Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2018 Challenge Archive > 2018 September Pick-It-For-Me Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 207 (207 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments 2018 September PIFM Challenge
What is the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?

The Pick-It-For-Me Challenge (PIFM) is a reading challenge where each participant gives and receives book recommendations based on a given a set of rules. The assignment method and book selection rules change each month so it’s always new and always different.

The idea of the PIFM challenge is that you will get new-to-you books and authors selected for you as well as a push to read some books that have been lingering on your shelves. You may not be interested in the new books recommended, which is why you also get a minimum of four books from your shelf.

You only have to read ONE book to complete this challenge!

After signups are closed, your names and any extra info will go into the super secret PIFM randomizer and it will select someone for you to recommend books to and someone to give you recommendations. This list will be posted along with any specific picking rules for the month.

In order to participate you need to either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC(preferable), or friend the person giving you recommendations. PLEASE NOTE: if you choose to keep your profile private, it is your responsibility to send a friend request to the person picking for you as soon as possible after the matchups are posted. Whether your profile is private or not, it is also very important that your profile be set to receive Private Messages (PMs) in case anyone needs to reach out to you (mods, organizer etc.)

Everything gets done in this thread so be sure to come back often!!!

Repicks:
You can ask for repicks if:
✱ The books picked for you are not yet released.
✱ If you have already read the chosen book(s) and they are on your ‘read’ shelf.
✱ If you did not receive four picks from your ‘to-read’ shelf, with at least one from your preferred shelf.

You may NOT ask for repicks because:
✱ A book is not available at your library.
✱ A genre or author you don’t enjoy.

INFORMATION NEEDED TO SIGN UP
Please sign up in this thread with the answer to the following question using the song title that best describes your answer:

♫♫ What do you think of birthdays? ♫♫

a) "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing!" ~ Aerosmith, 1997
b) "Another Day in Paradise" ~ Phil Collins, 1989
c) "Another One Bites the Dust" ~ Queen, 1980
d) "Go Away" ~ Gloria Estefan, 1993

✱✱ If you have a preferred shelf, please list it along with your pick! ✱✱

IMPORTANT DATES
Sign ups will remain open until Monday, August 27 9am US PDT. Pickings will be posted by NOON US PDT.
For your convenience a Time Zone Converter.

You’ll have until August 30th @ 3 pm US PDT to make your recommendations.

Please do not start reading your book(s) until the first of the month. You then have the entire month to read your pick(s) and give some feedback.

If you’re new please read the PIFM Guidelines and FAQ . If you have any questions that are not addressed there, please feel free to ask!

✱Please note that late sign ups will be included at the host's discretion and no one will be included after re-picks are assigned!✱

message 2: by Sonja (last edited Aug 21, 2018 11:40AM) (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments TIPS TO MAKE THE CHALLENGE ENJOYABLE FOR EVERYONE!

Pickees
♫ To help your picker understand the type of books you like or are currently reading, please make sure your ‘read’ shelf is up to date. You can create shelves for books you DNFed (Did Not Finish) or authors that don’t work for you as well as favorite books and authors. In addition, you might consider updating your profile. You can include info about your favorite books, authors, genres, themes or tropes (or themes/tropes you dislike – i.e. secret baby).

♫ Please do not specify likes/dislikes in the sign-up thread. This information will not be included in the pairings and your pickee may not see your message and does not need to rely on that information when making picks.

Pickers
♫ Please remember this is primarily a romance readers group. Thus, most, if not all, of your picks should be romance. There are various sub genres within the romance category - Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Romantic Suspense, Erotica, M/M, Urban Fantasy. If your pickee reads a wide variety, you could add a non-romance as a choice.

♫ Choose at least 4 new titles for your pickee. These can be brand new to them (not found on any of their shelves) or a book found on their shelves if they've never read any of the author's work previously.

