What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 90s or early 2000s adult fiction, set in UK. Old man looks back on his life, buys medical marijuana from a younger man

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 23, 2018 01:42AM) (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments A book I read in the late 1990s or early 2000s, it was contemporary at the time.

The story was about an old man looking back on his life. I think some chapters were old diary entries or flashbacks. He reminisced about sleeping with a woman (maybe for the first time), and may have been involved in a war.

He also bought marijuana to help with his aches and pains. He got it from a young man who may have been his grandson or just an acquaintance. I think they became friends and discussed the old man's life. Not sure if the old man died at the end of the book.

The other thing I remember is that I associate this book with the colour blue for some reason. Either the cover was blue, or it had blue in the title. I think the cover had an illustration of an empty room.

Pretty sure it was a female author and not part of a series. The genre was just general fiction. It was set in the UK. Any help appreciated.

Edit: it's possible this book was by the same author as another unsolved book I have on here. I definitely read them around the same time. Link to my post about the other book: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Sep 27, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments bump

I think part of the storyline may have been that the old man died partway through the book, and the younger man was reading the diaries he left behind and learning about his life.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36613 comments Mod
Rachel, can you tell us more about the elderly man - where does he live and with whom (e.g., nursing home), married/divorced/widower/single, any children, jobs/skills, hobbies/interests, etc.?

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Hi Kris. Most of what I remember is in the first post tbh. I think the elderly man lived in his own home and was widowed - some of the diary entries were about his late wife. Not sure if they had children - the younger man may have been his grandson, but I'm not 100% on that.

Jobs/hobbies etc I have absolutely no memory of, sorry!

message 6: by Rachel (new)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments old man's diary bump

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments old man and his memories bump

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments old man looks back on life bump

message 10: by Rachel (new)

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments old man life story bump

message 12: by Rachel (new)

If I remember the cover correctly, it was cream coloured with a kind of sketchy line drawing of a bedroom, maybe with an unmade bed.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36613 comments Mod
A shot in the dark - Any Human Heart by William Boyd?

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks for the suggestion, but this isn't the book I'm looking for.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

message 17: by Rachel (new)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

message 19: by Rachel (new)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Any Human Heart (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic