This topic is about 1984
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > 1984 [October 22, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Ooh this book

Remember guys big brother is watching

Brittany | 150 comments I want to read this and I own it so I'm going to attempt to fit it in somehow..

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel | 1482 comments I've been meaning to reread this one.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Honestly I’m excited to see what you think

Also I would recommend you guys watching the 1984 version of 1984 (ironic no?) with John hurt

There will also be a remake that is set to be released next year which I can’t wait to see

message 6: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I've just started this, only a few pages in, can't believe I've never read it. I didn't realise it was play! Or at least, my copy is.

message 7: by Charlie (last edited Oct 24, 2018 03:51AM) (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I think I have a weird copy, either that or I'm just really dense but I have absolutely no idea what's going on and I'm about 1/4 of the way through.

I'm reading this copy... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments What copy do you have Charlie?

I’m not sure if you said your reading a play because it isn’t supposed to be

message 10: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments It's written like a play, it's super weird.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Yeah I think you got the wrong book Charlie this was written as a play by different people in 2013 so yeah

message 12: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Damn, this is the copy on Scribd and it's the copy my library has too. I'll have to see if I can get a different copy from Amazon and start again in a few days.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Whattt that's so weird! I've only ever seen the novel.

message 14: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I found another copy on Scribd, read for about 20 mins before realising it was a play too. I'm clearly not destined to read this!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Just to make sure is the format like a play as in it describes the action but then when the characters talk it’s shown differently if that makes sense?

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments It's only 84p on kindle if that helps. Or you can borrow my copy next time I see you.

message 17: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Ahdam wrote: "Just to make sure is the format like a play as in it describes the action but then when the characters talk it’s shown differently if that makes sense?"

yeah so it'll have some description like "the screen is moved and you can see the light shining through" and the dialogue will look like this:

Character: Insert words here.

Character 2: Insert more words
here.

I think I'll just buy it on kindle if it's so cheap.

message 18: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I've been reading a little more of this, it's very grim. I know people seem to love this book but I'm not really getting into it so far. I'm quite disappointed really.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments I really didn't like this book until quite near the end
I read it ages ago so can't remember the exact turning point, but say the last 100 pages or so I though were excellent.
Not sure if that encourages you! :)

message 20: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm going to carry on, fingers crossed it gets better!

message 21: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm going to have to DNF this. I'm just not feeling it at all and I don't want to force myself to read something I'm not enjoying.

message 22: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments It's such a shame because I know a lot of people think this book is amazing but it's just not for me right now.

message 23: by Avanti (new) - added it

Avanti Mukhopadhaya (avaunderstars) | 3 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm going to have to DNF this. I'm just not feeling it at all and I don't want to force myself to read something I'm not enjoying."
Hey Charlie, I DNFd it too. and I really really wanted to move it. Hopefully, someday I will pick this up again and give it a go.

message 24: by Ahdam (last edited Nov 05, 2018 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I'm genuinely surprised you guys didn't enjoy it I admit I had taken a break from this for a bit but I was hooked on it maybe because I'm aware of the allegories and the stuff Orwell is talking about or maybe I love dystopian and this one was pretty unique

Oh well there is always next time

I'm assuming your not a fan of it because of the way its written and I admit one specific chapter really annoyed me because it was essentially an info dump

message 25: by Avanti (new) - added it

Avanti Mukhopadhaya (avaunderstars) | 3 comments Ahdam wrote: "I'm genuinely surprised you guys didn't enjoy it I admit I had taken a break from this for a bit but I was hooked on it maybe because I'm aware of the allegories and the stuff Orwell is talking abo..."

I started reading this immediately after Fahrenheit 451, which i just loved. such a wonderfully executed dystopian.
SO, maybe I was in a wrong mindset for another dystopian.

message 26: by Ghanshyam (new)

Ghanshyam Dani We had an excerpt of the story back in school
I had enjoyed the story

But somehow never got around to reading the whole thing

message 27: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm not sure what it is that I don't like specifically. I think it's the writing, I'm just not connecting with it or the world.

Gavin | 182 comments I always feel like Orwell is a weird author. His books are full of fantastic quotes and messages but they absolutely suck as works of entertainment. Guy is just a bad storyteller.

Great book to study but awful book to read for enjoyment.

One day I'm going to get to reading my copy of Homage to Catalonia as I always felt like Orwell would be a much better non fiction writer.

message 29: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I think you've hit the nail on the head. I just didn't don't it enjoyable to read.