World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > Victoria & Abdul

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (last edited Aug 21, 2018 12:28AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16066 comments Watched the movie the other day and checked a bit the internet for a degree of authenticity. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...
Wow, quite a story there of a bonding friendship between the Queen of England and Empress of India & her Indian servant to become confidante and adviser, that caused quite a commotion within the royal house.
So maybe not as legendary as Antony and Cleopatra or Helen and Paris and of a different flavor, but extraordinary enough for a modern televised story.
Do you think their close relations influenced relations between the countries then subordinated, racial prejudice within her court? And do you think an exposure to foreign culture and mentality may sometimes bridge over differences and animosity?

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11781 comments Exposure to foreign culture certainly bridges differences. In Imperial Rome, anyone could be a Roman citizen, and there were even examples of African descent becoming Emperor, with many becoming Governors. In many ways, this is what bound the Empire together.

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6172 comments Did you watch the movie, Nik? Everyone in Victoria's life attacked the friendship, yet she defended him against every attack until her death (at least in the movie). Immediately after her death, Abdul and his family were deported, and all physical evidence of their friendship was burned. I didn't see any evidence of anyone learning anything about another culture except for Victoria, who embraced Indian culture. I thought about this movie for a while after I watched it, and it really seemed to be more about a lonely old woman wanting to make a connection with a young man who gave her attention - not about political change.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16066 comments Scout wrote: "... not about political change "

Agree, there was no political message in the movie, however my feeling(conclusion) is that those on Mount Olympus should condescend to the laymen more often for fun and bonding -:)

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6172 comments Yep :-) It certainly made Victoria happy. I just got an idea for a new thread.

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 0 comments Isn't it pretty much a sequel to "Her Majesty Mrs Brown"?

I'm a bit reluctant to watch a film that romanticizes the Raj, which was not good for India, to say the least (see Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World by Mike Davis).