Audiobooks discussion

Technical stuff > MP3 player for Overdrive audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice Paine | 6 comments Overdrive suggested SanDisk as a source for transferring downloaded books but after buying SanDisk Clip Sport, and spending hours transferring a book, it said it did not support audiobooks , only Audible. What MP3 does support Overdrive audiobooks?

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 97 comments I have a two SanDisk MP3 players and I use them both for Overdrive books and the latest one I purchased was a Clip Sport just last year.

How are you transferring your books? The way I do it is to download them via Overdrive, then find the file saved on my computer and drag and drop the file into my Sandisk file folder titled "audiobooks". It should only take a couple of minutes to transfer from the computer to the MP3 player.

message 3: by Karen (last edited Aug 22, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

Karen (rhyta) | 155 comments I use Overdrive's software, downloaded on my computer (Windows version) to transfer the audiobook. Once the audiobook is finished downloading, then I can tell it to transfer the audiobook to the MP3 player. I use a Creative Zen MP3 player to play Overdrive and Audible audiobooks. It is an older player that has been discontinued but there are some available on ebay (which is where I got mine 7 years ago).

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice Paine | 6 comments Thanks for replying, Linda

That is exactly the way I transferred the books and when I have the SanDisk connected to my computer, they show up on my audiobooks folder in the F drive but when I disconnect the San disk from my computer, they do not show up on the device. I admit I am new at all this but there was a notice on the San disk that said "does not support this format" but I haven't been able to get it again.

message 5: by Jan (last edited Aug 22, 2018 04:24PM) (new)

Jan | 475 comments Overdrive books often show up in the music folder on my Sansas when I transfer directly from Overdrive. So be sure you are checking there. I have to manually move them when I have it connected to my computer if I want them in the audiobook folder.

I have 4 Sansa's (none a sport) that I use for both Audible and Overdrive without a hitch.

message 6: by Linda (last edited Aug 22, 2018 04:40PM) (new)

Linda | 97 comments Alice wrote: "That is exactly the way I transferred the books and when I have the SanDisk connected to my computer, they show up on my audiobooks folder in the F drive but when I disconnect the San disk from my computer, they do not show up on the device."

When you drag and drop the file from your computer to the SanDisk audiobook folder, does a window pop up on your computer that shows each part is getting transferred? And then when you disconnect your SanDisk from the computer, does it show on the SanDisk screen that it is "refreshing media"? I'm not very computer savvy and usually have to fiddle around with stuff before figuring it out, but I'm just wondering if those two things are occurring?

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 97 comments I would check out Jan's advice too. I've had that happen when using RBdigital audiobooks.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda | 97 comments Alice, are you saving your file to an SD card instead of the internal memory on the player? I found this thread describing a similar error and it was solved by reformatting the card (or saving the file to the internal memory instead).

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-...

message 9: by Alice (new)

Alice Paine | 6 comments Jan wrote: "Overdrive books often show up in the music folder on my Sansas when I transfer directly from Overdrive. So be sure you are checking there. I have to manually move them when I have it connected to m..."

message 10: by Alice (new)

Alice Paine | 6 comments Jan wrote: "Overdrive books often show up in the music folder on my Sansas when I transfer directly from Overdrive. So be sure you are checking there. I have to manually move them when I have it connected to m..."

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice Paine | 6 comments Wow-thanks for your suggestion-they are in my music folder! I was able to move them back to the audio folder but don't know how I can prevent it in the future. both the books were in there-one I had transferred using drag and drop and one using the overdrive transfer method. This is my first experience with MP3 players and I can see it is going to be a learning experience. This is also my first experience with a discussion forum and I'm so glad I tried it. I was just about getting ready to throw the SanDisk in the trash so thanks again!

message 12: by Jan (new)

Jan | 475 comments I'm so glad you found them Alice! I'm not sure if there is a way to make Overdrive put them in the audiobook folder but it's easy enough to move them.

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda | 97 comments Alice wrote: "Wow-thanks for your suggestion-they are in my music folder!"

Yay! That's great you figured it out, Alice!

When you drag and drop, did you just drop into the SanDisk folder and then it automatically put it in the music subfolder? Just curious. I always open the appropriate subfolder and drop it there and it always stays there.

message 14: by Alice (new)

Alice Paine | 6 comments I hate to say it but I can't remember exactly how I did it but will be sure next time that they go into the audiobooks subfolder.

thanks again to you and Jan for your help.