What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci fi parallel worlds teenage boy who found out he can travel to parallel worlds. He may have been able to travel by a hidden door in his bedroom.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kt (new)

Kt | 4 comments I read this book in the late 70s or early 80s. It was about a teenage boy who found out he can travel to parallel worlds. He may have been able to travel by a hidden door in his bedroom. It had an impact on me, but cant remember any details. Would love to find the name of the book so i can reread it.

message 2: by Trilobyte (new)

Trilobyte | 159 comments This one perhaps? Written 1985 Children of the Light

message 3: by Kt (new)

Kt | 4 comments Thanks, but it isn't the book I am looking for. From what I remember he lives with a relative in an apartment building.

message 4: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 193 comments Steven Gould's Wildside? It came out in '96, so it may be too late for your book.

message 5: by Kt (new)

Kt | 4 comments Gillian wrote: "Steven Gould's Wildside? It came out in '96, so it may be too late for your book."

I read it in middle school so that would be too late.

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon Gabrielson | 3 comments I also came here looking for this book.

What I remember is that he could go thru a magic door
in his bedroom but he didn't realize that this wasn't normal.

He also had an evil uncle that discovered his gift and tried
to exploit it.

I remember it as more fantasy/magic and less sci-fi.

Sorry, don't remember more.

I also remember something about a classroom
and everything he says coming true and the
danger of saying something like 1+1=3 but that
may or may not be the same book.

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Aug 31, 2019 08:22AM) (new)

Sarah Holland | 130 comments Parts of the description by Jon reminds me of The Lives of Christopher Chant. When Christopher goes to sleep:
"He thought everyone had the kind of dreams he had, too. He did not think they were worth mentioning. The dreams always began the same way. Christopher got out of bed and walked around the corner of the night nursery wall—the part with the fireplace, which jutted out—onto a rocky path high on the side of a valley."

The evil uncle exploiting his gift appears. Do you remember anything about dragon blood, or mermaids?

Another book in the same series is Witch Week, which has this section, after a student has cast a spell that makes everything another student says come true:
Chrestomanci seemed more puzzled than ever. “Not important? My dear boy, what is so unimportant about a spell that could break the world up? You may know better, of course, but my impression is that Simon could easily have chanced to say something very silly, like—say—‘Two and two are five.’ If he had, everything to do with numbers would have fallen apart at once. And since everything can be counted, everything would have come apart—the earth, the sun in the sky, the cells in bodies, anything else you can think of. No doubt you have a mind above such things, but I can’t help finding that quite important myself.”

message 8: by Kt (new)

Kt | 4 comments Neither of those are correct from the descriptions I read. Thank you for trying to help. The book would most likely have been written in the late 70s or earlier.

message 9: by Jon (last edited Sep 23, 2019 07:44PM) (new)

Jon Gabrielson | 3 comments Sarah:
Wow, Those titles don’t sound familiar at all nor did I realize it was a series but those scenes are spot on. I almost didn’t mention the second part because it felt like it was almost a different book and apparently it actually was a different book albeit in the same universe. Thanks.

KT:
Sorry this isn’t the book you were looking for. Good luck on your search.