Play Book Tag discussion

Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
This topic is about Priceless
Archive: Other Books > Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures by Robert K. Wittman - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4649 comments Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures by Robert K. Wittman - 5 stars

I almost put this under espionage and it's close, but it's not about playing governments against each other - it's about going undercover to solve thefts of art and antiquities.

Robert Wittman’s memoir about his 20-year career as an FBI agent specializing in art and cultural history crimes. He traveled internationally and worked undercover to recover stolen art and antiquities. The book takes each case, examines the history of the stolen property, and details the covert work required to recover it.

I found this book fascinating. It revolves around two of my personal passions: art and history. It includes intriguing elements such as art heists, fake deals, undercover subterfuge, and an insider’s view of the FBI. I flew through it.

Wittman’s account gives a glimpse of the what the FBI is like, from the recognition and accolades when they resolve a high-profile case to the bureaucracy, turf wars, and personality conflicts. I found his story captivating, especially the details of his undercover work, how he gains the criminals’ confidence, appeals to their greed, and eventually obtains the necessary evidence needed. My only issue with it is the colloquial writing style (lots of discussion of facts and food). Overall, I rated it 4.5 stars, rounded up. Recommended to those interested in art history, the FBI, or true crime.

Link to my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Jeremiah (new) - added it

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments This sounds like a very intriguing book. Not sure when it will make my current reading list, but I will add it to my TBR based on your review.

Joy D | 4649 comments J.W. wrote: "This sounds like a very intriguing book. Not sure when it will make my current reading list, but I will add it to my TBR based on your review."

Hope you enjoy it, J.W. I will look forward to hearing your thoughts at whatever time you get a chance to read it. I know what you mean about having lots on the current reading list!

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This does sound intriguing! I have also had The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History on my list forever as well.

One of these days...