Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > There There - Tommy Orange, 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments This novel hurt. It is pain. It is the pain of a people dislocated and disassociated from their past, their present and their future. It is a history of pain, reflected in intergenerational trauma. It is also, the best novel I've read all year.

Told in the rotating voices of American Indian voices, from the the child to the grandmother, it shows us that they still exist, and that even today, living on the reservation or not, they are still saddled with the history of the genocide enacted upon them and how it shapes their lives.

One of the best aspects of the book was how stories that at first seemed completely unconnected, teased out the ways in which they were all connected to each other, even when they didn't know it. Add in the unfinished end to the book, because their story is not finished, and I was definitely hooked. I buy very few books these days, relying instead on my public library, but this is book is a keeper.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Yay! I’m so glad you loved it like it did. Great review

message 3: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments Great review, and agreed on all points. My favorite book of the year so far.

message 4: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Great review and this one just keeps moving up on my list. I know it will be an emotional read for me as Native American issues are really an important topic to me but I look forward to reading it.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I am on hold for this one at the library but I am moving up the list at a snail's pace!

message 6: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments NR - are you looking for audio or print?

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Nicole D. wrote: "NR - are you looking for audio or print?"

I have it on hold for audio. But, I am not in a hurry, I have several books sitting on my phone now to listen to.

I actually have a Kindle version of it if I decide that I just cannot wait any longer! lol

message 8: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments This is waiting at home for my return... looking forward to it.

message 9: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6847 comments Sara, I love your review. It definitely did hurt and I agree with you it is the best novel, I've read this year.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks Sara. I’m looking forward to getting to this at some stage.

message 11: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments For any of those that have listened to the audio version, is it good? I am trying to decide if I want to read on paper or listen to the audio.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments I can hardly wait for Sept 25 ... when Orange will be at my local indie bookseller. I've got my ticket already!