The Sword and Laser discussion

Need Recommendations for Next Audiobook(s)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila Jean (last edited Aug 21, 2018 06:33PM) (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments I've caught up on most of my pre-purchased and/or library-requested audio books. I have some stuff in my wish list, but I don't remember how most of them ended up there. Looking for suggestions on what to listen to after I finish up the Binti books on Hoopla this week.

I've listened to a decent number of audio books already.

Edit: I do a decent amount of dead tree and e-books as well, so what really stands out for the quality of its narration?

message 2: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 150 comments I'm currently listening to The Sudden Appearance of Hope and am worried I might not finish before the library checkout expires. The narrator is fantastic, different characters and accents, without "doing voices".

Another fantastic narrator from my reads this year is A Natural History of Dragons. Kate Reading was such an incredible narrator that I'm planning to explore other series she's read, in addition to continuing with this series.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2590 comments The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch is very entertaining and the audio versions narrated by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith are outstanding. First book in the series is Midnight Riot. I went a few pages deep into your list and didn't see it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4221 comments It's not SFF, but I recently listened to Apollo 8: The Thrilling Story of the First Mission to the Moon. The audiobook was fantastic. I couldn't stop listening, and the audiobook I think is the "better" way to read it since it has an interview with Frank Borman at the end and then some of the actual mission audio. I really want them to do (re-do?) the audiobook of Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 in this format, with this narrator.

message 5: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments Thanks for the recommendations. There's good variety here and I have not yet read any of the suggestions. Looks like it's time to check the library and my audible credits and pick one since I finished the 3rd Binti books on the drive into work!

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Bellevie (cbellevie) | 37 comments I started listening to Apollo 8 based on the above recommendation and am really enjoying that. Appreciate the mention!

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6925 comments Mod
I'd second Mark's Recommendation of Midnight Riot, but it looks like you're already listening to it. lol

Based on your to read list: The Collapsing Empire was good in audio.

I also highly recommend The Thousand Names. The first book is a bit heavy on the military stuff, but still good. And I think the next 4 books especially books 3 & 4 are excellent.

For lighter fare, maybe something like Off to Be the Wizard which is narrated by Luke Daniels whose one of my favorites.

I have my own long list of audio books, and any I've listened in the last 5+ years or so should have a review of the narration: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 8: by Sheila Jean (last edited Aug 24, 2018 08:53AM) (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments The library had Midnight Riot available for checkout so I grabbed it when I finished Binti yesterday morning.

Enjoying it so far, including little stuff like this: "Number two was a magical library [where list of magical stuff was kept] all of them written in Latin, so all Greek to me."

message 9: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1530 comments Sheila Jean wrote: "The library had Midnight Riot available for checkout so I grabbed it when I finished Binti yesterday morning.

Enjoying it so far, including little stuff like this: "Number two was ..."

I am still befuddled why this isn't called River's of London in the US?

message 10: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4221 comments Chris wrote: "I started listening to Apollo 8 based on the above recommendation and am really enjoying that. Appreciate the mention!"

Glad you like it!

message 11: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments In addition to immediately checking out Midnight Riot (as noted in msg #8) I've since listened to Off to Be the Wizard and A Natural History of Dragons. Both were nice and light and refreshing, especially after finally making myself wrap up Golden Son, which I apparently started listening to over 2+ years ago.

I still have your other recommendations noted as well, and I'm sure I'll get to them in due course. Thanks!!