Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Little Prince: 1 Star

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

je n'ai pas compris l'histoire ni le but de ce livre

I did not understand the story nor the point of this book

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8352 comments Oh no! It is a story of loss, love, loneliness, friendship and loyalty from the POV of a small prince who visits earth. It also draws on memories of Saint-Exupery from time he spent in the Sahara Desert during WWII.

It's in a way an allegory, reflecting the authors views on human nature and life.

The key to understanding Le Petit Prince is the character of the Fox, and his moral statements. This is one of the most central ones:
"Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
"It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Look at the actions of Le Petit Prince in light of the Fox's pronouncements and I think you will understand better.

I always thought the story had a dream-like quality, as if this were some hallucination of the pilot who is Saint-Exupery's alter-ego.

message 3: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I haven't read this one in years because every time I do I cry like a baby.

It certainly has a dream-like, fairy-tale quality-- almost nothing is to be taken literally.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7465 comments Kimberly wrote: "The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

je n'ai pas compris l'histoire ni le but de ce livre

I did not understand the story nor the point of this book"

Don't worry. I understand the point of this book and have never liked it.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6391 comments And the opera is fantastic!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9343 comments This little ditty has always been a favorite of mine. But I completely understand it not being everyone's cup of tea. I often joke that I am usually the one who comes in under the rave. That its not about not getting the point or not appreciating the intent, its just not a personal choice. Some of us appreciate the same lessons in a different form or even art form. I will add this though. There is a chapter I use from the The Little Prince to teach an aspect of therapy. I pass it out in my classes. Its the part of the book where the Little Prince Meets the Fox. For me, this chapter was the entire book. I'm not sure if without it, the book would have had the same impact. But I love that this group's premise is to have us explore genre's outside our comfort zone and fall in love with something. Or pick up something you wouldn't have. I am admittedly narrow in interest and taste, and this group has opened worlds to me I wouldn't have tried. Plus, now I pretty much read only 4 and 5 star reads these days. Who can beat that? Whoever thought I would vote for dark fantasy? Because there were some things on my TBR that I wanted to try, and because it was "different" and would shake up my usual list. This is the Power of PBT and I am definitely drinking its wine.

There is an opera of this?

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Amy wrote: "This little ditty has always been a favorite of mine. But I completely understand it not being everyone's cup of tea. I often joke that I am usually the one who comes in under the rave. That its no..."

I had it in French, but didn't understand most of it, so when I saw it in English, in the booksale, I figured: "Might as well".

It bored me.

message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2317 comments Oh thank goodness someone else besides me did not like or 'get' this book!

message 9: by Kimberly (last edited Aug 23, 2018 09:24AM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Ellen wrote: "Oh thank goodness someone else besides me did not like or 'get' this book!"

Yea!

message 10: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments wow, that's sad.

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Nicole D. wrote: "wow, that's sad."

No it's not..... If I don't like something, I don't like it: There are too many books out there that I ♥...

"Matilda Who Told Such Dreadful Lies and Burned to Death"
Matilda Who Told Such Dreadful Lies . . . . by Hilaire Belloc

message 12: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments I always enjoy when people disagree about books rather than being part of a general echo chamber - it’s always interesting to see why the other person has liked or disliked a work. The lovely thing about this group is that we disagree so very nicely!

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9343 comments As long as we stay away from politics and religion - lol. A little bit true though I think.

message 14: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8352 comments Amy wrote: "There is an opera of this? ..."

Yes, 2 acts, composer Rachel Portman, libretto by Nicholas Wright, first performed in 2003 by Houston Grand Opera. It has been performed several times since and the BBC filmed a version of it. There are several movies, one pretty recently.

I actually know the attorney who negotiated the licensing rights to write and perform the opera based on the book which is still copyright protected and managed by Saint-Exupery's Estate. The estate kept saying 'no', meanwhile, as it was specifically and specially commissioned in someone's memory, work continued even without the license. The copyright and licensing was all under the control of Madame ?, the 90+ year old guardian of the rights. He finally had to fly to Paris (from NYC) and camp on her doorstep until she would talk to him and they worked out a licensing deal. As he always tells me, never take 'no' when seeking use permission.

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Theresa wrote: "Amy wrote: "There is an opera of this? ..."

Yes, 2 acts, composer Rachel Portman, libretto by Nicholas Wright, first performed in 2003 by Houston Grand Opera. It has been performed several times ..."

Did he learn that from Uncle Walt & P.T. Travers (Mary Poppins)?

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8352 comments Kimberly wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Amy wrote: "There is an opera of this? ..."

Yes, 2 acts, composer Rachel Portman, libretto by Nicholas Wright, first performed in 2003 by Houston Grand Opera. It has been performe..."

ROFL! He's Irish and stubborn. I thus think it comes to him naturally. Plus he's a francophile and just loved having to travel to Paris --- and be paid to do so!

message 17: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2667 comments What a brilliant story, Theresa! Well done that lawyer!

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8352 comments KateNZ wrote: "What a brilliant story, Theresa! Well done that lawyer!"

I juat remembered the name of the 90 yr old - Madame Sophie! I also think the fact he could speak relatively fluent french impressed Madame Sophie sufficiently to finally accede.

message 19: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5156 comments I have seen the musical, but didn't know about the opera! I liked this book but didn't love it. I do love the songs in the musical, though! Gene Wilder as the fox looked pretty funny but he was poignant and sweet. Bob Fosse was perfect as the snake.

message 20: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7465 comments KateNZ wrote: "I always enjoy when people disagree about books rather than being part of a general echo chamber - it’s always interesting to see why the other person has liked or disliked a work. The lovely thing..."

Precisely. There is No Such Thing as a Book Loved by All.

message 21: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7465 comments There is both an opera and a musical.

The entire opera is on Youtube, but I haven't watched this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZW2j...

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Karin wrote: "There is both an opera and a musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZW2j..."

Thanks.... but, um....

message 23: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7465 comments Kimberly wrote: "Karin wrote: "There is both an opera and a musical.

Thanks.... but, um...."

This link isn't for you or me, but for those who love the book.

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Karin wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Karin wrote: "There is both an opera and a musical.

Thanks.... but, um....."

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.... Good to know! ;)

message 25: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I also was not a fan. I felt my 3 stars was very "forgiving" given it is such a favorite.

message 26: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Interesting cross reference, went to see Crazy Rich Asians this weekend and this is the book that Astrid reads to Cassian one night. Probably wouldn't have paid attention except for this thread recently.