A few hints to help with book selection:
♫ Check the book’s publishing date. Select "date pub" from the checkbox selections and save.
♫ Check pickee's personalized shelves, especially their exclusive shelves. A personalized shelf is one the member has created. (e.g., 'to read next', 'favorites' ‘didn’t like’)
♫ Make sure the books you choose are not on their 'read' shelf. Just because it isn't rated doesn't mean it wasn't read.
♫ Look at your pickee's 'read' shelf and see what genres they have recently read or read the most. Reviewing their ‘read’ shelf might help you in choosing something they are interested in reading right now.
♫ If your pickee reads lots of books in a genre you are not familiar with (erotic romance, GLBT, YA, etc.) Contact the Mods or the month's organizer for guidance.
♫ Include a variety of books (e.g., shorter page count, new addition to their 'to-read' shelf, an older book on their 'to-read' shelf) This variety gives your pickee options when choosing the book or books they will be reading this month. Use the sort feature within their shelves to determine date a book was added, published or read; page numbers, ratings, etc.

If you want to volunteer to make repicks:
♫ We love that you want to help out, but please remember those who need picks have been waiting for a long time already. Please only volunteer if you are able to make the repicks within a few hours of the deadline. Thank you!

message 3: by Sonja (last edited Aug 27, 2018 04:14PM) (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments SIGNUPS CLOSED
(view spoiler)

message 4: by Sonja (last edited Aug 27, 2018 11:51AM) (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments PICKING RULES

I’m totally taking over RRRC this month and I'm gonna be a little narcissistic here. September is my birth month and the closer I get to another major milestone birthday, the more I reflect on my ‘prime’ years. Those would be the ‘90s. Ah the 90’s… when technology and the world wide web exploded into our daily lives, communism collapsed, prosperity reigned and MTV stopped showing music videos.
Speaking of music, let’s reminisce on some of my favorites from that decade’s most memorable hits - and if you're feeling reminiscent, feel free to check out the video link as well - since MTV no longer shows music videos... At least it'll be some fun background music while you're picking!

“Dangerous” Michael Jackson, 1991
Dangerous (Live) Video
My son is currently fascinated with MJ’s music (thanks to my husband). He's is trying to learn to moonwalk and is really upset he can't figure out how to do that lean! A little pre-90’s, but Dangerous released in the 90’s so it counts.
Recommend a book that
♫ features someone wearing a hat or gloves on the cover
♫ is set in a metropolitan city
♫ is tagged as romantic suspense or crime/romance

“Good Vibrations” Marky Mark, 1991
Good Vibrations Video
Oh Marky Mark… you will never live down this song - no matter how many tough-guy movies you appear in! (but you still got it!) ^_^
Recommend a book that
♫ features brothers (or sisters)
♫ made you happy or as a feel good message
♫ has someone dancing on the cover OR
♫ shows some bare skin on the cover!

“Smells Like Teen Spirit” Nirvana, 1992
Smells Like Teen Spirit Video
When Nirvana arrived, that was it for me. I put away my NKOTB paraphernalia and it was all about the Seattle grunge scene.
Recommend a book that
♫ is set in Seattle or the Pacific Northwest
♫ has a male character with long hair
♫ is shelved as YA or NA
♫ has plaid or someone wearing flannel on the cover

“I Will Always Love You” Whitney Houston, 1992
I Will Always Love You Video
I may have been wearing flannel shirts (which are apparently back in fashion!), but I will always love this song and consider it one of the best love songs of all time.
Recommend a book that
♫ features lovers separated for any period of time
♫ features a bodyguard, law enforcement or singer as an MC
♫ has lips on the cover or a couple kissing on the cover
♫ has a black or gray cover

“Macarena” Los Del Rio, 1993
Macarena Video
You’re welcome for getting this song stuck in your head… and don’t act like you don’t know the moves!
Recommend a book that
♫ has a Spanish-speaking character
♫ is part of a series
♫ has a multi-colored or brightly-colored cover

“Ants Marching” Dave Matthews Band, 1993
Ants Marching Video
I’m seeing DMB live this month!!! It’ll be my third time since the late 90's!!!
Recommend a book that
♫ is set in a workplace
♫ features a wealthy character OR
♫ features a working-class character
♫ has an animal or insect on the cover

“Wannabe” Spice Girls, 1996
Wannabe Video
I don’t care how posh she dresses now, Posh will always be Posh!
Recommend a book that
♫ has a hotel in the story
♫ has a group of close friends
♫ is set in the UK

“Everybody” Backstreet Boys, 1997
Everybody Video
I’ve also gotten my son into N’Sync and Backstreet Boys. He loves the dance moves, though he argues with me that J.T. just cannot be Branch from the Trolls movie… *eyeroll*
Recommend a book that
♫ features someone in disguise or who wears a costume in the story
♫ is a parody or retelling of another story
♫ has a historical or paranormal tag

