Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julian (new)

Julian Anderson (julianaanderson) | 3 comments Hello
I would to add my latest book to my author page. Details as follows.
Title Harvest of minds
Author Julian A. Anderson
Publication date 13 March 2017
Format ebook Kindle edition
ASIN B06XCP91D5
Link to book page https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
My profile https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Thank you

message 2: by Alison (last edited Aug 21, 2018 09:01PM) (new)

Alison | 958 comments Please note that Kindle editions do not have ISBNs; they have ASINs--for example, B00T3AYS42. Please do not list an ISBN13 in the ISBN10 field, because the number will get cut off and will be incorrect.

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...

Could another librarian please take a look at the books on this profile? Kindles have ISBNs, and ASINs are largely missing, and there is a truncated ISBN that may be an ACE. Thanks!

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Reverted a number of book changes. All the books should be in proper state now.

message 4: by Julian (new)

Julian Anderson (julianaanderson) | 3 comments Hello Alison, Grateful if you could kindly clarify your point about ISBNs? All books including Kindles can have ISBNs. Amazon uses ASINs as an internal reference system. On the point about correct use of 13 digit ISBNs, I am happy to check all are in the correct box.
Thanks

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26924 comments That may be true Julian, but GR only uses asins for kindle editions. It is GR policy and as volunteers we carry out policy.

Even many years before amazon purchased GR, we only used asins for kindle editions, so to call asins an internal system is incorrect.

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane Ireland (readingwithmydog) | 1 comments Hi, just wanted to mention that the edition of Midnights Children I'm reading is not showing but has the same ISBN as the 25th anniversary edition on here. Annoying as page quantity is dramatically different and when I'm tracking my reading the
percentage is incorrect. ISBN is 9780099578512 Thanks

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison | 958 comments Philip wrote: "Reverted a number of book changes. All the books should be in proper state now."

Thanks, Philip!

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison | 958 comments Jane wrote: "Hi, just wanted to mention that the edition of Midnights Children I'm reading is not showing but has the same ISBN as the 25th anniversary edition on here. Annoying as page quantity is dramatically..."

Jane, please start a new thread following the instructions here to get your edition onto the site: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... And do mention again that the ISBN is the same as an existing edition.

message 9: by Julian (new)

Julian Anderson (julianaanderson) | 3 comments Julian wrote: "Hello Alison, Grateful if you could kindly clarify your point about ISBNs? All books including Kindles can have ISBNs. Amazon uses ASINs as an internal reference system. On the point about correct ..."

Hello Alison. Just wanted to say thank you for adding the book so quickly. Re Asins/ISBNs, I will bear that in mind, although all my books will very soon be avaible across multiple platforms and formats.
Thanks again for your help. Very much appreciated
Julian

message 10: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Julian wrote: "Julian wrote: "Hello Alison, Grateful if you could kindly clarify your point about ISBNs? All books including Kindles can have ISBNs. Amazon uses ASINs as an internal reference system. On the point..."

#10 - If the ebook is available on other platforms that would get added to GR as an ebook (ISBN), but if it is available on Amazon it would also be added as a Kindle (ASIN).

So, if any of the changes that were made removed an ISBN that you will be releasing as an ebook on another platform then you can either create the new edition of just ask us to create the new ebook edition.