The Sword and Laser discussion

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
This topic is about Altered Carbon
2014 Reads > AC: TV Show vs Book.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by César (new)

César Romo Castro | 3 comments So Netflix managed to adapt this book on to a TV Show and they released it on early 2018. How do you feel the book compared to the show? Which one is better? I watched the TV show and if it has something that was cool is certainly the special effects, certainly it can take you to that kinda Blade Runner cyberpunk futuristic world when technology has come to a state so advanced you can be inmortal. Does the book goes deeper to explore the subject of inmortality and sleeves? Is the TV show a summary of the Book?

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 837 comments You may want to edit the thread title to include “Altered Carbon”. I loved the show so much that I listened to the whole trilogy on audiobook. The books are great too, especially the 2nd one!

Trike | 8946 comments We did a bit of discussion of book v. series over in the TV Movies Games thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by César (new)

César Romo Castro | 3 comments Ian wrote: "You may want to edit the thread title to include “Altered Carbon”. I loved the show so much that I listened to the whole trilogy on audiobook. The books are great too, especially the 2nd one!"

Thank you for the observation. I will look for the physical books on my local bookshop. Hope I can find them because here in Mexico we have some trouble finding the books. It is sad that few people read Science-fiction here.

message 5: by César (new)

César Romo Castro | 3 comments Trike wrote: "We did a bit of discussion of book v. series over in the TV Movies Games thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Thank you very much Trike! I'm going to check it out.

message 6: by Daniil (new)

Daniil Kapov | 1 comments Not sure if I understood well the concept. Actually, I do think that books are always better than TV shows, as I have exposed once on my personal blog (https://www.yami.eu). Just take the Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, the Kingdom of the North, and so much more....

message 7: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4266 comments Calling Mr. Thread. Mr. Frank N. Thread...

Anyhoo, as for TV shows, I would agree. But then I'm a book lover so I'm likely to feel that way.

Broadening the category to filmed entertainment, I would say that 2001 is a better movie than book. In order to get to this particular situation we had to have the best director of his day deliberately trying to create a SF classic, working with one of the top SF authors of the day. And the SF author was frozen out during the final prep and completed the book as he saw fit. So the absolute best of film vs a highly skilled author who wrote essentially the novelization of his work without input from the film director. That's what it takes to have a better movie than book.