the writing spot discussion

writings > introduce your WIP

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Breanne (last edited Aug 21, 2018 07:15PM) (new)

Breanne (breegreen_books) | 37 comments Mod
This topic is for anyone writing any time of prose! It does not have to be a novel!

**Don't share too much if you are uncomfortable with the idea or it's still too fresh to share

message 2: by Breanne (new)

I'll start: I am writing a YA contemporary that focuses on finding yourself and battling mental illness! I have been writing it for 10 months now and I am still on the first draft!

message 3: by Gray (new)

Gray Cox | 4 comments I'm currently writing a YA contemporary that is in the first person and in split POVs. It's about mental illnesses and overcoming your greatest fears.

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) I'm writing a YA high tech fantasy that I like to describe as Divergent meets Avatar: The Last Airbender that is dual narrated between a guy and a girl with a platonic relationship

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 99 comments Mod
I'm writing a ghost story in the third person. Seeing as if you will. I'm only typing the story while my charter is dictating it to me. I'm not really sure where it's headed yet but it's interesting.

My other is about a princess that comes into herself when she gets sucked into our world from her own and then must go back to safe her kingdom.

message 6: by Breanne (new)

Cassie 'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood wrote: "I'm writing a ghost story in the third person. Seeing as if you will. I'm only typing the story while my charter is dictating it to me. I'm not really sure where it's headed yet but it's interestin..."

that princess story sounds so awesome!!!

message 7: by Breanne (new)

Gray wrote: "I'm currently writing a YA contemporary that is in the first person and in split POVs. It's about mental illnesses and overcoming your greatest fears."

awesome!!!

message 8: by Breanne (new)

Frank wrote: "I'm writing a YA high tech fantasy that I like to describe as Divergent meets Avatar: The Last Airbender that is dual narrated between a guy and a girl with a platonic relationship"

ok wow that sounds so amazing!!! two of my favorite things in one=D

message 9: by Mylien (new)

Mylien Lai | 153 comments Mod
SHINE wrote: "SHINE wrote: "For mine WIP writing, it's based off from MANY STORY DREAMS (and well, other dreams from my favorite movies). I've managed to narrowed them down to make them mysterious and slightly d..."

That's fine! You can explain what the book is about without revealing spoilers or anything on your own time! Good luck with your re-edits!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica C Writes (jessicacwrites) Hey everyone! I'm currently writing a YA contemporary about falling in love, overcoming MI, and finding yourself! It's only a few chapters in, but I am super excited about it.

message 11: by Mylien (new)

Jessica wrote: "Hey everyone! I'm currently writing a YA contemporary about falling in love, overcoming MI, and finding yourself! It's only a few chapters in, but I am super excited about it."

Good luck with your writing progress! Your book sounds pretty interesting.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2018 06:56AM) (new)

Frank wrote: "I'm writing a YA high tech fantasy that I like to describe as Divergent meets Avatar: The Last Airbender that is dual narrated between a guy and a girl with a platonic relationship"

Wow! This story already sounds awesome by the description! Hope to get to read it soon once it’s published :P

P.S. I used to be a massive Last Airbender fan as a kid :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m currently writing a YA fantasy book thats sort of inspired by 1001 nights because basically Aladdin was my movie as a kid lol. Plus my little sister wanted me to write a princess story so its the story is also for her :)

On chapter 3 at the moment and hitting a writers block but hopefully it’ll pass soon! 😬

message 14: by TeaAndBooks (new)

TeaAndBooks (teaandbooks1998) | 1 comments I’m trying to write one of my many story plans- I have so many stories planned out that I never get round to writing 😂

message 15: by Breanne (new)

TeaAndBooks wrote: "I’m trying to write one of my many story plans- I have so many stories planned out that I never get round to writing 😂"

i say just pick one up and see how it goes!! you don't have to write it everyday but as long as you have a chapter down, you'll get into the habit of writing! i hope it all goes well!

message 16: by Breanne (new)

Uzma wrote: "I’m currently writing a YA fantasy book thats sort of inspired by 1001 nights because basically Aladdin was my movie as a kid lol. Plus my little sister wanted me to write a princess story so its t..."

that sounds interesting and you're so sweet to want to do this for your sister! i'm sure it will pass. I always try to write a chapter or small snippets of dialogue when i have writers block. it doesn't even always go with my last chapter or scene, i just write something to get me thinking about my book! hope this helps and good luck!

message 17: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 3 comments Hey! I'm working on a P&P re-telling ....I might scrap it because I'm anticipating a lot of backlash lol.

