Literally Leander discussion

House of Furies (House of Furies, #1)
This topic is about House of Furies
Book Discussions - 2018 > First Impressions - November

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leander Public Library | 156 comments Mod
Our book for November 2018 House of Furies by Madeleine Roux.

House of Furies is the first book in a new series by Madeleine Roux, whose Asylum series made her a New York Times bestselling author. A mix of gothic horror and historical fiction, House of Furies is studded with illustrations and photograph collages that bring the story to life.

Have you read any of Madeleine Roux's previous books? How do you feel about the horror genre, and our first horror book club pick? Let us know!

Kristen | 145 comments I'm tentatively excited for this book. Like, it sounds interesting and I've liked the handful of Roux's previous books that I've read, but horror is generally not my thing. It doesn't stop me from reading it, though. I'm convinced that some subconscious part of myself is determined to love horror, so I keep reading them (and I keep being disappointed by them.)

I'm totally willing to give House of Furies a try though. Most of the time my complaints are along the lines of the fact that horrors aren't very visual in prose form, but Roux fights that by adding photos and illustrations, like Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Fingers crossed that I like this book as much as I hope I will.

message 3: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine | 130 comments I have not read any of Madeleine Roux's other books. This book sounds interesting, but like Kristen, I am not a huge horror fan. I read Lizzie this year for the book club challenge, which I picked because I thought it would be less of a pure horror novel, and I hated it. I'm glad that the post mentioned the book has illustrations and photograph collages. I thought about listening to the book on audio, but it sounds like reading the print version is best for this book. I am interested to see how the illustrations and photograph collages enhance the book.