (new)

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 99 comments I will start after work today. Here are the three I need to get through:
1. The Vineyard by Michael Hurly - won the kindle version from Goodreads
2. Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier - won the hard cover from Goodreads
3. Beaches by Iris Rainer Dart - kindle from library. I love the movie with Bette Midler and I've been wanting to read the book for a long time. I was going to do audio but reviews on Audible said it was poor quality.

And, IF I can finish these three then I will tackle some of my audiobooks from the library that are piling up.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 541 comments OK, I finished the big book I was reading late last night, so now I know what my read-a-thon pile is!

1. Brave by Svetlana Chmakova (graphic novel, 240 pages)
2. Sit by Deborah Ellis (short stories, 139 pages)
3. The Stone Heart by Faith Erin Hicks (graphic novel, 243 pages)
4. Run by David Skuy (novel, 207 pages)

And if I get through those quickly, I still have another 9 MYRCA nominees that I should have read by now, so I won't run out of material!

message 41: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "I'm going to try to participate, but I'm going to be really busy because it's my birthday weekend. I don't know if I'll be able to get much reading done."

Wishing you a very happy birthday, Kayla!!

message 42: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I’m gonna try getting through Ironside as well as Vicious I think.

message 43: by Andrea, Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 12:33PM) (new)

I've got a whole bunch of books I want to get through!

*Need to finish Save Me by Lisa Scottoline - audio book with 4.5 hours left

*Finish The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot - ebook with 392 pages ( I think I'm 25 pages into it)

*Finish Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell - ebook with 320 pages (I think I have about 100 pages to go)

*Finish Holding up the Universe by Jennifer Niven - ebook with 391 pages ( I have 280 pages to go)

*Read Fitness Junkie by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza - ebook with 300 pages

*Start Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry - audio book 16.5 hours

*Start Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - audio book 21.75 hours

I will never be able to finish all of these but some I just want to start and finish over the next week. My goal is just to finish a total of 5 out of the 7 books.

message 44: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments Andrea wrote: "Kayla wrote: "I'm going to try to participate, but I'm going to be really busy because it's my birthday weekend. I don't know if I'll be able to get much reading done."

Wishing you a very happy bi..."

Thank you!

message 45: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments Elyse wrote: "Kayla wrote: "I'm going to try to participate, but I'm going to be really busy because it's my birthday weekend. I don't know if I'll be able to get much reading done."

Happy early birthday, Kayla!"

Thank you!

message 46: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I haven't read much today. About half of 僕のヒーローアカデミア 7 Boku No Hero Academia 7 (My Hero Academia, #7) by Kohei Horikoshi , and 20 pages of Drum Roll, Please by Lisa Jenn Bigelow . I am loving Drum Roll, Please though. It's so cute.

message 47: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Finally home after running errands after work and ready to just relax and read! Hubs has friends over so I won't be bothered. lol. Time to finish American Street!

message 48: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Finished American Street, now time to finish Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening!

message 49: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I've gotten 2 hours of Ancient Civilizations of North America by Edwin Barnhart (my current commute book) done today, and am settling down with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling (just started the second chapter). I don't have specific goals this weekend beyond reading whatever comes to hand, drinking pots of tea, and moving just enough that no one thinks I'm dead!

message 50: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Got a few hours done in the audiobook of Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3) by Holly Black

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.