I'm also working on a mature teen fantasy/romance. It's actually finished - just saving for an editor.

message 18: by Mylien (new)

R.J. wrote: "Hey! I'm working on a P&P re-telling ....I might scrap it because I'm anticipating a lot of backlash lol.

I'm also working on a mature teen fantasy/romance. It's actually finished - just saving fo..."

Good luck on getting an editor!!

message 19: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 3 comments Bichlien wrote: "R.J. wrote: "Hey! I'm working on a P&P re-telling ....I might scrap it because I'm anticipating a lot of backlash lol.

I'm also working on a mature teen fantasy/romance. It's actually finished - j..."

Thanks!

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments Hi everyone,

My name is Katie Gezi, an editor for The Coil Literary Magazine. We're currently seeking essays on the last thing you truly loved, something you felt so passionate about when you found out about it, heard it, tried it, tasted it, read it, saw it, revisited it, that you just had to tell everyone. I'm posting to this group because there are quite a number of passionate writers, and I think everyone deserves a chance to flex their writing muscles.

https://medium.com/the-coil/tagged/th...

Minimum of 600 words and one photo; no maximum. Send pitches, queries, abstracts, questions, or materials to lastthing@thecoilmag.com. Thanks for reading!

-Katie

message 21: by Mylien (new)

Katie wrote: "Hi everyone,

My name is Katie Gezi, an editor for The Coil Literary Magazine. We're currently seeking essays on the last thing you truly loved, something you felt so passionate about when you foun..."

Thank you for contributing an opportunity to this group!

message 22: by A. Zaykova (new)

A. Zaykova  (azaykova) | 19 comments Hi all!
I'm 2-thirds into my first novel. It's a space-opera adventure/romance.
It's kind of YA-ish, but I feel like it's not really appropriate for teens, and also the characters are a bit older... but I'm having so much fun with it!

message 23: by Mylien (new)

Alla wrote: "Hi all!
It's kind of YA-ish, but I feel like it's not really appropriate for teens, and also the characters are a bit older..."

Good luck on finishing your novel!!

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Alla wrote: "Hi all!
It's kind of YA-ish, but I feel like it's not really appropriate for teens, and also the characters are a bit older..."

Sounds like what you have is New Adult, which we need more of

message 25: by A. Zaykova (new)

A. Zaykova  (azaykova) | 19 comments Bichlien wrote: "Good luck on finishing your novel!!"

Thanks!

Frank wrote: "Sounds like what you have is New Adult, which we need more of "

I had to google that, but YES, New Adult is exactly what it is!

According to Wikipedia: "new-adult fiction, is a developing genre of fiction with protagonists in the 18–30 age bracket. New adult fiction tends to focus on issues such as leaving home, developing sexuality, and negotiating education and career choices." -- fits exactly all of those themes. In space.

Thanks for helping to categorise it :)

message 26: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Your book sounds amazing and creative!

message 27: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I agree with Frank. We need more NA books, especially fiction!

message 28: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Hey, Uzma! I love the idea of an Aladdin inspired book! Aladdin is still one of my favourite disney movies!!

message 29: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I am thinking about writing a story inspired by my favourite Broadway musical (Newsies). It's about the first girl newsie and her struggles as she tried to fit in with the ruff and tumble boys!

message 30: by JINKO?! (new)

JINKO?! (jinkoop) Greeting everyone!

I have been working on my book, ‘Ditty’s Lane’, for at least two years now.

