Literally Leander discussion

Under a Painted Sky
This topic is about Under a Painted Sky
Book Discussions - 2018 > First Impressions - December

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leander Public Library | 156 comments Mod
Our book for December 2018 is Under a Painted Sky, Stacey Lee's debut novel.

A historical fiction that focuses a bit on gender and race, Under a Painted Sky tells the story of two girls crossing the frontier as boys to save their lives, and, of course, it doesn't skimp on the themes of the western frontier.

Have you ever read anything by Stacey Lee? Are you excited to read a western? Let us know!

message 2: by Kristen (last edited Aug 21, 2018 08:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen | 145 comments I read Under a Painted Sky earlier this year and really liked it! Stacey Lee is one of my favorite authors; I've read all of the books she currently has published and have already marked her 2019 book (The Downstairs Girl) as "want to read."

Before, I didn't really think of westerns as a young adult genre; they scream "old man" to me, but I've found that I don't mind the genre. After all, it's a subgenre of historical fictions, and I adore those.

I might give this one a reread if I think about it. I do remember that I followed it up with Vengeance Road, which has a slightly similar premise. I admit that I get the two of them mixed up so I might need a bit of a refresher for discussion. :)

Christine | 130 comments I have not read any of Stacey Lee's other books, but most of them are on my TBR list. I am excited to read a western because it is a genre that is new to me. I am particularly excited to read Under a Painted Sky because it, along with many of Stacey Lee's other books, is on the Amelia Bloomer Book List for being a well-written book with significant feminist content.

Kristen | 145 comments Christine wrote: "I am particularly excited to read Under a Painted Sky because it, along with many of Stacey Lee's other books, is on the Amelia Bloomer Book List for being a well-written book with significant feminist content."

Really? I had no idea that Stacey Lee's books made it onto any sort of list (of course, I'm pretty terrible about paying attention to book awards in general.) But I can honestly say I'm not surprised. Lee's books all feature pretty strong female leads who are willing to stand up for what they believe in.

But honestly, I think many historical fictions in YA can lay some sort of claim on feminist content. I can't actually think of a historical fiction that doesn't feature a female who perpetuates (or at least tries to) the idea that a woman can do just as well as a man. Maybe it's an era thing, though, too--books with feminist values are becoming more and more prevalent, when not too long ago, people were calling books with the same general plot as "daring" or "unique." But I digress.

message 5: by Christine (last edited Dec 05, 2018 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Christine | 130 comments Christine wrote: "I am particularly excited to read Under a Painted Sky because it, along with many of Stacey Lee's other books, is on the Amelia Bloomer Book List for being a well-written book with significant feminist content."

The Amelia Bloomer Book List is fairly new to me too. I think I discovered it this summer when I had to research an ALA book award for a school project. (Sadly, I had to chose another award to study since Amelia Bloomer is more of a book list than a book award.) But I'm attaching a link with information about the award if anyone is interested in reading other books with feminist content.
http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/award...