Book Chat > 2018 Hugo Awards

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2880 comments Mod
2018 Hugo Award Winners

Best novel: The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin
Best novella: All Systems Red by Martha Wells

In a once-in-a-lifetime-aligning-of-the-stars-moment, I've actually read both these winners and would recommend them (story line was a little weak for Wells's book, but I loved the main character).

message 2: by Whitney (last edited Aug 20, 2018 07:32PM) (new)

Whitney | 2252 comments Mod
I can vouch for the quality of the short story winner, "Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience™,” by Rebecca Roanhorse (Apex, August 2017). As an added bonus, you can hear LeVar Burton read it: https://www.tor.com/2018/07/23/levar-...

And Jemisin's historic 3-time Hugo win is awesome!

message 3: by Marc (new)

That's definitely a bonus--thanks for the link, Whitney!

message 4: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2448 comments Very cool that each volume of Jemisin's series got the Hugo! It was a marvelous series.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I’m planning on going to Bubonicon (SF & F Convention) in Albuquerque this weekend. Rebecca Roanhorse is one of the speakers/moderators! I’m hoping to meet & congratulate her and maybe pick up a signed book. Jon Scalzi and George RR Martin are also going to be there.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Thank you Whitney for the podcast link! I added it and am definitely going to listen to Roanhorse’s story before Saturday! It’s my first time using the Podcast app on my phone.

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2252 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "Thank you Whitney for the podcast link! I added it and am definitely going to listen to Roanhorse’s story before Saturday! It’s my first time using the Podcast app on my phone."

Nice! LeVar never reads a dud, you'll want to check out his previous reads as well. Be careful with podcasts, though. Before you know it the "TB listened to" stack starts competing with the TBR and the TB watched :-)

message 8: by Marc (new)

Bubonicon sounds like a blast--have a great weekend, Pam, and let us know how it goes!

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Izaguirre (sweetji) | 122 comments I think it's awesome N.K. Jemisin won the 3 Hugo's, I am planning to read The Stone Sky this year and finish the trilogy. I have enjoyed it so far.