Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments A very good and very fascinating non-fiction. The story is about a spy operation. The book I read previous to this was a fictional espionage novel. In that one, the spy was collecting information but in this the idea is to disseminate false information. Variety for my month of reading espionage.

The story was such a surprise. The British come up with an idea for the Germans to find important papers on a dead officer. But where to find such a body? I never would have imagined what they had to go through to make that happen. The book goes into detail and its amazing. That it could possible work in spite of so many issues boggles the mind. Another thing I found so amazing was the preparations for the invasion of Sicily, the numbers of materials needed was just huge. The story is filled with famous names, many became authors but the one most would know is Ian Fleming who had a part in the Operation.

I really enjoyed the ending where the author reviews each of the major people in this operation on all sides, and what happened to them through their lives following the period in this story. I had both the audio and the book. The audio was quite good - John Lee is an excellent narrator/reader. I liked having the book too because of the pictures.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments This sounds like a very entertaining read Barbara-thanks for the review-know I won't get to this month, but going on my TBR