What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Talk-Funny Girl
This topic is about The Talk-Funny Girl
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA book involving abusive parents/religious abuse. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Scheen | 2 comments I'm looking for a book I read a few years ago (hopefully I'm not mixing two separate books up) but from what I can remember this young girl lives with her parents who are town outcasts and attend this church that often supports the abuse of children. the book starts off with the girl looking for a job to make more money for the family. at some point I think the father ends up tying her up to a tree to leave her there overnight, and I'm pretty sure the mother becomes pregnant again with the father's baby and he becomes angry because he does not want to have to pay for more food to feed it. I believe the girl's aunt ends up helping the girl escape the abusive household and she moves in to live with her. I also remember the girl falling in love with the boy she ends up helping construct a building? I am not 100% sure, any leads would be helpful as I have found absolutely nothing

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments Yes, yes! And did the family also have its own lingo? (which was a cause of much ridicule in school and the community?)
We read it for the Alex Committee several years ago--let me see if I can dig it up!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments Jenna wrote: "I'm looking for a book I read a few years ago (hopefully I'm not mixing two separate books up) but from what I can remember this young girl lives with her parents who are town outcasts and attend t..."

Here we go:
The Talk-Funny Girl by Roland Merullo
It was one of the 2012 Alex Award books.

message 4: by Rosa (last edited Aug 20, 2018 08:47PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments The Talk-Funny Girl for Annscm’s suggestion, Burned for mine.

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Scheen | 2 comments Yes, it was The Talk-Funny Girl!!! Thank you so much!!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Perrigo | 19 comments You are welcome! I love when my random memory comes through!