Play Book Tag discussion

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (George Smiley, #5; Karla Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
August 2018: Espionage > Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy by John Le Carre, 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mindy aka serenity | 120 comments Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre
3 stars

Let me preface by saying that spy novels are not really my thing. I love a good intricate story but put it in the setting of the Cold War or WWII (which most spy novels are) and my interest level tanks. Nevertheless I gave this book a shot because it was on the 1001 books list.

The book follows an ousted ex-spy named George Smiley, who was removed from the British spy circuit because a big shakeup in power. But now there are some loose ends and something is not quite right with how the shakeup happened. All they have is George to try and connect the dots and piece together frayed edges of events that happened decades before. There are inquests, double agents, Russians, proper British agents, more Russians, , wire tapping, file stealing, and even more Russians. Truly if this is your thing, then this novel is the classic you are looking for. I'm glad I tried it, but spy novels are still not my thing.

Karin | 7472 comments I doubt you'd like them because they are spy novels, long and complicated to boot, but Robert Ludlum's 3 Bourne books were set in contemporary times when he wrote them (was it the 80s? 90s? I no longer remember). I used to really enjoy them, but not so much anymore.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review even if you don't like this genre. This is whats so great about books...so many to chose from!! I have definitely read some books I would have never read since being in this group.

message 4: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Spy novels are definitely not my thing either but I've enjoyed this month more then I expected to. I think because I tried to pick things outside what I usually think of as the typical spy era and setting. Right now I'm reading two historical fiction both young adult, Mara, Daughter of the Nile set in ancient Egypt and Flame in the Mist set in Japan.