What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > Looking for Sci-Fi/Fantasy - detailed survival, some romance, maybe some world building

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments Maybe Yvonne Navarro's Final Impact and Red Shadows? They are connected, even though it doesn't list it on here. Earth, not alien, but dystopian. I don't remember a lot about them, it has been a very long time since I read them, but I am pretty sure they would meet your criteria.

message 2: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments Also, Robert R. McCammon's Swan Song. Again, Earth, not alien, the world is basically destroyed by nuclear weapons. This is about the survivors, the main character, Swan, is a teenage girl, and kind of the leader. A very tender, tenative romance, but that is all. Mostly about rebuilding civilization.

message 3: by L J (new)

L J Robin D. Owens SF series. Celta is my favorite. People with psychic abilities flee earth but do not reach the intended planet. Planet Celta enhances their abilities but is hard to survive in other ways. I was totally lured in by the fams, companion animals with psychic abilities.

message 4: by WordGobbler (new)

WordGobbler The Kurtherian Gambit Series by Michael Anderle. Start with Death Becomes Her.
They are not what you would you would normally count on from a vampire/were series. And the main heroine kicks some major @ss all over! The writing style was a bit different than I was accustomed to and it took the first 4 or 5 chapters of the book for me to get used to it, after that it didn't bother me anymore.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6966 comments Mod
Slouch Witch this is a series that is mainly fantasy with some humour. Romance is secondary, but there is a bit. It's a parallel earth series, where things are very similar to our Earth, but there is one major difference. In this series the difference is that magic works. The h is smart and powerful but basically lazy. She does save the world though, and does it for 2 more books and a novella. I enjoyed her, she's snarky and doesn't take anything off of anyone.

I'm not totally sure that's what you are interested in, but thought I'd suggest it anyway.

If you are really serious about sci-fi you might also check out: Valor's Choice (Tanya Huff's Confederation series. Interesting world building and Tanya is good at world building.

Dorsai! first book in Gordon R. Dickson's Childe Cycle I don't remember any romance in this series, but there might be some. Again, the world building is great.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 185 comments Have you ever read Dune and the sequels/prequels? It's a blend of sci-fi, ecology and spirituality set far in the future with heavy echoes of the past (an emperor rules the universe and great houses vie for wealth and prestige). It's heavy on survival and treachery, has some romance and features several strong female characters. It's not small, either!

message 7: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments The Risen Empire - Intelligent space opera with good worldbuilding, strong female characters, some romance (that ties strongly into the overall plot rather than being throwaway) and survival (of the "soldier in enemy territory" variety).

message 8: by WordGobbler (new)

WordGobbler Twist wrote: "WordGobbler wrote: "The Kurtherian Gambit Series by Michael Anderle. Start with Death Becomes Her.
They are not what you would you would normally count on from a vampire/were series. And the main ..."

" I am going to give it a try. I am not really into the vampire/were part of it, at this time. I do love a good paranormal, but I am looking for more sci-fi at the moment. But hey, it is on KU, so we shall see."

It is NOT what you would normally expect in a vampire/were book. It is probably the most unique vampire/were series I have read (and I read about 3 books a week).
I want to tell you more but I don't want to give spoilers! It will definitely match up with the scifi, it has AI's, aliens, other planets. Its crazy, has all things that go boom, and the toughest snarkiest main female character I have read. lol

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

The Watch Below is not, strictly speaking a Sci-fi. But it does have some elements. What it truly is, is the story of survival. It starts out during WWII, when a ship is hit by, and sunk by a German sub. But there are survivors caught in the ship--not many, but a few. And, running parallel to the story of that ship, is the story of another ship--this one a ship that is fleeing I think a nova. It's an older (ok, really old) book, but James White wrote some very interesting books.

message 10: by L J (new)

L J Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "The Watch Below is not, strictly speaking a Sci-fi. But it does have some elements. What it truly is, is the story of survival. It starts out during WWII, when a ship is hit by, and..."

James White is one of my favorite SF authors and now that I think about it most of what he writes has to do with characters surviving and hospital station stories do have a romance.

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I agree L J Isn't he a great writer? I loved all of his Sector General 12 series. His standalones are good too.

message 12: by Lois (new)

Lois Loved "Station Eleven". Survivors of pandemic, but much more than that. Strong female protagonist.

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36611 comments Mod
OP (original poster) left Goodreads. Moving to the "Query abandoned by poster" folder.