Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children discussion

I NEED SOMEONE TO TALK ABOUT THIS BOOK WITH!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Haley Tribbey Ive fallen in love with this book and im not even completely done with it! I really need someone I can fangirl with!

Audrey F SAME!!! Except I've read that and the three that come after it!

Michelle Loved it too. Read them as fast as I could get them. Can't wait for the next in the series.

Audrey F Michelle wrote: "Loved it too. Read them as fast as I could get them. Can't wait for the next in the series."

Yup!

Madison my favorite trilogy. really mad about the movie though, they absolutely fricked that up, they even messed up names.

Audrey F Madison wrote: "my favorite trilogy. really mad about the movie though, they absolutely fricked that up, they even messed up names."

I have yet to see the movie

Amanda Jones I loved it too! Book was SO much better than the movie IMHO

Robyn Dolan Wow! Cannot believe this, there are 2 more books to this series. Glad I stopped by this discussion. Now I must get Tales of the Peculiar and Map of days.

Yes, I guess you can tell I enjoyed them. Yes, the movie is nearly always way off from the book. I love the stories Riggs came up with for his characters just by imagining them from the pictures.

message 9: by E (last edited Oct 22, 2018 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

E Puerta I gotta say, the first of the series is virtual perfection. It sets everything up nicely to keep readers wanting more. I hated the film too. Ruined practically everything, however, Tim Burton did a few things right:

–He added characters which don't make an appearance as characters in the book (but do in the pictures): the sadomasochistic ballerinas were soooo interesting but they were never developed. Also, the telepathic sisters, which only are talked about in the book promo (not even in the book itself, which is odd) was something worth developing, but they don't even make it into the film either (bad choice on both the part of the author and director). it's like Riggs just settled on the more common/cliché "peculiarities" and never even tried to see where he could take the lesser known, more interesting ones (Hugh and Horace, even Fiona have very intriguing peculiarities, which don't necessarily get touched on as much in the books as the others do).

–He made Enoch older, which, if you've paid attention throughout the entire trilogy, is relatively how he should look (he's not quite teen in appearance, but rather a 40-year old man, so Burton met this halfway).

–Also, despite being a flaw and incongruous to the book, the Emma-Olive switch is actually cool and interesting.....it may have the flaw in itself since the leaden shoes undermine her peculiarity, which ends up being revealed in the film as a "controller of air", which becomes really cool and more understandable than being a controller of fire during the underwater scene. It's not really explained in the book how Emma has the power to move water like that when she controls fire (and fire is not waterproof).

Overall, the film cannot compare to the book, but it does raise a small candle to it. And the first, apart from a small factor at the end is brilliantly constructed and written.....it's not until the second and third where, despite great story-telling, everything gets undermined by flaws and nonsensical oddities attempting to develop the world of Peculiardom, but simply destroy it, and throw everything out of proportion.

Haley Tribbey Omg this makes me so happy to hear everyone loved them as much as I did. I’m counting down to the day when the next one comes out!

message 11: by E (last edited Sep 24, 2018 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

E Puerta The next book.....or the next film? There aint gonna be a fourth book in this series.....and the film screwed up its chances for a sequel, so you just got the trilogy to work through. But quite frankly, though the other two are worth the read, their 9 blatant flaws bring everything down, and you're just sitting there going "why?" They don't quite live up to the glory and wonder of the first. However, despite the flaws it adds to the trilogy, the third and last instalment actually has a remarkably memorable cast of minor characters, and a great setting to boot. It's honestly sad that the film screwed up so badly, for the third indeed would have made a spectacular film (I had ideas for it!).

Haley Tribbey The next book is coming out in October?

Robyn Dolan Actually, there are 5 books. Tales of the Peculiar and Map of Days.

message 14: by E (new) - rated it 4 stars

E Puerta Ah ya! Just what I thought. Spin offs....not quite with the same characters. But that's exciting nonetheless.

Robyn Dolan My bad, Map of Days starts a new trilogy, apparently:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/b...

message 16: by E (new) - rated it 4 stars

E Puerta Oh! Fancy that! New trilogy with the same characters. I can only hope it's better constructed than the previous.

message 17: by Andy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy Audrey wrote: "Madison wrote: "my favorite trilogy. really mad about the movie though, they absolutely fricked that up, they even messed up names."

I have yet to see the movie"

I would recommend that you leave it that way. It is terrible.

Maddie James E wrote: "I gotta say, the first of the series is virtual perfection. It sets everything up nicely to keep readers wanting more. I hated the film too. Ruined practically everything, however, Tim Burton did a..."
Honestly, I'm so glad that I found this group, I finally found someone that sees the difference in the movie and the book. This is a great contribution

message 19: by E (new) - rated it 4 stars

E Puerta Well, I may not be the only one on this forum that sees the difference, but I'm def down to talk anything related to the Miss Peregrine trilogy and film (good AND bad).

Maddie James Maddie wrote: "E wrote: "I gotta say, the first of the series is virtual perfection. It sets everything up nicely to keep readers wanting more. I hated the film too. Ruined practically everything, however, Tim Bu..."

The movie to me is never as great as the book :)

message 21: by E (new) - rated it 4 stars

E Puerta I would say that's more applicable to YA books than other novels, for I've seen some rather good adaptations (but all my absolute favourite books have been botched, and that's unfair to those authors AND those fans).