Book Cougars discussion

Episodes > Episode 57 - Orchard House interviews with Anne Boyd Rioux and Jan Turnquist

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
Chris and Emily chat about what they've just read, a joint jaunt to RJ Julia's Booksellers in Madison, CT, and share two interviews from our trip to Orchard House in Concord, MA.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin | 47 comments Great episode! Really enjoyed both interviews. On a side note, I'm always looking for books to recommend to my mom. She enjoys both historical fiction and mysteries so I told her about the Maggie Hope series. She already ran out and bought the first in the series. Thank you for the recommendation!

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 16 comments Great episode... I’ve just started reading Anita Shreves novel too ... The stars are fire .... really good so far ... such detail in the characters every word and action 😊

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 332 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "Great episode! Really enjoyed both interviews. On a side note, I'm always looking for books to recommend to my mom. She enjoys both historical fiction and mysteries so I told her about the Maggie H..."

Hope she enjoys it! Has she tried the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear? I haven't tried it yet but my mother-in-law loved it. I think it is post-WWI era. Another excellent series and one I've been thinking about re-reading is the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. Its one of my favorites. Victorian era Egyptologist.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin | 47 comments Chris wrote: "Robin wrote: "Great episode! Really enjoyed both interviews. On a side note, I'm always looking for books to recommend to my mom. She enjoys both historical fiction and mysteries so I told her abou..."

No, I don't think so. Great to find other mystery series she may enjoy. I might have to check out the Elizabeth Peters series - that sounds fun! Thank you!

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 19 comments I love the Amelia Peabody series, Maisie Dobbs is very good, but Maggie Hope was a DNF. It did not seem true to the times to me. Of course Amelia cannot be seen as realistic but the tone is entirely different.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Robin wrote: "Great episode! Really enjoyed both interviews. On a side note, I'm always looking for books to recommend to my mom. She enjoys both historical fiction and mysteries so I told her abou..."

Both my mom and sister love the Maisie Dobbs series. I read the first and enjoyed it but didn't keep up with them.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 284 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "Great episode... I’ve just started reading Anita Shreves novel too ... The stars are fire .... really good so far ... such detail in the characters every word and action 😊"

So glad you are enjoying it!