I haven’t wrote anything yet, but I’ve been developing ideas, and I’m rather unsure about my writing abilities.

I began with first person POV, but I’m much better with third person POV anyway.

My book is a romance novel about two teens who are survivors of attempted suicide.

If anyone is interested in being an editor or beta reader, or just curious about my story, here’s my recently made group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/invit....

message 31: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Is this the first book you've ever written?

message 32: by JINKO?! (new)

JINKO?! (jinkoop) Karsyn wrote: "Is this the first book you've ever written?"

Yes, but I always write drabbles, poems, and short stories.

message 33: by Mylien (new)

Gucci Monster wrote: "Karsyn wrote: "Is this the first book you've ever written?"

Yes, but I always write drabbles, poems, and short stories."

What are they usually about?

message 34: by JINKO?! (last edited Sep 29, 2018 04:18PM) (new)

JINKO?! (jinkoop) Bichlien wrote: "Gucci Monster wrote: "Karsyn wrote: "Is this the first book you've ever written?"

Yes, but I always write drabbles, poems, and short stories."

What are they usually about?"

Hmm, usually romance and unrequited love? I don’t usually put named characters into my work, it’s kinda left up to the reader to imagine what they want.

For instance, this is a drabble I wrote, it’s free form and it’s based around a person who is born on October. I also left it gender-free.

It’s about someone suffering from Hanahaki Disease, which is a trope where someone throws up flowers and petals from one-sided love.

Drabble:

“A heart thumps with love.

Dear marigold, my lovely tagetes.

It beats with love.

My beloved opal, my precious stone.

It races with love.

My darling libra, my constellation in the sky.

It pounds with love.

Our hands never meet, our lips never touch, our voices never reach.

It aches with love.

The flowers that grow in my lungs; they spill from my mouth, right into my hands.

It yearns for love.

All kinds of flowers, but no marigolds.

It weeps for love.

I can’t find any opals in my garden; i can no longer see any libras in the sky.

It shrivels up from this love.

But i keep searching in vain; hoping maybe one day i would find you.

It barely works without love.

My heart only calls for you, my marigold.

It stutters without love.

My heart only flutters for you, my opal.

It finally stops without love.

My heart only ends because of you, my libra.

It is just a dead heart because of love.

All because of you."

message 35: by JINKO?! (new)

JINKO?! (jinkoop) SHINE wrote: "It just so happens I'm an Oct baby. Libra and Opal."

What a coincidence!

message 36: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Wow Gucci that is beautifully written!!

message 37: by JINKO?! (last edited Sep 29, 2018 04:31PM) (new)

JINKO?! (jinkoop) Karsyn wrote: "Wow Gucci that is beautifully written!!"

Thanks! I was upset and brooding while I wrote this, plus sad music didn’t help lol.

message 38: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I know what you mean. I wrote a full page of my book while crying and listening to NF. I read it the next day and got goosebumps!😝

message 39: by JINKO?! (new)

JINKO?! (jinkoop) Karsyn wrote: "I know what you mean. I wrote a full page of my book while crying and listening to NF. I read it the next day and got goosebumps!😝"

What’s NF? If you don’t mind me asking.

message 40: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I also write songs for my book commercials!

message 41: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Shine wrote:"I write songs for my stories! "
That is so awsome!! Do you sing to, or just write the songs?

message 42: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Same here! Also what music genres are your favourites?

message 43: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I like jazz,rap,songs from the 40's,and acoustic /catchy pop Christian music! Also musicals.

message 44: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Cool! Yeah I forgot to add clean Country to the list.

message 45: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments GREAT!!!

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Well I finally created an over few of my world's history and I'm beginning to settle on my magic system so it's coming along great

message 47: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments That is so cool Frank!!

message 48: by JINKO?! (new)

JINKO?! (jinkoop) SHINE wrote: "How's everyone's writings coming along?"

I haven’t even wrote a word :\

message 49: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I am starting to write the first chapter! But I'm using Microsoft's Word, and I have trouble using it. What do y'all use when writing?

message 50: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Thanks!!

« previous 1