Clean Reads discussion

Uplifting Genocide Books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (whitepicketfence) | 100 comments The topic title is ironic...I know. However, I am looking for suggestions of books to educate my young teen children on the Rwandan genocide and am hoping to find something that doesn't focus on the graphic violence but on rising above the most miserable circumstances. Something akin to what The Hiding Place and Man's Search for Meaning do to educate us about the Holocaust without dragging us through the mire. Suggestions for other historical books about dark times that are written carefully, with "light" as the focus, would also be appreciated.

message 2: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (rbyrd6) Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (whitepicketfence) | 100 comments Robyn wrote: "Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza"

Thank you for the suggestion Robyn. This looks exactly like the kind of book I am looking for. It also has great reviews. Can you tell me how graphic it is?

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 2 comments Not exactly genocide but perfect for YAs and set in the Ravensbrück concentration camp during WWII. See my review of Elizabeth Wein's Rose Under Fire.