“All Star” Smashmouth, 1999
All Star Video
September is the one month in the USA where nearly all major league sports are going on simultaneously – Baseball, Football, Soccer, Hockey and Basketball, which starts later in the month. And I’m a huge sports fan! My kids; however, call this the “Shrek” song…. *sigh*
Recommend a book that
♫ has a sports or sports romance tag
♫ has a mode of transportation on the cover
♫ features a hero/heroine or someone being rescued
♫ features a male MC

Hope you enjoyed this walk down memory lane - Happy Picking!

message 5: by Sonja (last edited Sep 02, 2018 11:33PM) (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments 2018 SEPTEMBER Pick-It-For-Me Challenge - Pairings

Please pick for the person ABOVE you on each list with the first person picking for the last person. For example, Carrie picks for Courtney and Courtney picks for True.magic.

✓ = Picks made.

a) "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing!" ~ Aerosmith, 1997
✓Courtney september-pfm
✓Carrie Soonish
Danielle Danielle's profile
✓*Lucia*to-read
✓Sonja pifm
✓MountainKat to-read-asap
✓Nancy HNancy H's profile
✓Hazel on-Kindle
✓SlytherpuffSome of the books I own
✓Elke on-deck-4-chlges
✓True.magic Pifm-To-Read

✓b) "Another Day in Paradise" ~ Phil Collins, 1989
✓Diane ~Firefly~ next-to-read
✓Mary-Megan august-september
✓Rebecca audio

c) "Another One Bites the Dust" ~ Queen, 1980
✓Carina nextofftheshelf
✓Stacie pas-bookopoly
✓Alexa Alexa's profile
✓Laura pick-for-me
✓LaurLa04-challenges-picklist
✓Leigh pick-it-for-me-challenge
✓Ashley Ashley's profile
✓*KathyD* Pick-Shelf-Must
✓KarenH cant-wait-to-read
✓Fran (private profile, Picker needs to friend!) PIFM Shelf

d) "Go Away" ~ Gloria Estefan, 1993
✓Suzanne Suzanne's profile
✓Ad Rocks Socks 2018-tbr
✓HeatherMarie04-picking

message 6: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 2230 comments I'll probably go with B "Another Day in Paradise" Any day that has cake and presents is definitely paradise to me :)

Please use: august-september

message 7: by True.magic (last edited Aug 21, 2018 01:13PM) (new)

True.magic | 126 comments I'm in for a) "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing!" ~ Aerosmith, 1997

Pifm-To-Read

message 8: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 3082 comments i’m in! while i love “i don’t wanna miss a thing,” i have to go with c “another one bites the dust”! =)
pick-shelf-must

message 9: by Carina (new)

Carina | 161 comments C) Another One Bites the Dust
Use nextofftheshelf

message 10: by Carrie (last edited Aug 21, 2018 03:12PM) (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 826 comments I'm in with a) "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing!" ~ Aerosmith

Please use my: Soonish shelf

message 11: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 978 comments I'm with A - "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"

message 12: by HeatherMarie (last edited Aug 21, 2018 08:42PM) (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 659 comments D Please.
04 picking

message 13: by Laura..devouring books like crumpets (last edited Aug 21, 2018 10:28PM) (new)

Laura..devouring books like crumpets (lauzacookie) | 1244 comments I'm C wish life could slow down a bit

my shelf
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 14: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff a) "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing!" ~ Aerosmith, 1997

My shelf:

message 15: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I'm going to be out of town for a few day so my picks might be a day or two late

message 16: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11481 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "I'm going to be out of town for a few day so my picks might be a day or two late"

Hi Slytherpuff!

