Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ceelee's "Better Late Than Never" July Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments Hello everyone! Been a bit of a crazy month as I had my CATS audition Aug 6 and 7 which went pretty well but they still haven't finalized the cast because they still need three men for roles. The waiting is driving me up the wall because I can't plan anything until I know if I am in the cast or not! As long as they haven't called me to say they can't use me, I consider myself still in the running!

Also the Seasonal Reading Challenge for Summer 2018 is winding down so I am scrambling to get those books finished by next week. I am totally behind in everything!

Maybe it was a good thing Adobe Digital Editions deleted the ARCs I had from First To Read a few weeks ago when I did an update on my tablet because I had several to finish this month. Still, I am disappointed because I wanted to read all of them! I really don't like ADE but it is all First To Read uses so I am stuck with them with their site.

There were two I did get to finish that I wanted to share and I think both might be good candidates for Group Reads here. One is The Drama Teacher by Koren Zailckas.

The Drama Teacher by Koren Zailckas

The story is about a girl who grows up living whit her either after her mother dies suddenly. Her father teaches her his occupation which is being a con artist. She also learns a bit about acting in school and becomes a good con artist herself and takes on the life with her boyfriend. She ends up in America and finds an easy mark in a woman who wants to help her and her children and the result leads is a tragic accident. I really liked it and thought the characters were interesting and believable and the story had some twists that surprised me.

Alos I read The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan.

The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1) by Dervla McTiernan

This is a new series set in Galway, Ireland. The main character is a policeman who moves form Dublin to t Galway to be closer to his girlfriend, He ends up doing a lot of cold cases and is given one that he actually had worked on years before. It is a good mystery and some plot twists I didn't see coming. And Galway is such an atmospheric place! I can't wait for the second in the series! I hope there really is one!

I finished SUNBURN by Laura Lippman
in early July.

Sunburn by Laura Lippman I liked it pretty well but CRIMSON LAKW

I liked it pretty well but I REALLY liked CRIMSON LAKE by Candice Fox!

Crimson Lake (Crimson Lake, #1) by Candice Fox

The setting in Queensland. Australia was really neat! I loved Ted and Amanda! And the geese! And Amanda's cats! Great story and twists! One of the best I have read all year!

I also finihsed MY COUSIN RACHEL by Daphne du Maurier for the SRC Group Read Summer Challenge on Goodreads and really loved it! I read it in high school but it didn't do anything for me. I am glad i decided d to read it again because I understood the story much better and love the Gothic elements! A true classic in that genre!

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

Finally, last but not least, I finsihed THE SILENCE OF THE LIBRARY by Miranda James!

The Silence of the Library (Cat in the Stacks, #5) by Miranda James

This is one of my all time favorite cozy mystery series and this addition to the series was one of the best! The topic of the old mysteries we used to read like Nancy drew, Hardy Boys, Trixie Beldon etc was so intriguing and nostalgic, it makes me want to dig out some of those and read them again!c

That is it for this month! My August reads are a good mix and I will be able to talk more about them next time. Enjoy the rest of August and hopefully none of you will encounter any fires or floods, except in the books you read!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15079 comments Good luck with Cats and completing the reading challenge Ceelee! Nice list of books, I agree that Crimson Lake was terrific. Several that you read do look very tempting!

message 3: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments Thanks Ann! I don't know the reason for the duplicate posts!. So frustrating! I don't know if it is the app or my new router. I always post Monthly Reads on the desktop because the GR app has no way to edit a post or add covers or links to books so can't figure out how the second post happened. . I am using my tablet right now to see if it dupes the post.

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3135 comments This one was good,, bu the one on my thread duplicated.

message 5: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments I removed the duplicate one on your thread. I usually use my phone to comment but for some reason since i got an update from Samsung and ATT it duplicated almost everything I have posted here the past few days. Guess I will have to come to the computer to do any more comments. I have no idea why my own Monthly Read post duplicated because I always do that from the computer since GR's app doesn't have any editing function and you can't add books or covers. And on two separate days! Weird!

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Ceelee, you may have posted elsewhere and I missed it, but did you get the role in Cats?