Play Book Tag discussion

The Tourist (Milo Weaver, #1)
This topic is about The Tourist
August 2018: Espionage > The Tourist - Olen Steinhauer (3 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments The Tourist - Olen Steinhauer

3 1/2 stars

Milo Weaver is a former black ops agent, known as a tourist, for the CIA. After a case ends badly, he decides to retire from his secret life and become an analyst supporting other agents. Despite his desire to live an uneventful life with his wife and daughter, he finds himself being drawn back into the mystery, intrigue and danger of post-9/11 espionage.

I liked this book. It was different than other espionage/spy stories because of Milo's family and his attempts to balance his work with his home life. The twists and turns were interesting and unsuspecting. I did find some of the pivots of the story a bit clunky and I was a bit annoyed my Milo's wife's frustration at his secrets (she knew he worked for the CIA yet she was upset he wouldn't tell her the details of where he went and what he was doing for work). Overall it was an interesting read/listen and I am grateful for the recommendation.

Booknblues | 6864 comments Have you read the others in this series?

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments No, this is the first one I read.

Booknblues | 6864 comments There are two more but The Tourist is the first.

I enjoyed the series when I read it.

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments I definitely enjoyed it. Especially since it is out of my usual comfort zone. I am putting the next one on my wish list.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to confess that I saw the movie the Tourist and thought this book was it. When I started the book many years ago I realized it was not the same thing and quit it. I know it was only because I was expecting something else. I like your review and I didn't know there were other books. I should give it a try again.