If you can’t make your recommendations between Aug 27-30, you may want to consider waiting until next month to participate in this one. We try and keep this challenge to a strict time frame so everyone participating gets their recs timely and has time to search for and/or reserve any choices they may want to read for the month.
If there is any way you can get your recs posted during the time frame given we would love for you to join in!!

message 17: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I'll be home on the 29th. Would that work?

message 18: by Em⋆ (new)

Em⋆ | 5 comments I'm in with a) "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing!" ~ Aerosmith, 1997.
My shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 19: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11481 comments Yes! You can make picks until the 30th so that works out fine :)

Just be sure to check the opening post in this thread for the time of day the challenge closes on the 30th :)

message 20: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff Thank you. I have until 6 am on August 30th

message 21: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments I'm in please - 04-challenges-picklist‎

Most likely this is me....
"Another One Bites the Dust" ~ Queen, 1980

message 22: by Elke (new)

Elke (ejurca) | 1810 comments I am in!!

A) "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing!" for me!!

Please pick from my On deck 4 chlges

message 23: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments I'm with LaurLa, another one bites the dust.

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2108 comments I'm in and I'm "go away"

message 25: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 269 comments c) "Another One Bites the Dust" ~ Queen, 1980

message 26: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments Welcome one and all! I updated the Sign-ups message 3 above. Can you call double-check and let me know if I put you in the wrong spot? Radio silence means everything is okay. Thank you!

And thank you Fran for getting back to SlytherPuff on the pickings deadlines! Happy you can join us, SlytherPuff!

message 27: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1459 comments I'm in with B. I've expanded the birthday week to the birthday month!

shelf:
next-to-read

message 28: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11481 comments I'm in and I will go with C
(private profile, happy to friend anyone who picks for me)

PIFM Shelf

message 29: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments I’m with you on that one, Diane Firefly!

message 30: by Hazel (new)

Hazel (x1f4d6hx1f4d6) | 2387 comments Yes please. I missed last month due to being on holiday.

I am definitely A - I don’t Wanna Miss a Thing

Please pick from https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Thanks H x

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 251 comments A.

To read

message 32: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (psreadthisbook) | 313 comments I'm in for C.

message 33: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I’m in for A— “I don’t wanna miss a thing!”

message 34: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments Alright I'm up to date to here, welcome all!

Please take a quick moment to check the Sign up list and ensure I have you in the right group and that your shelf is correctly listed. Note: if you didn't specify a shelf, I linked to your profile.
Thanks! S

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 449 comments I'm in for c.

message 36: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bexsi) | 788 comments I'm having a hard time choosing between A and B.
B to make up the numbers.

message 37: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 23553 comments Me! I'm an A - love my birthday, even though I've celebrated it many, many times now...

Please use my to-read-asap shelf - thanks!

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bexsi) | 788 comments I forgot to say please use. audio

message 39: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 251 comments Instead of to-read, could you use september-pfm? I think it will make it a lot easier on my picker ;-)

message 40: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments Haha, thanks for choosing sides for the good of the challenge, Rebecca! 😊

Courtney, got your change and will add before I post pickers tomorrow.

We’ve got just about 24 hours left to join!

message 41: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments Sonja, can you add a shelf for me? I don't want my picker to have to go through over 1000 books on my TBR. Thanks!

pas-bookopoly

message 42: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments Sure thing, Stacie! What shelf do you want? I’m on mobile so if you already told me, no need to do so again. I can’t always see them on mobile and I’ll post tomorrow when I close the challenge. Thank you!

message 43: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments 12 hours left!!

message 44: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8263 comments I'm in! I think I'll go with C.

Please use my cant-wait-to-read shelf...thanks!

message 45: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments Sonja, the link should be in the post. I know the mobile is special so if you need it again, poke at me and I'm happy to post for you :)

message 46: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments Okay I'm officially closing the challenge! Anyone who wants to sign up after this post will have to wait until pairings are made.
Give me a few hours on the pairings, plz... work is being difficult today...

message 47: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments Pairings and Picking rules are finally up! Hope you all enjoy this month's theme!

message 48: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments Not to muck up the thread with chat but September is my birthday month too and it's a milestone for me as well!!

message 49: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (sonjac) | 1160 comments Stacie wrote: "Not to muck up the thread with chat but September is my birthday month too and it's a milestone for me as well!!"

HEY!! That's not muck, that's super important! What day are you? I'm the 16th

message 50: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments Sonja wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Not to muck up the thread with chat but September is my birthday month too and it's a milestone for me as well!!"

HEY!! That's not muck, that's super important! What day are you? I'..."

The 7th. The big 40.

« previous 1 3 4 5