The Bibliophiles discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month > September BOTM Suggestions.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello all!

This group has read absolutely wonderful books the past few months and I have loved each one of them. However, they have mostly been very sad and heartbreaking and I think it's time we had a little pick-me-up! So, for September, lets read a book that makes us happy! Suggest a book that you have read or know to be a good lighthearted story with a happy ending for all involved. Let us start Autumn on a happy note before we get ready to be absorbed in some creepy goodness for October! ;)

Happy reading!

message 2: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 19 comments I'm new to this group, so I'm not sure what you've read in the past. Below are four novels that I know to have "happy" endings. I hope this helps.

There's "Spinning Silver" by Naomi Novik;
"Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen;
"The Four Loves" by C.S. Lewis (non-fiction);
"Brave Story" by Miyuki Miyabe.

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Crane | 0 comments Candyfloss by Jacqueline Wilson.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather This got rave reviews and it even says in the book blurb: happily ever after.

Atticus: A Woman’s Journey with the World’s Worst Behaved Dog

Atticus A Woman’s Journey with the World’s Worst Behaved Dog by S. Bennett

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Overmyer (bethyo) | 6 comments Have you guys done Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology yet?

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lois, thank you for the suggestions! These all sound great! If you're ever curious about what the group has read in the past, head over to the group's homepage through the desktop site and it will list out all of our books on the group's bookshelf.

Nikki, LOVE the Secret Garden!

Sophia, Tucker, John, and Heather, these all look fantastic! I've barely had the thread open for a day and I already know I'm going to have a difficult time narrowing this all down for the poll, like always !

Beth, we actually have read it and I loved it!! It definitely did have a lighthearted vibe and even made me chuckle a couple of times. Great suggestion though as it fits the theme well!

message 10: by Siddhant (new)

Siddhant Nath (yoyopandaking) We could do a graphic novel that's a little happy and a little sad in equal measure. Blankets by Craig Thompson.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Siddhant wrote: "We could do a graphic novel that's a little happy and a little sad in equal measure. Blankets by Craig Thompson."

That's a good idea!

message 12: by Petra (last edited Aug 22, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Petra Christopher Moore is always good for a fun read. I would suggest either:

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
or
Practical Demonkeeping

message 13: by Siddhant (new)

Siddhant Nath (yoyopandaking) @Lisa Thanks. I think it can work. It's not a small graphic novel either so it won't be a light read. It's around 500 pages.

message 14: by Sonali (new)

Sonali (sonalipawar26) 1. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
2. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
3. Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
4. Wonder by R.J. Palacio

message 15: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) Petra wrote: "Christopher Moore is always good for a fun read. I would suggest either:

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
or
Practical Demonkeeping"

I love Christopher Moore's books! I was thinking of him myself, but it's so hard to pick which to recommend. Both of those are really good.

message 16: by Petra (new)

Petra Whitney wrote: "I love Christopher Moore's books! I was thinking of him myself, but it's so hard to pick which to recommend. Both of those are really good. ..."

Me, too. He always makes me laugh. I really like Pine Cove and antics of the residents. Another favorite of mine is Island of the Sequined Love Nun.

message 17: by John (new)

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 58 comments Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends series is also a hoot.

message 18: by Whitney (last edited Aug 24, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

Whitney (wbandel) I recently read Sacré Bleu. It isn't quite as good as his other books, but as someone who studied art in college, I found the references hilarious. I wish he'd do another in the same style about Renaissance artists.

I think my favorite of his has to be A Dirty Job.

message 19: by Petra (new)

Petra Loved A Dirty Job and its sequel. Not as big a fan of the Bloodsucking series, sadly....I was looking forward to it.
I enjoyed Sacre Bleu. The references were funny.
At Christmas, The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror is a nice alternative Holiday story.

message 20: by Lois (new)

Lois Young (misty306) | 19 comments Lisa wrote: "Lois, thank you for the suggestions! These all sound great! If you're ever curious about what the group has read in the past, head over to the group's homepage through the desktop site and it will ..."

Thank you for the information. I will definitely look at the list. I hope my suggestions will be read in the near future.

MoodyReader2.0   (zjeena) | 85 comments Calling Mrs Christmas is a lovely light-hearted read by Carole Mathews

MoodyReader2.0   (zjeena) | 85 comments Sonali wrote: "1. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
2. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
3. Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
4. Wonder by R.J. Palacio"

I absolutely love Wonder!!!

MoodyReader2.0   (zjeena) | 85 comments I'd also like to suggest The Future of Us by Jay Asher.

message 24: by Sumant (new)

Sumant Bakshi (sumant_bakshi) Maharani by Ruskin Bond

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.