International Book Club discussion

1 view
Paige's Book Progress > If You Knew Her

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 698 comments Mod
Prologue
In the prologue of the book we read abour the accident, the hit and run and it is a little chilling. You already get a sense something is up. The writing us so detailed you can imagine the scene, feel the brisk air, smell the water, and hear the sounds. You wonder why it happened.

Chapter one.
It is told in Alice's voice. You read about Alice, a nurse at a hospital in ward 9B. She has been there 5 years and is the regular nurse for Frank who is a locked-in patient. Meaning he can observe and hear what is going on and being said but cannot move anything or speak. Sharma thinks he is PVS, vegetative state. The docs are wrong and Alice knows it. She can sense it. We hear a bit about Alice's life, that she had 7 miscarraiges and her husband David only knows of a few of them. We learn her husband seems to be loving and caring man but we really do not know much about him.

Chaoter two.
Told in Frank's voice. You really have to feel for Frank because he cannot speak, move, or do anything. You hear how miserable he is and he really likes Alice being his nurse because she treats him as a being. He likes Lizzie to. He thinks Sharma, his doctor, is a complete idiot for calling him a Vegetable, for saying he really has no life. He yells in his head that he is here. He misses his family and you can really hear that he is depressed because of his situation. I do not blame him. Anyone would be if you are locked in your own body and cannot do anything or show any sign of life. He likes Alice because she calls him as locked in and not PVS. We learn of his family to but not much because they rarely see him. They even moved out of the country except his daughter who we don't hear of much.

message 2: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Now on chapter 7. We have discovered a secret that Cassie has. Seems her husband does not know of this secret or even her mother in law. Frank and Alice and her doctor Sharma are the only ones who really know. We also learn that Frank had a serious alcoholism problem and that it could be a huge result on why he has Locked-in Syndrome. We also learn Cassie is a painter and makes home made jams. Her neighbor Jonny is helped her to her first festival to sell jams and she got a cold chill from him. Nothing more.

message 3: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

I am about half done. Maybe more than half. I still don't think Jonny did it and I don't think her baby is her husbands. I also don't think Jack, her husband did it. To be honest I think Marcus did it. I think. I am totally 100% guessing but I think he did it.

As I read the book I think on contacting the author my thoughts because I really love this book. It is so brilliantly written that you know the characters. As if you are them or are their friends but you know them. You love them. You care for them. I want the author to know how much I loved her book.

message 4: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Wow. This is a great pieace of literature. You can really connect with the characters and feel like you have known them forever. You want justice for Cassie and Emily keeps you guessing on who it could be that hit her. You go from loving one character to hating the character back to loving the character. I really enjoyed the 3 person part of the story. You hear Alice's side of the story as she tries to figure out who had hit her patient and if it was an accident or not. You get to hear what Frank thinks as he is Cassie's neighbor who has Locked-in Syndrome and how he tries to go about saving Cassie. And you hear what happens to Cassie in the year leading up to the accident. You start to wonder who done what but it keeps you guessing until the very end of the book. The ending will shock you. If you want a book you cannot put down, pick up If You Knew Her.